A picture taking question

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am hoping that someone will tell me how they take such good pictures of their cats/kittens in action. Every time I try to take a photo with my digital camera, the picture that actually is taken is always a few seconds after the actual photo that I wanted.
So I am constantly getting pictures of the my cats in a different pose or situation. Is there a specific way to use a digital camera so that I can capture the exact moment that I want? I feel like such a dope!
Thanks, Ellyn

jujubee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I second that question! My camera is such a pain, when i press the button, it does not take the picture for like 2 seconds, by then it's too late!!!

I will add to the question; if i take a short movie with my digital camera, how can i manipulate the movie, when I have it on the computer to get a 'screen shot' of said movie?

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lnbandcats

I am hoping that someone will tell me how they take such good pictures of their cats/kittens in action. Every time I try to take a photo with my digital camera, the picture that actually is taken is always a few seconds after the actual photo that I wanted.
So I am constantly getting pictures of the my cats in a different pose or situation. Is there a specific way to use a digital camera so that I can capture the exact moment that I want? I feel like such a dope!
Thanks, Ellyn
i would say try setting the cam to "action" so its able to take pics of moving things, and snaps faster.

Sounds like yours is a "point and shoot" cam, and not really for action shots. You can buy cams with faster snaps times.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JuJubee

I second that question! My camera is such a pain, when i press the button, it does not take the picture for like 2 seconds, by then it's too late!!!

I will add to the question; if i take a short movie with my digital camera, how can i manipulate the movie, when I have it on the computer to get a 'screen shot' of said movie?
you should have/get a program like PHOTOSHOP or ADOBE that you can use to make pics from movies and etc.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately lots of digital cameras have a "delay". I don't believe there is any way to avoid it. Some of the newer cameras don't do this anymore.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As Kelly said, most cameras have a delay, but you can 'help' things along by using the action shot setting when the camera is already on and if your camera has a setting to take multiple pics one after the other that can help too.

As far as making a movie, pause it while playing and press the print screen button is the 'simple' method. They will not generally be very good quality though if taken with your digital camera

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't blame the camera, blame the cat!

The little beggers move just when you snap the pic - they seem to have an instinct for it.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My camera will delay depending on how charged the batteries are and/or how much lighting it has to look for. My apartment is usually darker when I take photos (evening or night). Even with all my light sources on, it still takes some time.

When the cats are playing, I just keep clicking hoping to catch a good shot. I usually will get at least one this way but most are shots of tails or feet or a back
I delete those

I still wish I could get shots like some people here do. They are awesome.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

As Kelly said, most cameras have a delay, but you can 'help' things along by using the action shot setting when the camera is already on and if your camera has a setting to take multiple pics one after the other that can help too.
On my Canon there is a "sports" setting which is the same as action setting. It does not work with the flash, though. So, I have never been able to use it with my two
Its great for capturing pics of the nieces and nephews playing/skateboarding/skating

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I get the camera into a position where I think the kitty will be, then press the button half down so it auto focuses, then play with a toy, and press the button the rest of the way once the kitty is jumping.

I end up with a bunch of empty photos, or photos with a head cut off, but then I occasionally get gems like these:

But the only way I can do it (using the flash) is to have the camera already auto focused. It there's plenty of natural light, then go for the sports setting.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

Unfortunately lots of digital cameras have a "delay". I don't believe there is any way to avoid it. Some of the newer cameras don't do this anymore.
That's what I was going to say. I could never get good cat pictures with my old camera because it had a significant delay. My new camera has almost no delay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

Oh dear - this IS my new camera!
I will look for the action setting - I do think there is one, I just haven't found it, yet.
Thank you everyone for your help!
Ellyn

jujubee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found my action setting by going thru the on screen guide. So your setting may be 'in' the camera, rather than 'on' the camera. Know what i mean?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I do - I got a pretty simple camera that I can actually understand (most of the time) But I have all ready misplaced the guide book which actually had
details and tips on taking pictures...grrrrrr....I know it has a continuous picture mode as well. I will just have to play around more - I just envy
all of you who post beautiful pictures of your cats - and all I manage to shoot is their behind or tail or paw or a blur!