Constantly tired...medical problem??? (need some inuput!)

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So this morning Colin and I were talking and he brought up the topic of me constantly being tired. For as long as I can remember I have always been tired. (even back in high school when i was constantly working out and exercising).

Over the past few months i have not worked out as much as i should and he thinks that may have something to do with me being soo tired and have 0 motivation to do much of anything (i just force myself to do things) -(but i only think it may be part of it.) At the end of the month though i'm joining a new gym (city employees get an AWESOME discount
) and I am also scheduling a docotors appointment to see if this is an issue or not before my insurance goes out in july.

BUT in the mean time i'd be really interested to see if any of you have gone through this before and what was causing you to be soo tired (how did you resolve it/ get more energy?) It is not uncommon for me on my days off to sleep 10-14 hours (not on purpose- i don't WANT to sleep all day- but i just can't help it- i sleep through alarm clocks and i just stay soo tired) when i get 6-8 hours i still feel like i haven't had enough rest even when i get the recommended amount.

Yesterday after work for instance- i was watching the news around 6 when i fell asleep in the living room (not even planning on taking a nap) when i woke up it was 6:30 so i figured i'd go lay down for a little nap and then get up after while. That didn't happen- i slept straight through my alarm. I did not wake up until 8:30 am this morning. (i know that's definitely over sleeping- but that wasn't even intentional!) that was about 14 straight hours that i slept. And i was still tired this morning when i got up to take care of the aniamls/clean house.

I don't know what's going on with me- Anemia has been ruled out 3 times (my doctors kept insisting on retesting me for it but so far i'm negative (thankfully!) I have had a bunch of problems with my potassium levels dipping very low in recent months and was put on medicine for a temporary amount of time- and when i was on that - it REALLY helped. So i may get my potassium levels retested and see if they're ok now or if i need to be back on meds for it.

Colin and I both think that working out regurally will help- so that's definitely going to happen. I didn't realize what a big problem this was until Colin sat me down this morning and pointed out just how concerned he was about me being constantly exhausted/never getting enough sleep. But i think there's something wrong in addition to that- i just don't know. Any ideas?? I'd like to write some suggestions /etc down before i go to the doctor so i can ask about them. Thanks guys!!!

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i got this off the net, maybe it can help??

Constantly Tired - Natural Solutions

“Are you constantly tired?” If this question makes you want to roll over, hit the snooze bar and pull the covers up over your head, then it’s time we had a little talk.

Tiredness is not an issue over which you should bury your head in the covers. Actually, fatigue, the tiredness most people feel on a daily basis, is the first symptom of all degenerative disease.

If you wake up tired in the morning, lack the energy to make it through the day without a stimulating pick-me-up (“don’t talk to me until I’ve had my morning coffee”) and you haven’t got the energy to exercise or even walk from the couch to the TV set to change the dial, then your get up and go has gotten up and gone. You may even be headed for chronic fatigue syndrome or fibromyalgia.

Many people think it’s natural to feel tired. Although it may be common, it's not natural. As a matter of fact, you can have stimulant-free, vibrant, sustained energy - naturally. And, it’s simple. The solution is optimum whole food nutrition. A well-nourished body always has more than enough buoyant vibrant energy. Period.

Research into the causes of fatigue has been going on for decades. We know you need certain nutritional factors that are not only missing from most people’s diets, but, ironically, they’re consistently being removed from our food supply during processing.

Why? Because they involve oils and other lipids. If you expose lipids to processing, light and air, they oxidize, become rancid and turn into trans-fatty acids. In other words, they’re sensitive and have a short grocery store “shelf life.” But just because they can spoil in your bread, cereal, rice and pasta, doesn’t mean you don’t need them on a daily basis. You desperately do need them!

Just like a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, your body is only as strong as its weakest cell. Each one of your 73 trillion cells is a link vitally important to your health. They have a job to do and in order to do it, they need certain specific essential lipids. During your daily routine, cells use these lipids to perform a multitude of functions. Just like your car needs gasoline, you need these essential oils. They help to recharge your body’s battery.

If you’re ready to do something about feeling tired all the time, my recommendation can be found at www.feel-better.info. With the right nutritional program, you can soon recover your optimum health and vitality to look better, feel better and have more sustained energy – naturally.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that happened to me when I was in high school, getting ready for college- ect., and I ended up with mono. I had it for about 3 months straight & slept for days on end. Have you been tested for that?

ashlie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To go along with Liza, This sounds a lot like my friend. When she went to the doctor about it they told her it was Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

So this morning Colin and I were talking and he brought up the topic of me constantly being tired. For as long as I can remember I have always been tired. (even back in high school when i was constantly working out and exercising). Over the past few months i have not worked out as much as i should and he thinks that may have something to do with me being soo tired and have 0 motivation to do much of anything (i just force myself to do things) -(but i only think it may be part of it.) At the end of the month though i'm joining a new gym (city employees get an AWESOME discount
) and I am also scheduling a docotors appointment to see if this is an issue or not before my insurance goes out in july. BUT in the mean time i'd be really interested to see if any of you have gone through this before and what was causing you to be soo tired (how did you resolve it/ get more energy?) It is not uncommon for me on my days off to sleep 10-14 hours (not on purpose- i don't WANT to sleep all day- but i just can't help it- i sleep through alarm clocks and i just stay soo tired) when i get 6-8 hours i still feel like i haven't had enough rest even when i get the recommended amount. Yesterday after work for instance- i was watching the news around 6 when i fell asleep in the living room (not even planning on taking a nap) when i woke up it was 6:30 so i figured i'd go lay down for a little nap and then get up after while. That didn't happen- i slept straight through my alarm. I did not wake up until 8:30 am this morning. (i know that's definitely over sleeping- but that wasn't even intentional!) that was about 14 straight hours that i slept. And i was still tired this morning when i got up to take care of the aniamls/clean house. I don't know what's going on with me- Anemia has been ruled out 3 times (my doctors kept insisting on retesting me for it but so far i'm negative (thankfully!) I have had a bunch of problems with my potassium levels dipping very low in recent months and was put on medicine for a temporary amount of time- and when i was on that - it REALLY helped. So i may get my potassium levels retested and see if they're ok now or if i need to be back on meds for it. Colin and I both think that working out regurally will help- so that's definitely going to happen. I didn't realize what a big problem this was until Colin sat me down this morning and pointed out just how concerned he was about me being constantly exhausted/never getting enough sleep. But i think there's something wrong in addition to that- i just don't know. Any ideas?? I'd like to write some suggestions /etc down before i go to the doctor so i can ask about them. Thanks guys!!!
Wow Hun you need to start using paragraphs. I didn't read the whole thing but some suggestions:
MVP, Asthma, Thyroid, Depression/Stress, low Iron. Those are a few that were suggested by my doctor. I have always felt tired & with low energy. I have MVP & low Iron.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are several things that could contribute to this or there could be a medical issue.

Someone told me that women tend to burn through the Vitamin Bs because of our hormones. Do you take Vitamin B supplements at all? If not, try that for the next month to see how that works...just take a 100 mg complex to start.

Also how much carbs do you eat in a day? I know I often feel extra tired when I take in more carbs than my body needs. Basically it goes into a carb coma, but not as bad a diabetic....I just have difficulty staying awake. Definitely count your TOTAL carbs (not net) to see how many your taking in per day. If its more than the average for your body type/height/etc then cut back by eating more salads.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking as a professional insomniac ...

I also have a friend with chronic fatigue syndrome, but he goes through phases where it doesn't bother him at all, and then suddenly WHOOOMP! he's knocked flat by it. His periods of extreme exhaustion are also typically marked by an increase in illnesses: he gets whatever colds are circlulating, his eczema flares up, and he's just generally miserable. And he's a big, burly, muscular guy -- not the sort of person you'd expect to suffer from chronic fatigue. All sorts of people suffer from it.

Another thing I can personally recommend you look into is getting your B12 levels checked. I suffer from B12 deficiency, and when I don't take my supplements I can be exhausted and irritable. I'm fortunate in that my level of deficiency is quite low -- I absorb B12, just not as effectively as most people. Some others with B12 deficiency have to get injections because their bodies don't absorb B12 at all. It's a simple blood test to have this done, but I think your doctor has to request it. (I was tested because sometimes carpal tunnel syndrome can be a symptom of B12 deficiency ... Lucky me, I had both, but it was good getting to the bottom of my problems!) Don't just start taking supplements without first seeing your doctor, though!

And finally, you need to practice good sleep hygiene. This means establishing a regular bed time and waking time, and sticking to this schedule even on the weekends. When you sleep for 10-14 hours straight, as much as you feel like you need it, it's possible that you're throwing your system out of whack and making it harder for yourself to get a proper night's sleep the next night. Make your bedroom a peaceful sanctuary: no computer, no TV/DVD/VCR, no distractions (unless your place, like mine, is so small that you pretty much have to stick a computer in your bedroom ...). Get blackout curtains for your windows and maybe a white noise generator (I have a nifty little machine that makes running water/bird/ocean waves/heartbeat sounds all night long, and it only cost me $20 Canadian). Make sure your bed is clean, soft and inviting. And tell yourself that sleep is serious. Most sleep experts say your bedroom and bed should only be used for two things: sleeping and sex. Try to establish a routine, maybe even a bedtime ritual (I do yoga and meditate a bit before bedtime, but it could be something as simple as rounding up all your cats and kissing them goodnight or having a warm glass of milk ... just something that triggers your brain to think "now is the time that I go to bed"), and do your best to stick to it. If crazy racing thoughts wake you up at night, don't lie in bed tossing and turning -- get up, read a book, write in a journal, or visit with your cats (they'll appreciate it -- Spike and I have regular 3 am cuddle sessions all the time); you only make it worse by staying in bed, staring at the clock and grousing over the fact that you're not sleeping.

Even if setting up a regular sleep cycle helps matters, you should still see a doctor. Nowadays it seems almost normal to be sleep-deprived, and we sometimes seem to take pride in announcing "I only got two hours' sleep last night!" as if that's some kind of badge of honour. If you're exhausted all the time, and no matter how much sleep you get you still don't feel rested and refreshed, there's something wrong. If, physically, your doctor can't find anything to explain your exhaustion, you might want to see a counsellor, because depression and stress can fatigue you every bit as much as a cold or chronic fatigue syndrome. And who isn't stressed these days?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be a lot of things, but if you have trouble with your potassium levels that is definitely not going to help, if they are low you will be feeling exhausted and weak. I would in the first instance have them retested (and while they're at it get the whole gamut of tests done again, blood count, diabetes, thyroid etc) and if they are down again sit down with your doctor and discuss factors that may be causing this (there are many, including IBS, use of diuretics/laxatives, asthma medications such as bronchodilators and steroids, and of course not getting enough potassium or magnesium in your diet).

The best dietary source of potassium is bananas, but tomatoes, cantaloupes, oranges, and peaches are also good. For magnesium (which is needed in order for your body to use the potassium) pumpkin seeds, brazil nuts, and bran breakfast cereals are good.

If the blood tests don't come up with the answer, then I would consider a sleep clinic, because it doesn't matter how long your eyes are shut every night, if you're not getting enough of the right type of sleep then you will never feel bright upon waking. Things like sleep apnea or a disrupted REM cycle.

Exercise is in theory a good idea, but I don't think it's a good idea to start a new exercise regime without seeing your physician first if you have a history of low potassium - it can cause irregular heart rhythm, so an ECG may be advisable before starting anything strenuous. Probably nothing to worry about, but best to err on the side of caution I always think

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was having a terrible time about last Thanksgiving. I slept all night, fell asleep at work, slept on and off until bed, then slept all night again! I thought it was due to my chronic pain - that I couldn't get any "good" sleep.

Well, it turned out that I was really anemic. I know you don't have that, but I would definitely look into the potassium thing. Also - I don't know - but does PCOS cause tiredness like that?

I know how it is. I thought I was dying or pregnant or something!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't tell you what is wrong because I have the same problems you do.
I can come home and fall asleep for a few hours, get up for a bit and then go back to bed. I can also take little naps. I fall asleep in the library each day reading. I can sleep all I want or not, and it doesn't matter. I'm tired no matter what. So maybe when you figure out what is wrong with you, you can tell me what I need to check for.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The things that come to mind for me would be:
Anemia
Low potassium
Hypothyroid
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Chronic Epstein-Barr virus (mono)
Sleep apnea
Diabetes
Cancer
Cardiac issues
Depression

You really need to see a doctor and ask for a complete work up. There's so many different causes for extreme fatigue. I wish you luck!

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

The things that come to mind for me would be:
Anemia
Low potassium
Hypothyroid
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Chronic Epstein-Barr virus (mono)
Sleep apnea
Diabetes
Cancer
Cardiac issues
Depression

You really need to see a doctor and ask for a complete work up. There's so many different causes for extreme fatigue. I wish you luck!
That's a good list for your doc to check out -- very common causes of feeling tired all the time. I would just add a few things/suggestions:

1. exercise - a few sessions w/ a trainer (maybe)
2. nutrition - write down what you eat & how you feel; see a nutritionist for recommendations
3. keep a journal of -- how you're feeling (incl. hours slept, waking refreshed/or not), your exercise/activities, your weight, what you're eating, menstrual periods (incl. light/regular/heavy flow) -- stick with this "diary" & it may reveal things to you (or your doc) that weren't otherwise apparent.

And sometimes it's a matter of just not thinking that you're tired, or planning your days & getting stuff done, and not having time to feel tired. Everyone's got different reasons for what'd making them feel sluggish. Rule out the serious medical stuff first, then tackle the intangible stuff a day at a time.

P.S. Oh, and beware of doctors who'll blow you off
or are otherwise too dismissive (e.g. think depression w/o even considering any other medical reasons). Try to find someone supportive, and in the meanwhile, keep the journal (& you may end up figuring it out for yourself before your doc does!
)

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Wow Hun you need to start using paragraphs. I didn't read the whole thing but some suggestions:
MVP, Asthma, Thyroid, Depression/Stress, low Iron. Those are a few that were suggested by my doctor. I have always felt tired & with low energy. I have MVP & low Iron.
Nikki, I will agree with Crazyforinfo on this one. I can't read it past the first part.Cause it all jumbles together and makes my head and eyes hurt.
I would suggest that you have your iron checked and talk to your Dr. about what it can be.Hope you can figure it out SOON!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is your job wearing you out emotionally? I know you've had tiredness problems for a while, but this could be making it worse.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ashlie

To go along with Liza, This sounds a lot like my friend. When she went to the doctor about it they told her it was Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
I thought maybe I had that then I realized I was taking twice as much blood pressure medication as I was supposed to, I have a Drs app July 23rd...I stopped taking one of my pills because it says Verapamil 180 mg ER ( extended release) 24 hour now that would make me believe you only need 1 a day, I was taking 1 cap 2x times a day.. No wonder I felt like my Heart wasn't beating

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had this same issue for almost 3 years. I recently started keeping an online journal of everything I ate and found that I was only getting 600-800 calories on a good day of food. I bumped my cals. up to 1400 or so a day, started some light exercise till the end of July (then I can do more) and started taking 1 multi-vitamin a day along with 1 Niacin pill. And over the last week and a half my energy has gone up as well as my attitude.

**note on the 1400 cals. I divided that number by 5 and eat 5 small meals a day that equal 1400 cals.**

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She has had her iron levels checked three times and is planning on going to the doctor. I seem to be one of the few able to read the whole thing

Anyway, I need to sleep longer than most people. Nothing to do with a medical problem. I believe (and I say that because I don't have the money for a sleep clinic, but I know my own body!) that my sleep cycles are longer than average. As a result I need to sleep longer, but it isn't really more sleep. Most people's sleep cycles are 90 minutes-ish.

They make special alarm clocks that can wake you up at the nearest completed sleep cycle to when you need to get up. That way, it's the most natural and easiest way to wake up. Maybe try one of those if the doctor can't find thyroid problems, etc.

Although that symptom sounds like those specials you see on polycystic ovary too.

I know this has been years, but is there anything that coincided with the beginning? Did you start taking BC or some other med?

That and don't discount depression out of hand-- some people's only symptom is just feeling sort of blah and tired, they don't get the negative thoughts or disinterest or anything, just sleep disturbances.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best thing you can do is make a doctor's appointment and get some blood work done. It could be something as simple as low iron which is easy to treat. Either way it is a starting point..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(Soo sorry about not using proper paragraphs in that first post everyone! I was exhausted when i wrote that!
)

Just to add- some things that have been ruled out already from multiple tests

-thyroid
-diabetes
-anemia
-bad iron levels

OK here's what i DO have from tests/doctors diagnosis:

-PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome- i have a pretty bad case of it- the last ultrasound they did was not so great
/ i am insulin resistant as well)

-Severe GERD - but it's treated and low symptom with my meds

-IBS w/ diarreah

- A rapid heart beat (nothing serious- but i just can't have a lot of caffine or anything of that nature- i also have to watch how high my pulse goes when i exercise-nothing major
)

-Gastroparesis (which is weird as i'm not diabetic)- it makes my IBS AWEFUL!

-Asthma & "contact allergies" - i don't have allergies to trees or anything- just certain things set them off like being exposed to smoke or dust (my asthma isn't bad at all so i only take my inhaler when i need it now)

I mean most of my issues are GI in nature - nothing too horrible (i'm lucky!) and most only flare up sometimes so i can't complaine too much but i am really starting to get worried that Colin is worried about me. (Something has to REALLY be bothering Colin for him to say something of that nature.

I asked my best friend tonight about it when we were out for a bit and she said that she as well had noticed how tired i'd seemed lately and how i'd not wanted to go out as much/etc (which is not normal for me). So after talking to both Renae and Colin (and asking my mom about it tonight as well) They all 3 said i should go to a doctor and just see what the doctor says so that's the game plan for now. I get paid at the end of the month so i'm going to make my appointment soon.

Also about my bedroom- there are no tv's, computers or anything of that nature in there. It's strictly for sleep/intimacy. It is also a very clean/neat environment and we try to make it as attractive/plesant as possible. There are also tints and dark shades over the windows from when Colin was working the midnight shifts and slept during the day. (although it really doesn't matter to me if there is noise or light- i'll sleep through anything
)

Also- i do believe i hit REM sleep most nights as i can vividly remember most dreams (and most of the vivid dreams that occur happen during the deepest stage of sleep REM if i remember right from my psych II class a while back
) I may see if i need to have a sleep study done though depending on what my doctor says.

Thankyou soooo much everyone for your great ideas and suggestions. I will start keeping a journal between now and when i go to the doctor- hopefully that will be helpful!
I already do that for what i eat so it shouldn't be a problem. Also- i don't feel depressed at all- just a little stressed lately with all that has gone on between my family and work in the past few weeks.

(by the way, after looking up the symptoms for Cronic Fatigue Syndrome on several sites- i seem to match those symptoms to a t so i will definitely ask the doctor about that one.)