Should I adopt this cat?

jamie140

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sister's neighbour is moving, and is planning on giving her cat to the local cat shelter. However, this cat is older - about 13 years - and extremely overweight. I know the chances she has being adopted as opposed to being put down, but I do have some concerns:

firstly, that she;s an outdoor cat. My fiance and I are very firm on indoor-only cats, but I'm worried that she might not make the transition well.

Secondly, that she might not get along with our existing cat, Taz. Taz also came from the shelter, about 4 monthes ago, but she grew up with other cats, so she should be fine. We're not sure, though, how the new cat will react to sharing a house with another cat.

And finally, I'm concerned about what we should do about her weight. This cat is huge - probably 25-30 pounds.

All of these issues are compounded by the fact that she's older, and probably very stuck in her ways. Still, I don't want to send her to the pound, because I know her chances of making it out again are slim.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would at least give it a shot. She is old, a shelter would be way harder on her then being in your home. Get her a cozy room of her own to introduce her to your cat slowly. Remember that hissing and growling and swatting are COMPLETELY normal!! I would be suprised if they didn't do those things. Just go slow, be patient with her, give her her space and time to come around. Dont' try to pet her and cuddle her right away unless she comes to you. if she runs to hide, don't drag her out, just leave food for her and her litterox and play soft music and leave her be.

And shame on your friend for being so heartless

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I would at least give it a shot. She is old, a shelter would be way harder on her then being in your home. Get her a cozy room of her own to introduce her to your cat slowly. Remember that hissing and growling and swatting are COMPLETELY normal!! I would be suprised if they didn't do those things. Just go slow, be patient with her, give her her space and time to come around. Dont' try to pet her and cuddle her right away unless she comes to you. if she runs to hide, don't drag her out, just leave food for her and her litterox and play soft music and leave her be.

And shame on your friend for being so heartless
If she cannot be converted to indoor only perhaps you can make her an enclosure so she can be outside but still safe?

Once she's settled in maybe you can work with your vet to reduce her to a healthy weight.

Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jamie140

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice guys.

Looks like we're going to be taking her in. An enclosure might work, as a last resort, but we only have a balcony and it's already stuffed full with patio furniture.

If it doesn't work with us, we'll definitely find her another home without giving her to the SPCA.

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jamie140

Thanks for the advice guys.

Looks like we're going to be taking her in. An enclosure might work, as a last resort, but we only have a balcony and it's already stuffed full with patio furniture.

If it doesn't work with us, we'll definitely find her another home without giving her to the SPCA.
You are a very kind hearted person. I just can't believe how people can just give away their cat so easily.