Our cat is acting strange? Could it be that he isnt neutered?

bighairedharry

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat is a 4yr old male called Harry. We took him in 2 weeks ago as he was abandoned by his previous owner. He has settled well, but this evening he has been acting very strange.

He kept arching his back like he was angry or aggitated about something. He also walking around side ways, as funny as it sounds like a crab would. He also kept darting around frantically from the kitchen to the living room and back. Every time he came back to the living room he would dart straight to the front door, clambering up and scratching at it whilst making a very long and deep meow.

Could all this strange behaviour mean that he hasnt been neutered?

Previously we would have dismissed any strange behaviour like this as we were told he had been neutered. Now im not too sure.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Rob and Cejay

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At four years of age you should very easily be able to tell if he's neutered just by looking at him.

When we brought Elliott in he was 18 months old and there was no way you could miss his "little boy parts"

Since you said he kept going to the door it's possible that there was a cat, skunk or some other animal around outside.
I know our neighborhood is the drop off point for every stray within a 50 mile radius and if one of them comes on our porch our cats let us know by the way they act.

If the behavior continues I'd have a Vet look at him just to be on the safe side.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Graciecat

Since you said he kept going to the door it's possible that there was a cat, skunk or some other animal around outside.
I think the likelhood of a skunk roaming around in Wales is really quite slim
but otherwise a good point, it could have been that he smelled some creature outside.

If he looks neutered, then he probably is, but there's always a chance that his testes didn't descend and are in his abdomen. He would produce hormones so act like an intact male, but would in all likelihood be sterile. Does he display any typically tomcat behaviour such as spraying, excessive wandering and fighting?

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I think the likelhood of a skunk roaming around in Wales is really quite slim
but otherwise a good point, it could have been that he smelled some creature outside.
I don't think I knew that there weren't skunks in Wales...I know now

If Wales...or any other Country would like some of the smelly little devils I'll be happy to send some.
I have to say, they are really cute though...as long as they don't spray you!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Graciecat

I don't think I knew that there weren't skunks in Wales...I know now

If Wales...or any other Country would like some of the smelly little devils I'll be happy to send some.
I have to say, they are really cute though...as long as they don't spray you!
Sorry for laughing, the thought of it made me chuckle. I've never seen one except in photos, and I don't think I ever want to smell one

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
His behavior tells me that he is trying to be aggressive with something. Yes, it could very well be that he is doing this because he is not neutered. Make an appointment and get this poor boy fixed!!

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Sorry for laughing, the thought of it made me chuckle. I've never seen one except in photos, and I don't think I ever want to smell one
Trust me, you're right.
You DO NOT want to smell one, it's not pleasant and they always seem to do it at night when you're trying to sleep.
Even with all the windows shut it still gets in through the AC.
It makes your eyes water

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you take in an abandoned cat, a vet check is one of the first things you should schedule - I learnt the hard way, it is much better to get them there and have them registered when they are healthy than have a sick cat on your hands that is unregistered at a vet. It also gives you chance to make sure you are happy with the services. Have you been keeping him in since you took him in, if so, it could be that he wants to be in, I wouldn't assume he is unneutered just from that behaviour, but as the others have said, you can tell in a cat of that age - I took in a cat a vet had said was neutered, and I knew as soon as he used the tray, he was estimated at 2yo.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That behavior doesn't sound abnormal, particularly for a new cat. He's only been in your home for two weeks and so it's normal for him to be scared and skittish. A whole new environment is a huge adjustment for a cat, and it will likely take several weeks to several months before he feels completely at home and shows you his real personality.

Those aren't really signs of a an unneutered cat, either. Spraying would be.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmylou

That behavior doesn't sound abnormal, particularly for a new cat. He's only been in your home for two weeks and so it's normal for him to be scared and skittish. A whole new environment is a huge adjustment for a cat, and it will likely take several weeks to several months before he feels completely at home and shows you his real personality.

Those aren't really signs of a an unneutered cat, either. Spraying would be.
sounds to me like he's just really scared of something, so he's doing the puff up and act like a big old scary "halloween cat" thing

If you said he was spraying everything, attacking other cats and rushing the door every chance he gets, then I would say he's not neutered.

As others have said, there are many many reasons to take him to the vet for a quick check. If he's not neutered, they'll tell you.