Anyone ever try to make "Friendship Bread"?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's where someone gives you a bag of starter batter and you need to squeeze it a few time once a day for a few days, then add more ingredients to the batter, then squeeze it again for a few more days and finally you can actually add the rest and bake the bread, saving starter bags for 4 more people? A girl at work gave me a bag (and brought in samples of the finished bread...delicious!) so I figured I'd give it a try.

It was fine for the first few days. I did the squeezing thing, then finally got to the part where I could add some more ingredients...and forgot to put the bag back in the cupboard. Needless to say, in the morning I woke up to a very messy counter and 6 cats licking their paws. well, 5 were licking their paws, Gizmo was still licking the counter...trying to clean up the evidence I guess.
Gotta love them!

I probably should thank them. Baking is not a talent of mine!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My MIL use to make it. I've never tried, though I'd like to.But, you gotta have 4 others that you can give a starter to.........and I have no one.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol ever since i get real about losing weight i have not made in bread.

man i miss that smell around the house.

and yes ladies i was the one that would make it.. nothing is better the freash hot bread, with melted butter, hmmm make my mouth water just thinking about it.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never done it myself, but I do have a funny story about it.

My step-grandmother had her nephew's wife for a visit. She brought some of the bread and starter and was telling us how it was done. Hers involved adding fruit and letting it sit (ferment). Also there was aunt (by marriage) who was enjoying the bread after berating other aunt (by marriage) for socializing with people who drank. (That uncle was a vice-president at the time and had to attend such parties even though he didn't drink.) I had to laugh - as did Mom - that the one aunt never caught on that fermentation was involved in the making of this bread.

Originally Posted by theimp98

and yes ladies i was the one that would make it.. nothing is better the freash hot bread, with melted butter, hmmm make my mouth water just thinking about it.
Bruce! Stop it!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was sweet that they were trying to save you the worry of baking. It would heat up your house unnecessarily in this heat wave anyway.

great....now I want fresh hot bread with whipped creamy butter...

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made that once and it was INCREDIBLY YUMMY!

But it weighed 8 pounds and was WICKED fattening! LOL!!!

The amount of sugar in that batter is unreal - I hope your kitties' tummies were ok after getting into it!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

what, you act like that is a bad thing.
The only bad thing about it is that I am stuck at work and don't have any access to it!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

The only bad thing about it is that I am stuck at work and don't have any access to it!
Now I am going to go to Great Harvest Bread this afternoon and use up my $10 gift card.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Now I am going to go to Great Harvest Bread this afternoon and use up my $10 gift card.
oooooooh, send some to me please! This is when I really wish teleportation works.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

oooooooh, send some to me please! This is when I really wish teleportation works.
I'll be trying to decide which bread (pepperoni is usually on Wednesday, good with a salad) or to get their chocolate chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. But if they have Asiago Pesto all deals are off!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

I'll be trying to decide which bread (pepperoni is usually on Wednesday, good with a salad) or to get their chocolate chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. But if they have Asiago Pesto all deals are off!
I refuse to come back to this thread until I have some bread product....

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes I've made it before with my mom. We also did not have 4 people to give starters to, but we found that you can freeze them and then restart whenever you like.

It sounds like a hassle, but this bread is so super tasty!

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've made it 2 or 3 times. It is very good once its made, but kind of gross sitting on the counter fermenting in a plastic bag. If you don't have 4 people to give it to, you can just bake a bunch of loaves yourself and freeze them. Yummy!

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

You cant eat bread while on a diet? Why not, whats bad about bread?