Can I ask for clarification on food?

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm really sorry for asking this (please forgive me), because this has been covered a number of times, but I'm confused. I have been reading over the different threads on food and the links to different sites that I found in these posts, but I'm confused on one thing. Is it better to go high quality dry and lower quality canned or high quality canned and lower quality dry? The girls were on Purina Cat Chow before I got them and I want them on much better. I've been researching raw for quite some time for our dogs, but I'm not comfortable going that direction just yet. There is a store in my area that sells the higher quality... http://www.naturalpetsupplyonline.com/catfoods.asp . I just wanted to make sure I did right. Thanks.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your planning on feeding both wet and dry I would say high quality dry and low quality wet not the other way around cuz low quality dry is the worst.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitytize

If your planning on feeding both wet and dry I would say high quality dry and low quality wet not the other way around cuz low quality dry is the worst.
That's what I thought, but wasn't sure and you know what they say about assuming.
Thanks so much.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, but ideally high quality of both would be best. I am so picky with foods though. For wet, you can get lower quality but try to get the least amount of by-products as possible and don't buy ANYTHING with wheat gluten in it! Walmart sells a decent canned food, can't remember the name of it however

Natural Life perhaps? There is also Maxximum Nutrition which I think comes in a canned and is fairly decent. All at Walmart.

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Natural Life is a real good canned cat food for the price... I'm not willing to order and it's the best canned I have available even remotely locally. I can't spend alot of money on Zoey otherwise she would be on the best, highest-quality food there is out there! But she seems very happy with what she is on... I would try to find a decent quality of both...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I agree, but ideally high quality of both would be best. I am so picky with foods though. For wet, you can get lower quality but try to get the least amount of by-products as possible and don't buy ANYTHING with wheat gluten in it! Walmart sells a decent canned food, can't remember the name of it however

Natural Life perhaps? There is also Maxximum Nutrition which I think comes in a canned and is fairly decent. All at Walmart.
See that's how I am, but there are so many out there that it's hard to choose the best. I'll definitely go higher quality of canned with the dry, but I saw that some canned food was almost $2.00 or more for a small can and that will get expensive really fast, so I will try to find the best I can within our budget. It definitely won't be like FF, 9 Lives, etc. I leaning towards one of the ones that Natural Pet Supply (link in original post) sells or Nutro. I'm going shopping tomorrow after I drop the girls off to be spayed, so I'll definitely look at the ingredients and do some comparison. Thank you all. I really do appreciate it. I felt bad for posting another thread on something that has been covered so many times, but after reading them, I was confused. lol You all have really helped and are the greatest!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay here is my not so expensive yet premium canned list

Meow mix

Sheba tubs

Some of the new Iams ( read ) chicken entree and beef I think

Better and easily avail

Natural life ( GREAT for the 76 cents a can)

Nutro ( soon easily gotten)

By nature canned ( pouches are made in china thus I am not using but canned is good and reasonable)

Natural balence

Solid Gold

Yes if you have to choose which is quality MAKE it the dry and use whatever wet you can afford and kitty will eat

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNKittyMom

See that's how I am, but there are so many out there that it's hard to choose the best. I'll definitely go higher quality of canned with the dry, but I saw that some canned food was almost $2.00 or more for a small can and that will get expensive really fast, so I will try to find the best I can within our budget. It definitely won't be like FF, 9 Lives, etc. I leaning towards one of the ones that Natural Pet Supply (link in original post) sells or Nutro. I'm going shopping tomorrow after I drop the girls off to be spayed, so I'll definitely look at the ingredients and do some comparison. Thank you all. I really do appreciate it. I felt bad for posting another thread on something that has been covered so many times, but after reading them, I was confused. lol You all have really helped and are the greatest!
No need to apologize, I've been intensely researching cat foods for the last 6 months because one of mine has a digestion problem, and I still get confused. Like I understand why some ingredients are to be avoided but if I have to choose between 2 that both have ingredients to avoid but different ingredients to avoid, how do I choose between them? Sigh...

Medora

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

No need to apologize, I've been intensely researching cat foods for the last 6 months because one of mine has a digestion problem, and I still get confused. Like I understand why some ingredients are to be avoided but if I have to choose between 2 that both have ingredients to avoid but different ingredients to avoid, how do I choose between them? Sigh...

Medora
I would suggest trying one( this is wet food >>>??) for a week and then the other see if anything changes

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I would suggest trying one( this is wet food >>>??) for a week and then the other see if anything changes
What I meant is that there are ingredients that I need to avoid because of her digestive problems and because that greatly reduces what foods I can feed her I am sometimes faced with the problem of having to choose between 2 foods that I wouldn't ordinarily feed because they contain other ingredients (by-products, wheat gluten, etc) I don't approve of. So it is sometimes a matter of determining which is the "lesser of 2 evils".

Medora

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
mschauer;1850932 said:
What I meant is that there are ingredients that I need to avoid because of her digestive problems and because that greatly reduces what foods I can feed her I am sometimes faced with the problem of having to choose between 2 foods that I wouldn't ordinarily feed because they contain other ingredients (by-products, wheat gluten, etc) I don't approve of. So it is sometimes a matter of determining which is the "lesser of 2 evils".

true
in your case I would actually recommend talking about a homemade diet

Common ones to avoid

Wheat ( can be labelled whole wheat , wheat gluten , wheat flour , wheat mill run)( unless allergic this is an okay ingrediant as digestabilty is higher than potato , barley , sorhugum, corn

Fish ... most handle salmon and herrring but not all ... AVOID human tuna

Corn ... Names corn grits , hominay, corn surup( ie this is sugar ) ... my corn girl was fine with a little corn gluten but still avoid if you think allergy or intolerance...NOT AS COMMON IN CATS AS in dogs

Glycerin

BHT

BHA

Ethaquin( cant spell)

Propelene gycol( any gycols ... they are sugars

ALL artificial colors

ANImal by products not named.... I might be okay with a giblets that states what it is ... in a crunch might use chn by products vs meat by products..

hope that helps ... PM for any I missed