4 yo Ragamuffin not eating, drinking

lady_tiger61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
any other ragamuffin owners out there who are having this problem??

every year - about this time - my parents cat, Cooper, basically stops eating and drinking. so much so that there is nothing in his litter box. his breath doesn't smell like his system is backed up.

dad's been force feeding water to coop with a syringe, too, to make sure he gets some water.

normally, coop is about 18 to 20 pounds - normal for his breed. in the last few weeks, he's dropped four or five pounds.

dad knows he should take coop to the vet - but he and mom are still searching for a new one after they had a not so great financial experience with their last one.

i'm just trying to figure out what coop is up against in order to give my folks a heads up.

any and all advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get an eye dropper and give my cats Gatorade or pedialyte when they stop eating.
I would also go to the vet and tell him what you told us.

I pray it all turns out well. I know how you worry, if you are anything like me.

I stress over everything: do they pee and poop enough? Do they drink enough water? Are they eating ok?

Good luck to you!

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How long has it been since he stopped eating? I would be worried about Fatty Liver Disease, as that can happen when cats don't eat for even a few days. Have they tried syringe feeding him wet food? I would get him to the vet as soon as possible - any vet.

Since it always happens at this time of year, I wonder if he might be having trouble with a hairball that's taking away his appetite. This is the season for it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by momto3cats

Since it always happens at this time of year, I wonder if he might be having trouble with a hairball that's taking away his appetite. This is the season for it.
Yes, it could be. Paraffine oil is good to get such out. Besides totally harmless, especielly if you know how to give it. And you know as you are forcefeeding him with water.
Cat Malt is even better (and the solution in Cat Malt is 90% paraffine oil!).

Some cats loose all strengh in the summer, when it is hot. Forcefeeding water is quite often necessary.
A drinking well may be a good help here. Or at least do have several cups with water in different rooms. Fresh water and some with stale water.

Last. Is he intact? Ie unneutered??
Our older Sire had difficulties at summers. Didnt drunk much and didnt ate much. But much less summer-difficulties when we did neutered him (because of his difficulties, it was too much for him).

Good you (=your parents that is) are on the way to a vet for check up and advice.

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pineapple juice works great for getting rid of hairballs. It has a digestive enzyme that helps break down the hair. I used it on my rabbit when he had a huge hairball and it actually saved his life.(hairballs are serious in rabbits and can kill them since rabbits are unable to throw up)
You could try giving him some. Even if he doesn't have a hairball, it won't hurt him.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gothicangel69

Pineapple juice works great for getting rid of hairballs. It has a digestive enzyme that helps break down the hair. I used it on my rabbit when he had a huge hairball and it actually saved his life.(hairballs are serious in rabbits and can kill them since rabbits are unable to throw up)
You could try giving him some. Even if he doesn't have a hairball, it won't hurt him.
Hey, that's a great idea! I never heard this!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lady_tiger61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks everyone. i've passed all of your advice on to my folks (they're not much into message boards themselves). mom said that she's got an appointment tomorrow with a different vet.

she doesn't think that a lodged hairball is an issue. coop has never been prone to them and he gets combed all the time.

he's never been one to eat canned cat food - but he'll like at it every once in a blue moon.

i'll keep you all posted. i've never seen my dad so worried about a kitty since _his_ nearly 20-year-old alley cat Pew passed away more than 10 years ago.

thanks again for all your advice and support.

and if anyone thinks of anything else _PLEASE_ let me know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lady_tiger61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks again, everyone for all your help. Unfortunately, Cooper has crossed the rainbow bridge.
he wasn't even my furbaby and yet i can't type this without crying.

mom took him to the vet today and the vet said that he has something wrong with his liver - mom couldn't tell me if it was fatty liver disease.

doc said coop was in pain and suffering and that they could try some treatments but there was little chance of success.

because coop was suffering, mom couldn't bear to prolong it by trying treatments that most likely would not have worked.

i know he's in a better place now - but it hurts to know that the last time i had the overgrown furball in my lap was just that - the last time.

again, thank you for all your help. maybe someone else who comes along the string will see something that will help them.

below is a link to a picture of Cooper - for some reason TCS isn't letting me post images.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...g?t=1182879860

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am so sad, I am crying myself. Please accept my condolences. All of you are in my prayers.

Cooper is a gorgeous cat!

RIP, Sweet Cooper.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm so sorry. I am praying for you and your family.

That is an adorable picture of Cooper.