My sick little kitten

mandykaine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey All... I'm new here. I found this site this afternoon while looking up some potential answers about my sick kitten. First, let me introduce myself... I'm Mandy, and I have two cats- Mikaela (1), and Joey (8 weeks). Joey and Mikaela don"t *quite* get along yet, but we're working on it.

Here is Joey's story:
I got him from a local pet store last Sunday, 6/16. I know that shelters are usually the better option, but I have had 2 shelter kitties and they were both very ill when i brought them home. The store gave me a health certificate with Joey, saying that he was free from disease. In fact, state law requires this certificate. He was said to be in good health, with no problems.

The day after I got him home, I noticed that he had some diarrhea. Not terrible, but enough. i gave him extra water, and called the vet that certified him. She said to just give him a few days, it was from the stress. I watched his water intake, but gave him a few more days. On Thursday, his diarrhea had not been any better, so I called her again. She again said that it was just stress and to let it be. So, I reluctantly listened. Saturday, Joey got uncontrollable diarrhea. He couldn't even make it to his box. The vet that certified him wasn't open, but she said to bring him to the pet store so he could be watched. I spoke with the pet store and they agreed to watch him overnight and the vet would make a personal visit in the morning. I brought him up saturday night and left him.

Sunday I called to come and get him and they said they wanted to keep him one more day. I said okay, if it is better for him. They said the vet had given him medicine for coccidia, and he would be fine.

Today, I got a voicemail from the pet store owner saying that she is keeping Joey for the rest of the week (ie: until the day my health certificate expires). She said that he still had diarrhea and she didn't want him going home. Now, i have lost all my faith in this store and this vet. i do not feel my pet is getting the attention he requires, and I want him to see my regular vet. I armed myself with pet ownership laws, and went to the pet store. The owner was refusing to let the cat leave unless i signed a form absolving her and her store from any vet fees. Naturally, i refused because I have 14 days of health care through the vet that certified Joey, and the pet store pays. When I said I would not sign the form, she threatened to call the police. I told her about the pet ownership laws in the state, even showed her the section and article number. I have the right to remove my animal at any time. She refused to listen, and called the police. She spoke with someone, and they told her what i said- he is my pet, and I have the right to remove him if I want to. So, the police told her they'd come, but they'd be helping me to leave and not helping the kitty to stay.

At this point, the woman started yelling. She signed the form for me, saying she was signing saying that I wouldn't. She refused to give me the medicine that the vet had prescribed Joey, and said that she was "just looking out for his health". There were words exchanged, and ended up just leaving with my kitty.

Now, we are waiting for our appt with my normal vet. He will get a thorough check up in an hour, and more medicine. The kicker is they would not even give my a stool sample from the box Joey was using there, so the vet can't even check that!

Send him well wishes..

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow,that sounds like a nightmare you've been through!! And poor little Joey,too! Thank goodness you stuck to your guns and got him out of there!! There were sure giving you the run around! Sending many vibes and well wishes for little Joey and you....and prayers that your vet can help him!

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending lots of good vibes to Joey

The pet store and owner sound like they are only thinking of their own interests, not Joey's. I am glad you got him back. I have a feeling there would have been a very bad outcome if he stayed there.

Let us know what your vet says.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Seems like you ran into a typical pet store deal. Kittens & cats there are often sick & purebreds are often over-bred & have genetic defects.
It's horrible...how the owners look at $$$, not lives.

I really hope that your vet has some good news for Joey.
Poor boy...

ditka's_mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You did the right thing, thank you for that. If I were you I'd write an editorial and submit it to your local newspaper to discourage people from buying kittens from that particular shop.

How sad. I guess I'm lucky, all of the pet stores in my area (including the big chain stores) are all employed with people who truly love animals.

I'm sending good thoughts & lots of prayers for little Joey

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mandykaine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
joey is doing a little better now... he still has some diarrhea, but he is on techmix from the vet, which is a pedialyte type drink.

the vet said he has some ideas what is wrong, but he wants to wait to treat until he gets tests back tomorrow. he said the first vet and pet store were wrong about coccidia, his tests have ruled that out completely so far. we are picking up medication when the tests come back tomorrow and Joey has a follow up friday.

I'll keep you updated!
thanks for all the well wishes.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update! Still sending get well soon {{{vibes}}} for little Joey. I hope it turns out to be something that can be treated easily. By the way....welcome to The Cat Site!! It's truly a wonderful place for us kitty lovers!!

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mandykaine

joey is doing a little better now... he still has some diarrhea, but he is on techmix from the vet, which is a pedialyte type drink.

the vet said he has some ideas what is wrong, but he wants to wait to treat until he gets tests back tomorrow. he said the first vet and pet store were wrong about coccidia, his tests have ruled that out completely so far. we are picking up medication when the tests come back tomorrow and Joey has a follow up friday.

I'll keep you updated!
thanks for all the well wishes.
I am sending prayers for you and for Joey! Please keep us updated. I think you saved this little guy's life.

mandykaine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, all Joey's tests came back negative. He had a followup on Friday, and the vet found that he lost weight (went from 2.7 lbs to 2.2 lbs in 4 days). He was hospitalized for the night, and came back home today. He went through a second round of tests, and everything is negative. The vet really isn't sure why he is still sick.

He's still on the pedialyte type drink for hydration, and was put on a boiled chicken and rice diet for a few days. The vet has changed him to a prescribed gastrointestinal diet that is dry food, but kind of soft. He has another follow up on Monday.

Joey has also decided that he really doesn't care to use the litter box anymore... first he stopped covering his mess up when he went, now he just goes wherever the heck he feels like it. I have been using a pet odor remover with my carpet shampooer every time, so i am fairly certain that the scent is gone. It isn't a consistant spot he goes in, either. It's just wherever he happens to be. So, for now he is staying in the bathroom with his litter box after he eats... I have been trying to put his stool in the box after he uses the carpet, and showed him how to cover it with his paws. No luck yet...

Poor littly guy has had a rough couple weeks...

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless his heart! I hope the chicken and rice will help him and get his tummy straightened out soon. Well wishes continue!

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh, I am praying for the sweet angel. will he eat his special diet food ok? Hug him for me, and please keep us updated.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, hope the little guy gets better, bless his little heart. He sounds like a fighter.
and good healing vibes sent your way.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm praying for little Joey. The poor guy, he's been through a lot in his short life. I hope he gets well very soon.

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awww...I'm glad you rescued the little guy and I hope he gets better. It's really no fun when your new little pal turns out to be sick. But thank you for being so patient with him and getting him the help he needs. Best of luck.

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope Joey gets better soon. Definitely proves that health certificates from pet stores don't mean squat. Pet stores are horrid places.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm glad he seems to be doing better - continued well wishes/prayers on their way to you!
for litterbox issues, i highly recommend Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract for Cats & Kittens. i have a little formerly feral who was quite inconsistent with her litterbox use until i tried this litter - she's doing great, now! there's also an additive available to add to regular litter, altho my local petsmart didn't carry it. you'll have to check to see what you can find, locally. if no one carries either, you can order either the litter or the additive online. just run a search with your favorite search engine for "Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract".

mandykaine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Joey is feeling about the same. Still has some loose stool, but nothing near as bad as before. He's eating a ton, and super playful.

here's a picture:

Somehow, even though i got him tons of toys that cardboard box is his favorite, haha