Cat gets rabies, not been outside in 6 years

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably some kind of rodent or bat got in without the owners noticing. Rabies vax are required by law for a good reason.

ditka's_mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How sad for the owner of the cats. Not to sound mean but this could have all been avoided by a 15 dollar vaccination.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmm......wonder what kind of test could tell them what animal gave the cat rabies?? Especially if it hadn't been out or no one had noticed a wound. Interesting...

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

Hmmmmm......wonder what kind of test could tell them what animal gave the cat rabies?? Especially if it hadn't been out or no one had noticed a wound. Interesting...
I wondered that too. It's probably similar to the tests they can do on HIV that will determine where the person got it, who gave it to who, etc. Speculating.

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ditka's_mommy

How sad for the owner of the cats. Not to sound mean but this could have all been avoided by a 15 dollar vaccination.
This post brought up a question to me in regards to something that happened here. I know that this isn't the case for this particular situation, but have any of you heard of any animals in your areas contracting rabies even after being vaccinated? Just recently, in my area, a dog (Boxer) who was vaccinated against rabies and was an indoor dog (only allowed out into a fenced in yard) contracted rabies. I was just curious if it was happening in other places. Now that is scary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

javern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also wonder about how honest the pet owner is about the pets not going outside, just takes one time! Appears they never got vaccinations nor the required city pet licenses.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Javern

I also wonder about how honest the pet owner is about the pets not going outside, just takes one time! Appears they never got vaccinations nor the required city pet licenses.
I agree. There is a lot that is left to speculation.
I know a large majority of dogs that have the kennel cough vaccination come down with kennel cough. Kennel cough is like the flu. There are only so many strands the vaccination can cover. I have heard of animals coming down with vaccine related problems, including one of my own. The key is to do your own research and come up with a vaccination program you feel comfortable with, not just blindly follow what some "expert" suggests, as many of them vary in what they do suggest. I believe the vaccination protocols are being updated.

debskats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I saw that on the news last night too. Scary stuff! I haven't had my cats vaccinated in several years due to their chronic health problems but they all got vaccines for many years before that. This is making me re-think my decision though, especially since this happened within just a few miles from my house.

My first thought was that a bat got into the house. It doesn't take an actual bite to get rabies, it can be contracted from just the saliva of an infected animal! But I wondered too about whether the owners were completely honest about not letting the cat out.

I'm waiting anxiously for the results of the tests being run at Iowa State.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It's so easy for bats to get into a house (we had two last year). All it takes is a loose screen on a window, a window opened for cleaning, or a door propped open to bring large items into the house. They can colonize attics or crawlspaces, too, without people realizing they're there.

Just last year, a little girl in Indiana died of rabies after being bitten by a bat.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of cats having to be licensed -- only dogs. I'm sure it's not the case where I live.

And I don't believe a rabies vaccine is mandatory for cats here either. Mine had one last year, but not this year, due to unrelated health problems and the vet deciding that it was more important to administer a leukemia vaccine.

We're not in a region that has bats, and there are few rodents... it's mostly spiders and lizards.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I would like to know is what are the odds of a totally indoor cat getting rabies vs. a cat getting cancer from being vaccinated for rabies. Anybody know that one? I've googled, but can't find any good info.

kathryn41

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

What I would like to know is what are the odds of a totally indoor cat getting rabies vs. a cat getting cancer from being vaccinated for rabies. Anybody know that one? I've googled, but can't find any good info.
I too have concerns about injection related carcinomas and so have modified my cats vaccinations to a 3 year program for the ones they do get and even those are minimal. They are all totally indoor cats as well. The only one they do get yearly is for rabies. It is mandatory here for all animals to have rabies vaccinations. I did some research and discovered that all of the cancer related to rabies injections have occured using an adjuvanted vaccine - that means certain chemicals that have been added in addition to the vaccine for preservation, etc. My vet offers the Purevax rabies vaccine that is non-adjuvanted and has never had a case of injection related cancer occur. It is only available in annual formula rather than 3 year formula so, in order to meet the legal requirements plus to protect my cats, they get the annual non-adjuvanted rabies vaccine. Two of my cats also have severe allergic reactions to vaccinations so will not receive any other than the rabies vaccine and must also be pre-treated with an antihistamine prior to receiving the rabies shot. Talk to your vet and see if he/she will order in the Purevax vaccine.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet said that most of the cats that get rabies in our area are indoor cats. Typically it comes from bats (though it is very rare around here) that can fly in through the chimney or when someone opens a door. They bat gets freaked out by being inside and the cat gets excited, so they are more likely to come in contact than they do outside. Rabies is the only vaccine my two seniors (8 and 15) are still going to get.