Toys That Aren't Meant To Be Toys

skoshkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty's favorite toys are drinking straws! Does your cat love to play with anything "unexpected" or anything that isn't supposed to be a toy?

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it will be a few more days before my kitty is home, but based on my visits with him, so far his favorite toy is my hair!

That's the first thing he does when I pick him up is start grabbing and biting my hair

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rings from the distilled water bottles at work. Those are about the only toys Nabu likes.

Cardboard boxes. Always a hit.

Tissue paper. Nabu especially loves to shred it. The other 2 lay and sleep on it.

Hair binders. I cut my hair off but kept some for the cats to play with.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by skoshkie

My kitty's favorite toys are drinking straws! Does your cat love to play with anything "unexpected" or anything that isn't supposed to be a toy?
Yep! Dum-dum suckers!! Boo can not resist stealing them from my daughter.
She doesn't eat them....just swats them all over the house and carries them around in her mouth! But of course, I'm the one that gets accused of eating them!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skoshkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sophie also loves paper, especially that brown, recycled paper that's in a Spanish workbook we have laying around.

pennicat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
drinking straws = hours of fun
a wad of duct tape
plastic bottle caps
pretty much anything left around that will fit into their mouths, actually
Oh, and wine bottle corks.

paulena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Although they have tons of toys to play with, Sassy has chosen to get on the coffee table and knock around some change that my DH left there. (I watch her very carefully) Hair ties, milk jug rings, shoe strings, just about anything they know they are not suppose to have!!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hm. Anything.

She'll play fetch with hair ties or milk jug rings, and her favorite toy ever is bottle caps.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please remember that things like shoestrings or cord or elastics cannot be 'spit out' by cats because of the inward facing tiny barbs on their tongues and once something goes in, it ends up going down, and stringy things can do a bad number on their intestines (apart from choking them first). Please don't leave any such things lying around. Thanks!

L

larks

The mail, Think our Abby's watching the dog too much. The dog always go for the mail so we usually give her the junk mail but its having to be shared now between her and the kitten,lol.
The pc cursor and DVD player screensavers are another favourite. The screensaver with the bobbing logo, she loves following it.
Other than that the usual: bugs, tissue paper, socks, shoes and anything else that wasnt bought for her to play with

erinca7821

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A laser pointer is the only thing that really gets my cat going these days... the little guy goes nuts chasing the little red dot... he'll climb walls, run clear across the house...

I leave toilet paper tubes out and empty tissue boxes for him to tear at, but he bores quickly with that stuff.

Occasionally if I am lazy and don't immediately put an empty can or glass in the sink, he knocks them off the coffee table and rolls them around... but I think that's because he knows I get up and chase him when he does that...

minnow captain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats love my hair scrunchies - the ones with cloth covering the elastic. That and golf balls - but we're trying to hide those better because they tend to bang them against the bedroom door around 3:00 in the morning! I'm pretty sure it's their way of saying "hey, come out of there and feed us!"

az<3me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i bought him toys for the first couple of weeks, but he doesnt play with them! hi likes different kind of paper, foil, umm pretty much everything that looks fun for him, oh, my cell phone!

kathryn41

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It worries me at times because of the size, but Lion's favourite toy is a hazelnut. He stole nuts at Christmas time from the nut dish - originally, he stole the almonds but he tired of those and now he plays with hazelnuts. He bats them all around the house, leaps up into the air for them when thrown and actually bats them or catches them in his paws. He doesn't try to eat them - just bats them all over the place with his paws.

He also likes to bat pens off of the table and steal bottle caps - oh, and used face cloths that have partly dried. He lies on them, rubs his face on them then rabbit kicks them with his hind legs.

angi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In the process of moving from So. CA to So. WI!!
The lid off of a chapstick! We made a "rocket" to play with, & the cat went chasing the lid! She picked it up in her mouth, & as I was freaking out (thought she'd try to swallow it), she brought it to me! She plays fetch! Haven't done it too much anymore though, since they get lost under the stove.

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats favorite toy is a very large skate lace. He carries it around everywhere and sleeps with it at night. He doesn't play with anything else. Just his skate lace.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cardboard boxes, especially the "fridge pack" Pepsi boxes. Bottle caps, plastic bags, q-tips, keys, papers, coins.... basically anything they can bat around the floor. None of them actually put any of these things in their mouths though, just like to swat them around. Oh, and we have a long piece of yarn that's our "pull switch" to our light and it hangs down over the bed... the kittens especially go NUTS over it!

angi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In the process of moving from So. CA to So. WI!!
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

Cardboard boxes, especially the "fridge pack" Pepsi boxes. Bottle caps, plastic bags, q-tips, keys, papers, coins.... basically anything they can bat around the floor. None of them actually put any of these things in their mouths though, just like to swat them around. Oh, and we have a long piece of yarn that's our "pull switch" to our light and it hangs down over the bed... the kittens especially go NUTS over it!
Roxy loves them too. She goes mad when we come home from the market.
Mostly she just likes to sleep on them though.

ashlie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My bras.... She completely ignores the toys I buy her if she sees a bra. Its funny to watch because she usually ends up with it on her head and drags it all over the house. Silly kitty.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Polyurethane light gaskets. They are rings about 4 inches across and they fly like freesbies. My little boy kitty goes absolutely berserk over them. He likes for me to throw them so he can chase after them and he will play with one for hours by himself, throwing it up in the air and carrying it around in his mouth.