Fish & chips, Fried Twinkies, Chip butty?

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, saw a coupon for Twinkies in the Sunday paper...one thing led to another, and the BF said,
"Let's go get Fish & Chips!"

So we went to a place that has all that stuff & more (incl. fried Snickers, Mars bars, Reese's!) --
The ChipShop in Brooklyn run by Brits. http://www.chipshopnyc.com/

So bad for you, but so tasty! Fried Cod & shrimp & scallops & chips: yum!

Fried Twinkies (that's right!) with a raspberry puree sauce: yummy!

Skipped the Chip Butty, though -- just too much -- from my understanding, it's like a french fries sandwich? (UKers correct me if I'm wrong
)

Oh, and a salad to balance things out
(Granny Smith apple + Stilton cheese + walnuts + greens)

P.S. For those of you in the area -- it's tough, we can't decide if we like it better than "A Salt & Battery" in the West Village (also run by Brits). http://www.asaltandbattery.com/indexb.html

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
fried twinkes are GOOOD!! so are the fried mars and oreos!!! TASTY!!!!!

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chip Butties- delicious, take one bun and butter (lots of butter, which will melt and drip onto fingers when...) add lashings of hot chips with salt and malt vinegar

Chips are chipped potatoes, unless I want tortilla chips, which being half-American I still refer to as chips not crisps (also chipped potatoes but imagine using a cheese grater to do slices). My this is confusing isn't it

The restaurants sound wonderful- any mushy peas, curry sauce, pickled onions and wallies

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Panini's (a chain all over Ohio and I think PA maybe a few other places) puts frenched fries and coleslaw in all their sandwiches. Drooooool... So good!

Deep fried Oreos are not as good as you'd think, although I seem to be the only person who doesn't like them.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chip Butties are great, but they can't be the skinny french fry type, they have to be the 'proper' fresh cut fries on a bun with lots of butter and salt and vinegar as Nate said

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by silentNate

Chip Butties- delicious, take one bun and butter (lots of butter, which will melt and drip onto fingers when...) add lashings of hot chips with salt and malt vinegar
I love chip butties! Every time we have fish and chips, which is not often, I ALWAYS have chip butties! Lots of butter is really important -you cannot have a chip buttie without butter dripping on your fingers!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love a good fish & chips. Yummy!

The wife is Scottish and tells me that they have fried kabobs....and that I'm not allowed to have one.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great now I want fish and chips....maybe I can talk hubby into them this weekend - we have a great place near us. Only problem is my gall stone...it will hurt, but probably be worth it!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiskerynature

So we went to a place that has all that stuff & more (incl. fried Snickers, Mars bars, Reese's!) --
I've got to tell you though, the fried Mars bar thing is something they do in Scotland

Originally Posted by whiskerynature

Skipped the Chip Butty, though -- just too much -- from my understanding, it's like a french fries sandwich? (UKers correct me if I'm wrong
)
Correct, only the chips are much thicker than french fries

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

They have fried Mars bars in the chip shop near my mum in London
Must be one of the few because we do menu slides for fish and chip shops around the country and none of them have had those on the menu, thank goodness.

No wonder Scotland is high on the list for heart attacks

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He was one of the first ones to jump on the fried chocolate bar wagon back when I was in 6th form, I remember walking up there for lunch with friends and he was 'perfecting' his recipe and asked if we wanted to try one, we all looked at him like he was crazy. Not long after fried mars bars were in the newspapers as the new 'big thing'

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

Lots of butter is really important -you cannot have a chip buttie without butter dripping on your fingers!
Yep lots of butter is the only way. I haven't had a chip buttie in a long time, lucky it's late or I'd have to go to the shops

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Yep lots of butter is the only way. I haven't had a chip buttie in a long time, lucky it's late or I'd have to go to the shops
ok, i need a pic of this 'chip buttie'!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is a buttie?

It sounds obscene. I gather it's some sort of... sandwich? Heart attack on a plate?

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So it's a drunk food?

Is it like a bun- sized frenched fry? What's in the middle? I can feel myself in a coma just thinking about it.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Its a sandwich made with thick chips (fries) in between bread and butter
so, it's basically a potato sandwich?
of course, if that ever caught on over here, they'd batter it & deep fry it