What insect repellant do you use?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was outside all weekend helping my husband get rocks out of the yard and planting more grass and flowers. The bugs just about drove me crazy! I wasn't so much mosquitoes as gnats. I wore my glasses today because the dust irritated my eyes yesterday, and they kept getting caught between my eyes and my glasses...and in my nose, and ears, and I swear I think I ate a few. I hate deep woods off for the stickiness. My MIL let me use some herbal stuff that stung my face but worked for a while, but I sweat it off very fast. I hear Skin-so-soft from Avon works but I'm allergic to a lot of Avon products (they make me break out) and I haven't tried it yet. Any suggestions for good and affordable bug be gone stuff?? Thanks!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
whatever you use make sure it has Deet in it. I use Off Deep Woods with Deet. Also- if you put a sheet of fabric softner in your pocket while you're outside- it repels mosquitos

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I burn Amazon Lights garden incense, smells lovely and outdoorsy and works great.
https://shop.theanimalrescuesite.com...337&siteId=310
I'm definitely going to be getting some of those for the porch, but that doesn't help when I'm working on 5 acres of land. Or, let me put it this way, I can't afford that much! They do sound good for a smaller area though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

whatever you use make sure it has Deet in it. I use Off Deep Woods with Deet. Also- if you put a sheet of fabric softner in your pocket while you're outside- it repels mosquitos
You know, I was desperate enough today to stick a dryer sheet in the front of my bra! It kept the mosquitoes away, but not the gnats. But, at least I smelled like Bounce and not sweat!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

whatever you use make sure it has Deet in it. I use Off Deep Woods with Deet...

I'll use Off Deep Woods if I am going to be around mosquitos but not for anything else. I'm horribly allergic to them and they love me. Pretty much I stay away from places with mosquitos so I don't have to put poison on my skin.

Sorry I don't have advice for gnats.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

You know, I was desperate enough today to stick a dryer sheet in the front of my bra! It kept the mosquitoes away, but not the gnats. But, at least I smelled like Bounce and not sweat!
works sooo well on mosquitos doesn't it!!
i am SOOOOOOOOO allergic to them- i get massive welts when i get a bite and have to get a shot from the doctor
so i'd much rather use a dryer sheet or spray and avoid them at all costs
At the animal shelter we have sooo many different kinds of insects it's horrible
to make matters worse we can't spray for everything as we don't wont to hurt the animals so we have to deal with insects on a regular basis.

Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I'll use Off Deep Woods if I am going to be around mosquitos but not for anything else (don't want the poison on my skin). I'm horribly allergic to them and they love me. Pretty much I stay away from places with mosquitoes.

Sorry, I don't have advice about gnats.
I'm REALLY allergic to them too
I hate them! Luckily at the shelter where i work we have quite a few of those little dragonflies (and they kill mosquitoes) so i love to see those around

By the way anyone have advice on what to use to prevent flea or tick bites in humans????

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I hear Skin-so-soft from Avon works
No it doesn't!!!! Me and my friend and her whole family tried it one day while we were out at their trailer. All 7 of us were being eaten alive while the people next door used OFF and stayed pretty much mosquito free! The mosquitos were flocking to all of us, even my friend's husband who normally doesn't have a problem with mosquitos.

I either use Deep Woods OFF or Watkins mosquito lotion.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

DEET is the stuff. Nasty though. Make sure you keep it off your face if at all possible. DH has made his mouth numb by wiping the sweat off with his arm

Nothin' beats it though...

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
skin so sort works for me, but I don't like the smell, I use all the herbal stuff, but you are right it doesn't last long. It is impractical, but somethimes I carry a big bucket citronella canndle lit, with me. that works, but then you have to lug it along and be very careful. Yesterday I used some herbal stuff I got from Gardens Alive, and I guess I used too much be cause my arms broke out, now I have red bumps on the tender part of my forearms. It is a neverending battle, good luck.

princess-pickle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oooh! I need some insect repellent too! I'm covered in bites and it's not even proper summertime yet!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While mosquitos do not usually bother me its the deer flies that do.
I have deep woods off. If you go to a store that sells hunting and fishing supplies or sporting goos store they usually carry some good stuff to. I have a product called Repel that has deet and also a product called Ultrathon insect repellent -works for 8 hours and against deer ticks too-the active ingredient is N,N,Diethyl-m-Toluamide-that's the best so far.