I am so mad at my car

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got a "new" car last month and already it is broken. It was working perfectly until yesterday when it just decided not to start. I live 15 minutes away from the closest town (where I work) and its like $20 each way to take a taxi.

We have to get it towed and then pay for it to get fixed and we just don't have the money right now. We don't even have that car paid off yet. The last payment was going to be made at the end of this week.

I really don't know how we are going to pay for this. It's not like I can pick up extra shifts at work because I have no way to get there.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
is it a real new car, or "new" to you?

some things should be covered on a 30 day warrenty from the dealer. whats wrong with it?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holy cow! Definitely call the dealer up (if you bought it through a dealer) and find out their warranty period.

I so hate when that happens! My boyfriend's brakes went on him the first week he had his car. He was
nonetheless because he paid for the car in cash.

Good luck! hopefully the damages are not too much.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If its a used car and this has happened before the 30 days are up - I think the dealership has to cover expenses.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Liza24

is it a real new car, or "new" to you?

some things should be covered on a 30 day warrenty from the dealer. whats wrong with it?
It's new to me. Its a 1994 VW Jetta. I know its not a new car or anything but it was working perfectly until yesterday.

I didn't buy it from a dealer. My boyfriends dad paid for it and we have been paying him back. No idea what is wrong with it though, it just wont start. My boyfriend originally thought the engine was flooded but that wasn't it.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The VW Jetta is a good car. It is probably something very simple like a starter switch or alternator or something similar.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

The VW Jetta is a good car. It is probably something very simple like a starter switch or alternator or something similar.
i would have it looked into. some places will check for cheap if you decide to do fixes there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I plan to get it checked out probably tomorrow, but if its something big I don't know when it will actually get fixed.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
even if it is something big, most times it can be fixed, and not for the HUGE prices places want.

first thing to do is find out whats wrong.

second is find out if someone you know has the ability to do the fix, if given to right parts, and see if they will do it for a set price ( i get my bff to do most car stuff for pizza and beer,lol)

call around, sometimes junkyards have those cars, and you can buy the parts off the cars for a small amount, compared to buying from a dealer or parts store.

or find a " Pick & pull" which if you bring your own tools, you can take the part off a car in their yard and only pay for that part.

for example. I have a 2000 Dodge Avenger. i had the a/c air compressor take a dump on me. i had to replace it. i called all over, and most places quoted $600, and that was jsut for the PART, not for labor!!!

I found a " pick & pull" and asked if they had a car in their yard that would fit parts with mine. they did. so i went down, and got the part off their car, and it cost me $14!!!!