Does anyone else have a big dog?

andrea727

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a St. Bernard, who is not fully grown...still a puppy (11mos), and we have almost 5 week old kittens. I just read that someone let their kittens free-roam at 6 weeks old when they are home. I just wonder if that is way too soon for our little guy roaming around the house, because of the size of our dog. She tries to play with Katie, Ogo, and Mushy, from time to time...I just don't want the little guys getting trampled. How old do you think they have to be before they can hold their own against my saint?

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have a black lab, and we almost got a yellow lab yesterday but thats it. My dad says if her were ever to get a dog, that it would be a St. Bernard. I sure was hoping that he would say like Chihuhahua or something like that. Rather than a big dog like that! Do you live in town with it?

aktotx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have 2 great dane puppies (9 months) and in our house Camaro is the boss. They went to see the kittens and Camaro just let them smell near them and then sat up didn't hiss or anything but the dogs turned their heads and walked away and haven't cared anymore. I think if they have been around each other the kitten won't get stepped on. I would slowly let them run together in a room so you can watch what happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andrea727

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We do live in a city, but we have a backyard...actually 2 backyards put together, but it's still not huge. We plan on moving w/in the next 2 years so hopefully we'll have room to run

Thanks for your advice, I'll try letting them in the room together starting next week sometime... Great Danes Good Lord, I can't wait for my first Great Dane. That's the dog I wanted, but hubby has always had Saints.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've got two big(ish) dogs. One is 100 lbs. one 50 lbs. The kittens are NEVER left alone with them. They are 6 months before they are left alone with the dog & only then if I know the dog is trustworthy.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good question - our lab is 60-65 lbs and we were a bit concerned bringing Charlie home at 4 months old (he was a good 5lb then). But in Keno's favor was the fact that she was used to little kittens (raised/babysat some of the barn kittens) and knew how to be a little more cautious around the little kittens.

But we still kept an eye on things - the kittens were not allowed total unsupervised freedom. And we had to caution Keno to watch the little babies

aktotx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Andrea727

Thanks for your advice, I'll try letting them in the room together starting next week sometime... Great Danes Good Lord, I can't wait for my first Great Dane. That's the dog I wanted, but hubby has always had Saints.
Yeah they are big dogs Lola is at 110 and Belle is 105. It is funny to see them back down to a 7 pound cat. She is boss here and if she wants the couch all she has to do is jump up and they get down. The puppies think they are lap dogs and are such big chickens. There is a Saint down the street and that boy is HUGE.

andrea727

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sasha's at about 110 now, but she's at that akward stage where she's tall and thin...she looks scrawny, but I'm sure she'll fill out soon.

Thanks for everyone's responses, Sasha is so clumsy right now because of her size and age. I'm going to let her visit the kittens but only if she's supervised and if the kittens are confined.

cherrypie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it depends more on the dog's personality then the size. I had a 150 lb Rottweiller who LOVED kittens. He was so sweet and gentle with them. There was nothing more funny then seeing this huge rottie drinking water only to have a 4 lb kitten come over and "push" him out of the way. Riker would calmly sit down and wait until the kitty was finished and then resume drinking!

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Good question - our lab is 60-65 lbs and we were a bit concerned bringing Charlie home at 4 months old (he was a good 5lb then). But in Keno's favor was the fact that she was used to little kittens (raised/babysat some of the barn kittens) and knew how to be a little more cautious around the little kittens.

But we still kept an eye on things - the kittens were not allowed total unsupervised freedom. And we had to caution Keno to watch the little babies
I have to echo what GK45 says, I also had/have 2 Old English Sheepdogs, one was over 100 lbs, passed of health problems, and Annabelle who is 90lbs who is still with us. We keep a close eye on them, and we also have a room with a small kitty door, with the food, water, and litter, and a few toys, so that the puppy or dog can not get to the food, and the cat has a place to be on its own, and have some peace and quiet.
Our big dogs wouldn't try to hurt our kittens, but could accidently step on one, especially a big clumsy dog that doesn't know its size, which is a lot like a St. Bernard, things should be fine. I would urge you to take your puppy to puppy kindergarten, and be consistant with commands, and follow up with another basic course, when your pup is a little older. Dogs can bring so much joy, but a large dog, needs training, and because of their stubborn streak, it is never too early to begin.
This is not directed at you, but there are many who impulsively get a dog, any kind, big, small, hairy, and are not prepared for a dog, and especially a large breed, which will get well over 100 lbs, they usually will find the dog a new home, when they realized the dog is now large and overwhelming. I love big dogs, I think they are wonderful, and if trained can be amazing. Our dogs love carting....that is going to be hard to get used to....they loved carting, Annabelle doesn't cart anylonger, the cart was made for 2 dogs, and and she doesn't have the size needed to cart the larger cart, but they really enjoyed the excercise and the work that it gave them.
Good Luck!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not so bad when there is only one kitten running around, but try 4-5 of them and poor Keno had to keep looking around cause one kitten would be in front and the other in back....many times Keno heard us say "watch out - baby behind you" Then she would stop and turn around to find where the kittens were.

It was easier to put her in a down stay when the kittens were ganging up

andrea727

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my husband has had big dogs all of his life, so he knew what he was getting into when he got her. I do most of the training though... We show her who's boss. Nothing happens unless we initiate it...playing, going out, etc. Thank you everyone for your advice!