Now I have to move

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, some of you guys may remember me telling you about the $100 fine for leaving a towel in the gate to the pool. Stupid HOA! Then I got a warning for people being able to see stuff on my patio from the road. (We had our noodles and rafts on the patio outside, leaning up against the corner) Then we got a $100 fine because we had glass at the pool. Then they told our room mate he had 1 week to get out.

So... now I have to move.

We have $0 total. Seriously, $0! We need to move to a 2-3 bedroom house/condo. It's going to cost us a 2-3 thousand dollars to just get moved in to the house, and we right now have $0. Luckily, my dad told us he would help us all out since he knows our situation.

Stupid HOA!

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am not sure about where you are at but most states have laws that protect you. I know here they have to give you 30 and 1 days notice. I would contact legal aide and see if what they are doing is even legal.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by april31

I am not sure about where you are at but most states have laws that protect you. I know here they have to give you 30 and 1 days notice. I would contact legal aide and see if what they are doing is even legal.
Please PLEASE look into this! There are so many laws out there to protect tenants and they don't even know their rights! A friend of mine was told she had 7 days to leave her apartment in Georgia...I was able to locate information and resources for her and she found out she had 90 days and the landlord would have to take her to court.

Anyway, here is the Arizona Residential Landlord and Tenant Act:

http://www.azsos.gov/public_services...rd_Tenant_Act/

Please, just look into your rights.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In most states they cannot give you a week to get out. It is almost always at least 30 days. When I was having trouble with a landlord, I googled tenant's rights and discovered that NC has a tenant's Bill of Rights. When I showed it to them, they put up a fuss, but they knew they were wrong and left me alone long enough to find another place. It would be worth a try.

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG, how terrible! I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I wish you the best of luck. I truly believe that when one door closes another opens up, so hopefully things will work out for the best.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, thats awful- I don't think thats even legal!

I hope you can find a place quickly & cheap!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Wow, thats awful- I don't think thats even legal!

I hope you can find a place quickly & cheap!
it's not. but moving is still your best option - doesn't sound like a fun place to live, IMO. but check out legalities - that way, you can tell them you know your rights, & you know you have XX number of days to move, etc. gives you more time to find the right place, too!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you do find something that increases the days before you move out to 30. That's just totally ridiculous!!! I would still move, but fight to increase it to 30 days.

I hope you do find something better

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mybabyphx

Well, some of you guys may remember me telling you about the $100 fine for leaving a towel in the gate to the pool. Stupid HOA! Then I got a warning for people being able to see stuff on my patio from the road. (We had our noodles and rafts on the patio outside, leaning up against the corner) Then we got a $100 fine because we had glass at the pool. Then they told our room mate he had 1 week to get out.
Good grief! What an awful place to live!

Sorry you have to move, but by the sounds of it it will be more positive than negative.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Good grief! What an awful place to live!

Sorry you have to move, but by the sounds of it it will be more positive than negative.
But only giving one week is not right...please look into that

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
in addition to them only giving you a week, which if you're paying your rent REALLY does not sound even close to right, they have to give you written notice I believe, not just "you have a week to get out"

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good grief! I remember your other post about the towel and I'm sure this is a blessing in disguise, but do see what your rights are! Are those fines even written into your paperwork for living there?

I know where we live the park has caught a lot of people off guard because the fine print says that maintenance of trees and shrubs are the people who live on whatever lot the tree/shrub is. So when we had a very large dead tree limb balancing over DH's bedroom (before we were married) we had to talk with the neighbor who had just moved in. DH felt so bad because she was single and pretty young, so quite obviously just starting out on her own. But then he didn't want to wake up with a tree on top of him either!

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They fined you a $100 for a towel? Wow. I wouldn't want to live in a place that was so strict over rules. The place my boyfriend lives always gives you a written warning, with a time limit to fix the problem. If you dont fix it then they fine. For instance one time he had tires on his porch which I guess was a violation, so they gave him 2 days to move them, and if he didnt after that he'd recieve a fine. The place where your living seems very unforgiving. If thier not careful everyones going to be moving away. I know I would be.

And the 7 days thing can't be right. Check your local laws.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should legally have 30 days to vacate the place.Look into that!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I just need to clarify something I don't think I mentioned before. Our landlord told our roommate that he had 1 week to get out. Not me and my boyfriend, just the room mate. Our landlord knew beforehand that we had a roommate, even though his name was NOT on the lease. So technically, I think he can legally kick him out in 7 days (since he's not on the contract).

My roommate is from Iowa. He moved here to Arizona from Iowa... not knowing anyone except my boyfriend and I. He now has to get out by this Saturday, with nowhere to go!

We are all moving now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had another quick question. (If you guys don't mind)

I haven't paid those fines yet, as I just found out not long ago, and I don't know whether or not I HAVE to pay them. I was never given anything written stating that I have a warning/fine/whatever. My landlord just called and told me about it. Obviously, the HOA doesn't discuss this with the tenant as they just called the landlord right away. I was given 2 different fines, each of them $100. Plus,Nothing written, I didn't sign anything, and why didn't they give me a warning?

I always pay my rent, full amount, on time... I think they are going to tack on these fines to my rent though!

I hate HOA!

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i wouldnt pay them ( the fines) you have nothing but a verabal on them, so its hearsay.

I would look into your rights as well, AND getting your security deposit back. Its the LEAST you deserve for all the CRAP you put up with.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Homeowner's associations are one of the scourges of modern society... too much power in too few hands, and abuse is rampant.

In a neighborhood near ours, the HOA was adamant that people had to have real wood shingles on their roofs, because anything else looked "tacky." After half a block burned down due to wind-borne sparks hitting those wooden shingles, the homeowners finally revolted and the almighty HOA rule was overturned.

When my folks moved in here, a lovely woman came by to welcome them to the neighborhood and sign them up for the homeowner's association -- "Just a formality," she told them, "you're automatically members anyway."

It was a blatant lie, and luckily, my mom didn't fall for it. Turned out that membership was strictly voluntary -- but once they got your signature, you were legally bound by their petty little rules.

You left a towel in the gate? AUGH! I'm surprised they're not going for the death penalty!