Water drinking.

chichi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

My cat drinks a lot of water lately, is that normal? I've heard that usually cats don't drink water enough, maybe a few times a day, but he goes to the water bottle sometimes every 1-2 min. Unless he is either playing or asleep.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
That does seem quite frequent... especially if he's eating wet food too (don't know if he is)... If it was Oliver, I'd take him in for some tests just to rule out anything like diabeties... I'd much rather foot the bill and know that nothing's wrong with him than worry about it all the time and have there be something actually wrong

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chichi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually, I've had them on both wet and dry food. But now they're only eating dry food and water.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Maybe you could call over to your vet first and ask the girls at the desk what they think (I say "girls at the desk", cuz our techs work the phones, so you might have to ask for a tech or something)... I usually do that or call my vet directly (thankfully, we're good friends, so I have her cell number haha) and at least get an opinion.... I know some vets are money-hungry and will tell you to bring him in anyhow, so you may not get a straight answer just by calling but it couldn't hurt

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed our cats water drinking increase since the summer months started. But between 4 cats they're going through 2 bowls of water per day.

If you have 2 cats and they're going through 1 bowl each per day you may want to have them checked for diabetes like everyone mentioned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chichi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

Maybe you could call over to your vet first and ask the girls at the desk what they think (I say "girls at the desk", cuz our techs work the phones, so you might have to ask for a tech or something)... I usually do that or call my vet directly (thankfully, we're good friends, so I have her cell number haha) and at least get an opinion.... I know some vets are money-hungry and will tell you to bring him in anyhow, so you may not get a straight answer just by calling but it couldn't hurt
Thanks Buzby, I just called my wet. "the girl at the desk" said that if he is doing it all day then there's something wrong, but if he's doing it right after I feed them, there might just be something in the food that makes him thirsty, like too much salt or something. I just fed them dry food about a couple of hours ago. Eventually he stops drinking water after a while, untill I feed him next.