Drinking Habits!

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A quirk my cat has is that he won't really drink out of his water bowl but any time I put a glass of water down he's up drinking out of it! It's very cute but a pain as I have to go get a fresh glass for myself which he will try and drink nearly as soon as I put it down!

I thought maybe it was because I drink filtered water from the fridge whereas I was giving him tap water (only difference is a slightly metallic taste from the tap water; it's harmless) so I gave him filtered water in his bowl but this made no difference. Plus I wouldn't have expected him to be that fussy as he isn't fussy about his food.

Does anyone else's cat do this? As I said I think it's cute and not necessarily looking for advice to put a stop to it; just wondering why!

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know why they do that, but my Gracie does the same thing.
The only way we could stop her was to give her a glass of her own.
She loves the bathtub so there's always a fresh cup of water in there for her.
When she wants a drink that's where she goes to get it and leaves are glasses alone.

All this time I thought Gracie was just a little oddball, glad to see she's not alone

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Weeeeiiiirrrrd.... All I can think of is that your kitty wants to be "part of the family"!!! Instead of being limited to his own water bowl, he wants to dmake you share yours!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catnip

A quirk my cat has is that he won't really drink out of his water bowl but any time I put a glass of water down he's up drinking out of it! It's very cute but a pain as I have to go get a fresh glass for myself which he will try and drink nearly as soon as I put it down!

I thought maybe it was because I drink filtered water from the fridge whereas I was giving him tap water (only difference is a slightly metallic taste from the tap water; it's harmless) so I gave him filtered water in his bowl but this made no difference. Plus I wouldn't have expected him to be that fussy as he isn't fussy about his food.

Does anyone else's cat do this? As I said I think it's cute and not necessarily looking for advice to put a stop to it; just wondering why!
I give both of my cats the same filtered water from the fridge that I drink. However, many people never or rarely change this filter, which after a period of time becomes contaminated, so I have it plainly marked on my calendar to change the filter every six months. Both cats also seem to like it cool because they come running when I fill their dishes from the fridge. Of course trying to keep them supplied with cool water is a small hassle, but it is worth it to see how important this seems to be to them!

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats get cold Brita filtered water from the fridge; I give them clean stainless bowls (to stave off chin acne) and fresh water twice daily. They drink do better than I do!

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catnip

What Kind of food are you feeding your kitty? If its moist food he or she might not be thirsty as the food already has water in it...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not worried about his water intake as he eats mainly wet. It's just the way he will only drink out of my glass when he is thirsty. It's cute, that's all.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Diesel and Portia both will only drink out of a glass

So we have a full one on our bedside table at all times, plus a bowl near their food

Spoilt brats

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clpeters23

My cats get cold Brita filtered water from the fridge; I give them clean stainless bowls (to stave off chin acne) and fresh water twice daily. They drink do better than I do!
Now I am waiting for somebody to come on here and tell us they give their cats Evian! Persi does like to sneak a drink of my Perrier now and then.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well as an experiment the last two days I made sure there was a constant supply of fresh, filtered water in Harry's bowl. I also left a glass of water unchanged on the table. He only drank out of the glass. So it's nothing to do with filtered/fresh; he just likes drinking out of a glass!