Rice Krispie Treats

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got a question for everyone.
I'm currently attempting to cook something(dangerous I know) and need some advice.
I want to make Rice Krispie treats for Dh and since I can't cook a lick, I need to know how to keep them from becoming rock hard? When I made then a LONG time ago they were ok for like an hour and then you could use them for fireplace bricks after that. They were rock hard and dangerous to eat. I mean seriously.
I'm talking break your teeth hard. But I followed the directions exactly and everything. And I covered them when I got done making them.
Help from all you great cooks would be ubber appreciated!!!!

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i always use a lil extra butter, and a lil bit more marshmellows then the recipe calls for, it helps!!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oohh, I like them when they get a little stale like that!

My mom always keeps them in a rubbermaid container (cake pan size) when she made them with a lid and they always stayed fresh for awhile

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Oohh, I like them when they get a little stale like that!

My mom always keeps them in a rubbermaid container (cake pan size) when she made them with a lid and they always stayed fresh for awhile
Oh hon, these weren't stale, they were like teeth breaking 1 hour after I made them. I can't cook a lick mind you so this is a horrible stretch for me. I mean seriously, I burn premade dinners. I really am dangerous in the kitchen without supervision.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I add peanut butter or maple syrup to mine - turns out lovely!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jugen

Oh hon, these weren't stale, they were like teeth breaking 1 hour after I made them. I can't cook a lick mind you so this is a horrible stretch for me. I mean seriously, I burn premade dinners. I really am dangerous in the kitchen without supervision.
Well then thats not good!
I suggest Natalie's idea of using a 'crapload of marshmallows'
use the little colored ones, they are like pink, blue, green, yellow... they are cute

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

We make ours using Fruit Loops instead of the Rice Krispies.
OMG those are sooo good! One of my moms friends makes Fruit Loops & white almond bark.... its soo yummy!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They get rock hard if you buy cheap marshmallows or if the Rice Krispies are stale. Don't buy the generic marchmallows!

I also cover the pan as soon as they are cool. Leaving them in the air also makes them rock hard. Cutting them before eating them will make them rock hard.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

I add peanut butter or maple syrup to mine - turns out lovely!
That sounds yummy but Dh doesn't like either one. (I do though so I might try that.)

Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I think adding a crapload of marshmellows helps
You are funny! What exactly is a crapload??

Originally Posted by babyharley

Well then thats not good!
I suggest Natalie's idea of using a 'crapload of marshmallows'
use the little colored ones, they are like pink, blue, green, yellow... they are cute
I thought of getting the pretty colored ones but I couldn't find them.

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

We make ours using Fruit Loops instead of the Rice Krispies.
that just sound yummers!!!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I thought of getting the pretty colored ones but I couldn't find them.
Aren't they usually by the big marshmellows? Like by the jello/pudding area?
Thats where they are at HyVee & WalMart anyways

I'd say a crapload is like... 3 bags

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

They get rock hard if you buy cheap marshmallows or if the Rice Krispies are stale. Don't buy the generic marchmallows!

I also cover the pan as soon as they are cool. Leaving them in the air also makes them rock hard. Cutting them before eating them will make them rock hard.
Try buying a smaller box of Rice Crispies too. I don't know if that will help, but I bought a huge box not long ago and they were nice and stale. Not much you can do to save Crispy Treats if the cereal is already stale

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have Jet Puffed Marshmallows from Kraft. I just bought the Rice Krispies Sunday, (actually they are Rice Kripsie treats rice Krispies).

So you are saying to not cut them until you want to eat them???

Boy this is getting confusing.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I read Natalie's "Crap load of Marshmallows" comment I almost peed myself laughing.

I don't use marshmallows I use that marshmallow "Fluff" that comes in a jar and then keep them in a covered rubbermaid container.
Of course since I have four kids they never last long enough to get stale anyway!

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I do is use one less cup of rice krispies from the recipe. Treats come out soft and wonderfully marshmallowy. mmmmmmm........

I think I will make some tonight as well.

Tricia

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by peachytoday

All I do is use one less cup of rice krispies from the recipe. Treats come out soft and wonderfully marshmallowy. mmmmmmm........

I think I will make some tonight as well.

Tricia
Let me know how yours turn out. I think I'll hide mine though.
If you don't see a thread about me either killing or maining in anyway my hubby them they came out ok.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

So you are saying to not cut them until you want to eat them???
That's exactly what I'm saying. They will be OK if you wrap them up in individual baggies or plastic wrap once cut, but if you pile them on a plate and don't eat them quickly, they get hard. It's the air on them that makes them turn into little rocks.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I only buy the generic ones.
Mine always turn out soft.