I'm going nuts!!!

shazam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need serious help!! My cat is constantly meowing to go out. I have a big cage in my yard, with easy access to it from the house, but he doesn't seem to enjoy it. I have toys hanging in there, and he can get plenty of sun, but still he comes in every few minutes, and meows to go out

I normally let him out loose at night, and he usually comes home in the morning, though sometimes he doesn't, and it worries me. I've tried weening him off of going out by leaving him in the cage overnight on a few occasions with the window open so that he can come inside, only to wake up with surprises of vomit on my floor, and diahrea in the litterbox. I normally let him out after dark so that the neighbors don't really seem him...I've had complaints in the past, and sometimes, I put him in the porch, and that seems to keep him quiet...that's the only thing that seems to work...I'd think that being out in a cage would beat being inside in a porch anyday!!

I've tried sleeping with the door closed, and while wearing earplugs...and I can still hear him. I've tried Feliway with no luck, catnip doesn't turn his crank, and I have another cat who's extremely quiet, that she doesn't even meow to let me know she's hungry, and I see them play together sometimes, so i don't think he's lonely. They both have full access to the entire house...there is not 1 closed door other than the outside doors

I'm going to call the vet to make an appointment, but he's done this since day 1, and everytime, I get a clean bill of health from the vet. I adopted him 2 years ago when he was a feral cat, plus he's been neutered...I don't know what else I can do. I've even tried the spray bottle until I heard that it wasn't a good idea, and even then, that didn't work.

I'm not proud of this, but I just grabbed him by the scruff of the neck, and yelled at him to shut up (been a rough day at work)...luckily he's been quiet for the last 15 minutes now, but I'm at my wit's end, and I feel extremely bad right now, and my other cat seems a little scared of me.

I need any advice anyone might have, but for now...I think I have to go suck up to him with treats

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shazam

...and sometimes, I put him in the porch, and that seems to keep him quiet...that's the only thing that seems to work...I'd think that being out in a cage would beat being inside in a porch anyday!!
By this do you mean an enclosed porch? If so and he is quiet and happy out there can't you just put him there when he yells to go out?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shazam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

By this do you mean an enclosed porch? If so and he is quiet and happy out there can't you just put him there when he yells to go out?
True enough...just really boring in there...would have to add toys, and a litterbox

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shazam

True enough...just really boring in there...would have to add toys, and a litterbox
But it sounds like it isn't boring to your cat?. By adding a litterbox, a bowl of water and some toys it would be worth it if it meant you got a good nights sleep?.

You've probably scared them by yelling and scruffing the other cat as well i'm afraid
And If he has a regular upset stomach then your right to take him to the vet