A Special Favor, Please!

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone.... I don't know if this is the right place to post or not, but I can see that many of you are in the Lounge now.

I have posted quite a bit about having 16 cats....all old and most rescued from Hurricane Andrew in 1992. They are all still alive....I brought them with me from Miami to Jacksonville....they are all indoor cats and getting old.

When I was in Miami, after rescusing them, I was on a pet forum with many people that had multiple cats. That forum is no longer available.

Is there anyone on this forum that has multiple cats? I realize that probably nobody is as crazy as I am....but....I have said many times, did not expect them to live this long.....although I was miss each and every one of them terribly...after they go.

I am semi-retired and 63 years old....and getting just a little more tired with daily chores of taking care of them....but....I CAN DO IT!!!

I miss tallking to people who have multiple cats and that would give me the strength and courage to carry on.....( I don't take in anymore, but still have all these babies).

I miss talking to people who understand why I did this so many years ago....and really would like to have contact with anyone who may be in a "similar" position.

They were all strays....some of them ferals....not one of them did I get from a pet shop or adoption center.

Please don't take this message the wrong way....I was hoping that I might hear from any of you that understand this....

I am hoping for a PM....as I am afraid to post this same message, as I did before, and have people tell me to "find them another home".....that is out of the question....nobody wants 10 to 18 year old cats.

All I was hoping for was someone that has many cats...who I can relate to.

If you all think I should not post something like this.....let me know.....or a monitor can delete it.

Thank you all so much.

Toomany and her babies.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
You've definitely found the right forums/site, as there are many members here with a lot of cats. I'm just not sure which forum your thread belongs in, so I'll leave it here for the time being.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there,...I´m your nemesis....
...Why? because after 7 years to get married, Milky came to our lives after 2 years of settle us...
...( he´s 5 years old ) and this year we adopt to a feral girl and she´s being settle now with us....
I can´t imagine how´s to live with those multiply of cats!
IMO should be soooo wonderful and delightful experience..

I can´t have many cats because the rushes of life made us stay for many hours to Home and Cats need much attention as you well do it my friend!

I admire your determination about this and I hope those members who has many cats as you ask can be in touch with you my friend!

Sinceresly, Rigz!...

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I only have 2 furbabies at the moment. I'd love more but DH is allergic. I do have 3 others at my parents to love on though! I know we have quite a few members with more than 5 cats...I believe at one time someone had about 40! I know they take a lot of work and love (ok and money!) but they just give so much back. I just don't understand how some people live without their furbabies!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have four which takes a lot of my time, but probably not comparable to the 16 you have!

There are a few people that have quite a few cats...

I *think* katiemae1277, neetanddave, halfpint, beandip, whitecatlover, snosrap all have (or have had) experience with a lot of kitties.

And not to say that you should rehome them, but just to let you know that there are people out there that will open their home to an older cat, I did and I love him to bits.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I have four which takes a lot of my time, but probably not comparable to the 16 you have!

I *think* katiemae1277, neetanddave, halfpint, beandip, whitecatlover, snosrap all have (or have had) experience with a lot of kitties.

And not to say that you should rehome them, but just to let you know that there are people out there that will open their home to an older cat, I did and I love him to bits.
Thanks for everyone's response....I do hope I will hear from at least one or two people that have more indoor cats.....

And....not trying to be sarcastis or whatever....but VERY FEW people want cats over 10....I tried it 3 years ago when I had to move and could not find a place to live....and I tried at least 25 or more references to get some of them homes....but.....then a person on a cat rescue forum found me this old house I am living in....where I can have them.

And...I am so, so, so grateful to that person.....to give a cat up that is over 10.....just doesn't happen that often....plus the fact that most of them are ferals...that only trust me....so that would not work.

so...thanks again.....I am going to shut this down, as I do not want to hear anyone else telling me to "re-home" them.....and I will handle it....

Sorry.....shoudl not have started this thread....nobody else has to respond....I will try to delete it.

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Thanks for the names of those on the forum who have multiple cats....but I will not intrude on them, unless they want to PM me.

Once again....I made another mistake by this thread. Going to delete it now.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really hope you don't re home them actually. You seem to be the perfect person to take care of these cats.
I give you a lot of respect for doing this. Without you, who else would take in all of these cats? If I had it my way I would have a house full of cats, but unfortunately my boyfriend won't allow me to have that many.

There are quite a few people on TCS that have a lot of cats. You should try getting in touch with them. Since everyone is in different time zones, they may be on later tonight and will see your thread later. Don't give up, there are plenty of people with the same situation.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm here!

I have plenty here, little more than a baker's dozen. And already been adopted by at least one stray in the six shorts months we've lived here.

Feel free to PM me, I'll be glad to talk about multiple cats anytime!

The biggest thing I can say is "hang in there."

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by toomany

Thanks for the names of those on the forum who have multiple cats....but I will not intrude on them, unless they want to PM me.

Once again....I made another mistake by this thread. Going to delete it now.
i think you're being overly sensitive. if you don't want to rehome them, just ignore those posters - they don't understand your reasons & your loving heart. keep the thread - there are several members with large cat households here. i personally have 5, but i also have a tiny house [under 1000 square feet]. i'd have more if i had the room!

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i think you're being overly sensitive. if you don't want to rehome them, just ignore those posters - they don't understand your reasons & your loving heart. keep the thread - there are several members with large cat households here. i personally have 5, but i also have a tiny house [under 1000 square feet]. i'd have more if i had the room!
Thanks.....I was wondering how long it would take someone to tell me I was being too sensitive....and you are absolutely correct.

When I first posted on this forum, I was told by a younger member that I should not have as many if I could not take care of them...before she even knew who I was, the circumstances, my age, etc., etc.

I got paranoid and didn't post anymore about the "multiple"....but...wanted to try it again.

I just need support....not sympathy or pity. Perhaps just how having this many old ones....can be so, so stressful....but because I love them so much...so much joy....and I CANNOT tell you how many funny stories I have about all of them.

At this moment, "The Mewster" (12 years old.....I saved him from a neighbor who was going to put him to sleep b/c her dogs did not like him) who is in the other room yelling his lungs out with loud mew-ows.....that is why he is named Mewseter....first it was Me Mew...b/c that is all he did....Meow, Meow, Meow..... he actually will sing with you if you sing the cords.....Mew, Mew, Mew, Mew....etc. ...you know...the music cords. All of my friends just die laughing.

Why is he yelling now??? He wants a piece of paper....his favorite toy for 11 years....roll up a piece of paper and throw it....he gets in...brings it back...and meows all the way back until you throw it again.

Perhaps I can post a picture of him in a minute...if I have any picture space left.

Thanks again for all you support....I just want to smile with them...not be afraid that they will all be gone in a few years and I have to look forward to that....it is not going to be easy....but I SWEAR their last years will be happy years...they deserve it.

Going to try to post pix of the Mewster on photo site.

thanks again....am tired....and will just get into bed with a ton of cats on me and tomorrow is another day.

Toomany

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't delete your post. We all love cats here and someone is always on line willing to talk about our babies.

I have eleven cats. Some are rescues/strays and my two newest babies are bengals. I love every one of my babies no matter how they came into my life and couldn't part with not one.

For the most part my cats came into my life as kittens, whether they were found in a busy parking lot, to running across the street. I have even driven hundreds of miles to adopt Sampson and Vanna down in Melborne Florida. Just because there was just something about Sampson's picture on the internet that touched me. He was a deaf kitten that they were having trouble placing in a home. I had to have his sister as well once we arrived.

Their ages range from 6 months to 10 years. So they are a fairly young crew.

I should own stock in my vets business. I visit the vet at least once a month for yearly exams if not twice sometimes if someone is ill.

Mocha is my special needs kitty. I found him being attacked by crows in a parking lot two years ago. He is very social with my husband and me. He mainly stays under my bed and comes out in the early morning or late at night. I can always count on him to jump in bed at night for nightly scratches and purrs. My parents have only seen pictures of Mocha.

Standing over Mocha causes him extreme stress so us laying in bed is the perfect solution.

I will tell you that my cats are high maintenance and I wouldn't have it any other way. They have the best food, the best medical care and if you ask my three sons the best seats in the house too!

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

Don't delete your post. We all love cats here and someone is always on line willing to talk about our babies.

I have eleven cats. Some are rescues/strays and my two newest babies are bengals. I love every one of my babies no matter how they came into my life and couldn't part with not one.

For the most part my cats came into my life as kittens, whether they were found in a busy parking lot, to running across the street. I have even driven hundreds of miles to adopt Sampson and Vanna down in Melborne Florida. Just because there was just something about Sampson's picture on the internet that touched me. He was a deaf kitten that they were having trouble placing in a home. I had to have his sister as well once we arrived.

Their ages range from 6 months to 10 years. So they are a fairly young crew.

I should own stock in my vets business. I visit the vet at least once a month for yearly exams if not twice sometimes if someone is ill.

Mocha is my special needs kitty. I found him being attacked by crows in a parking lot two years ago. He is very social with my husband and me. He mainly stays under my bed and comes out in the early morning or late at night. I can always count on him to jump in bed at night for nightly scratches and purrs. My parents have only seen pictures of Mocha.

Standing over Mocha causes him extreme stress so us laying in bed is the perfect solution.

I will tell you that my cats are high maintenance and I wouldn't have it any other way. They have the best food, the best medical care and if you ask my three sons the best seats in the house too!
Thank you so much for helping me....I was getting a little down. Now, I feel so much better. Your little story of Mocha makes me laugh....b/c Caboose, who I found injured, 9 years ago in Miami....is now blind. I posted about him and everyone helped me realize that he could get through this...and he is doing fairly well.

Caboose also hid....almost for three years....under the bed, etc., etc....but then when I moved to Jacksonville (I see you live in Florida)...he came out and started being social....but then he went blind about 6 months ago.

Thank you and everyone else for helping me out here....I really thought I was the only person with all these rescues and ferals.

P.S. If you love them...and take care of them (I do without things b/c of them)....then they will live FOREVER.....be prepared for that!!!!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that I came across as saying to rehome them, it isn't what I meant at all. I wouldn't rehome mine and I would never suggest that you rehome yours, particularly since you said in the original post that you were not rehoming them.

I wish I could have as many cats as you, but just don't have the time and space. I was just remarking on your comment that nobody would take an older cat, I guess I was being a little sensitive myself as Scully would have been PTS if we had not taken him as the shelters had the view point that no one would want an older obese cat.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Caboose is the cutest name for a kitty! My Latin teacher in high school had a blind kitty that I liked. (We'd left from her house for conventions so I got to see her a few times.) She was older but I don't remember exactly how old. I think they'd gotten her when their kids were maybe late elementary school age, and both were married when she was my teacher. I liked watching how she'd walk around their house and how I could tell she was observing from sounds and smells. Do you notice things like that with Caboose?

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who joined TCS from another site that has now closed. Her name is Janette, and she lives in Washington state. She takes care of around 30 cats, all of which are either feral or 'unadoptable'. She's a wonderful, caring person, and I'm sure she'd love to 'chat' with you! Her username is JanCat15. PM her and mention me. I'm sure you both have lots in common!

Pookie & the girls

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't imagine having 16 cats! I only have 6 and sometimes I think they are driving me insane (but I love them to pieces). You are a wonderful person to take in that may strays and give them good lives.

I know that taking care of that many would be like endless work. If it's wearing you out a little, have you thought about hiring a neighborhood kid to clean the litter boxes or something? It would be one less thing you would have to do, and give you more time to spend with your babies.

I'm glad you started this thread. I'm looking forward to hearing more stories about your "zoo"

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a multi-cat indoor and outdoor household. Apperently, I'm the only one here (that I know of right at this moment) who takes care of a bunch (putting it mildly) of cats. Of course, my neighbors dumped theirs on me so I know I'm the only one around here. LOL

We take care of special needs/unadoptable/unwanted/unloved kitties, and ferals and strays. I should say they were unwanted/unloved/unadoptable until they came here. With us, they are loved/wanted and we got adopted by them.

Feel free to PM me anytime you want to chat. My foster is the youngest (about 4 - 5 weeks) and our oldest now (my RB Pickles lived to be 17) is 10 years.

Chrissy

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by toomany

When I first posted on this forum, I was told by a younger member that I should not have as many if I could not take care of them...before she even knew who I was, the circumstances, my age, etc., etc.

I got paranoid and didn't post anymore about the "multiple"....but...wanted to try it again.
At some point, most of us learn to THINK before we post, so we don't say stupid and unkind things like what was said to you.
I'm really sorry that happened.

We have six cats in our house, and every single one of them is absolutely essential. Couldn't do without 'em.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only currently have 4 cats, but I just wanted to say I really admire you dedication and your loving heart. Without you those cats would have no chance.....you are an angel to them. I really hope that you can find the support you need from TCS. Good luck.