What an afternoon! Yet another reason to spay and neuter!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right when i got ready to leave the shelter this afternoon from work i cleaned the cages in the hallway. (that's where we keep our pregnant kitties/new moms so they're seperate from other animals.) Yesterday among many other crazy happenings at our shelter, a lady brought in a pregnant cat she had founbd (yea right
). ANYWAYS my coworker was right- she had those kittens eithor last night or this morning - (she took one look at her and said she was about to pop!
) When I opened the cage this afternoon to feed/care for the momma and change the bedding- i noticed something was horribly wrong. The momma must have been a new momma because when i looked at the 5 kittens- they were ALL 5 still attached to the placenta and it was soo horrible they were all intertwined and their little legs and tails were stick together.
At first i took them into the surgery room and was going to try and cut the cords myself and tie them off- but they were wrapped up soo badly i couldn't. I called my boss and she said to go to her house with them and she'd help.(she's soo sweet!
) So i loaded up the kittens and momma in my car and off we went. When we got there- one of the kittens was already dead- it had ripped itself away from the others and it's little bowel was hanging out
poor baby. We were able after about 45 minutes to untangle the remaining 4 kittens. It was at that point we realized that one of the other kittens had both legs, its tail (and i also think it's pelvis) broken from being wrapped up soo badly
That kitten we were able to untangle and get the placenta off of it- but the damage was already done- so when i take it back to the shelter in a little bit ( i go back at night to rewater all the animals in the summer), i'm going to have to put the little baby down- i hate to do it, but that's the most kind thing right now-
It's in a lot of pain and it's way too young to have the extensive surgeries it'd take to fix both legs, the tip of the tail and its pelvis. Hopefully though- at least the other three will have a good fighting chance of making it and the momma will do ok with them now. (just checked on her a minute ago and she was nursing all of them.)

(at this point i'm still planning on taking the momma and kittens back to work with me tonight to go back into their cage at the shelter- but i may wind up keeping them in the garage seperate from my other animals in the side room if i see they need the extra help.)

so yea, important lesson of the day for all who read this: PLEASE SPAY/NEUTER YOUR PET(S) AND ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO DO THE SAME!!:

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh wow, those poor lil babies!!!!

I never REALLY understood the importance till i had my first cat, and realized how ppl can become hordors so fast.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww That must have been terrible, I know I could never work there. Hope your OK Nikki it must be hard on you...And the Spay & Neuter I agree, thats what my bumper sticker says, so many people just still don't care enough.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Liza24

oh wow, those poor lil babies!!!!

I never REALLY understood the importance till i had my first cat, and realized how ppl can become hordors so fast.
ohhhh don't get me started on hoarders! yesterday beore work- my coworker and i arrived to find 18 darn cats all stuffed together in a tiny rabbit cage
it was AWEFUL we think they did it right before we opened too because not one kitty had an accident in there- there was no room for them to walk let alone sit- they were all on top of one another- it was horrid!!!
I SINCERLY think it was a hoarder who did this because these were all obviously tame housecats (besides- it's not easy to fit 18 (mostly adult- except for 4 kittens- two were about 6 mo and two were about 4mo) in a cage together!) We were all just baffaled as to who would do this. I mean they just left the cage on the front door step! After about two hours of filling out paperwork, assessing them, testing them,etc- we were able to save 7 of them. The rest were too sickly and in bad shape.) Today when i checked on the 7 that we were able to save- all of them seemed to be doing great!
(we put them in isolation just to be on the safe side and started them on meds since they'd all been exposed to the illness). It was really sad though yesterday- i mean ALL of those cats except one were just soooooo sweet and tame
They had to have been someone's cats- i just think someone was hoarding them and got overwhelmed with caring for them and duped them off.- but man! at least ask for help! don't just leave them for dead in a cage together. It made my coworkers and I furious!!!!! Yesterday was horrible at the shelter- that was only ONE of the many crazy things that happened
So yea- by the time that lady showed up yesterday to drop off that pregnant kitty that she "conviently found"- i swear it was hers! we were about to rip her head off
Fourtunately though- some good news- we had several adoptions yesterday out of our Petsmart location so that was great! (had to end on a good note- it's been a very stressful weekend!)

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

Oh, that`s aweful!
Poor babies and mummy cat.
Is she taking care of the babies now?
she's nursing them well so far (i just checked on them a moment ago.) i also dabed a pinch of karo syrup on top of their heads and now she's grooming them a bit too so that's good!
i'm going to take them back up to the shelter in a little while when i go back to rewater everyone. (or i might just leave them in the garage room here tonight so i can keep an eye on them.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How awful - I hope that there is a reckoning when we all get to the pearly gates - some people just don't get it!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

Oh, I hope they all do well
thankyou! i just got back from the shelter- i took them all in and set them up in a nice cozy cage with lots of warm bedding/etc and so far so good. i didn't wind up putting the kitten to sleep as i couldn't find the key to the solution- but it seem ok for tonight- so i'm going to let my boss look at it again in the morning and see what she thinks.

Originally Posted by LokisMum

How awful - I hope that there is a reckoning when we all get to the pearly gates - some people just don't get it!
I truely hope so too.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I hope there was some reason why you couldn't find the pts solution... maybe that kitten is meant to have a second chance, maybe his poor tiny bones can be put right after all.

I don't know how you do it... I truly don't. Thank heaven for you, and people like you.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

by the time that lady showed up yesterday to drop off that pregnant kitty that she "conviently found"- i swear it was hers! we were about to rip her head off
I know this isn't really why you posted this thread, but I had to ask...

What was it about this woman that convinced you this cat was absolutely hers?

Not that I don't believe you.. honest!
This just made me think back to when I found Tryon on the street and tried to get her into a shelter. The manager yelled at me and stood there accusing me of being irresponsible and how, since I was getting on a plane back to FL the next day, 'should have thought of this sooner'. Sooner? I hadn't even had her 12 hours yet. I had only found her half starved and on the street the night before.

So basically what I'm trying to figure out is... since I got accused of the same thing and I really, truly did find Tryon... what was it about her that made you not believe her? Something she said or did? I'm sure you see this all the time... but it's something I always wondered so I figured you were the perfect person to ask

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou everyone who responded. Just a little update. This morning my boss and I pts the one little kitten that was in such bad shape. We tried to give him a chance last night to see if he'd improve over night but that just wasn't the case. We looked it over again and it for sure had two broken legs, a broken pelvis (i was right about that my boss said) and a broken tail
I was actually glad we were able to put that sweet little baby out of its suffering it was just pitiful
/ The other three kittens are doing AWESOME though- i had to share a big of good news with ya'll! And the momma seems to be getting the hang of things now- she chewed off their cords (after we tied them off yesterday) and has been grooming them and nursing well. So far so good! I hate that we lost that little one but i am soooooo happy that the momma and other 3 are doing so well!

Originally Posted by Mcat

Bless you for taking care of them and prayers that they do well from now on.
Thankyou hon i appreciate that!

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Oh I hope there was some reason why you couldn't find the pts solution... maybe that kitten is meant to have a second chance, maybe his poor tiny bones can be put right after all.

I don't know how you do it... I truly don't. Thank heaven for you, and people like you.
I am sad to say it had to be pts as it's condition was just too far gone BUT i am happy to say that the other 3 are doing just wonderful now.

Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

I know this isn't really why you posted this thread, but I had to ask...

What was it about this woman that convinced you this cat was absolutely hers?

Not that I don't believe you.. honest!
This just made me think back to when I found Tryon on the street and tried to get her into a shelter. The manager yelled at me and stood there accusing me of being irresponsible and how, since I was getting on a plane back to FL the next day, 'should have thought of this sooner'. Sooner? I hadn't even had her 12 hours yet. I had only found her half starved and on the street the night before.

So basically what I'm trying to figure out is... since I got accused of the same thing and I really, truly did find Tryon... what was it about her that made you not believe her? Something she said or did? I'm sure you see this all the time... but it's something I always wondered so I figured you were the perfect person to ask
The reason i say that is because we have personally delt with this heifer before (and she has dumped off her own animals). We have also had numerous complaints from her neighbors. I would NEVER say anything like that if i didn't know for certain that's what the situation was but i'm definite this was her own cat and she was just not a responsible owner and let the cat get pregnant. I am soo sorry that your local shelter was rude to you- they should not have done that when you were just trying to help.
Shelters can be very high stress places sometimes and sometimes the people that work in them are more "animal" people than "people" people if that makes sense so their customer service skills aren't all that great (not justifying what they did by any means- but i've seen stuff like that happen before at other shelters). Bless you for getting that sweet dog to safety though!
I wish there were more people like you out there!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if I could do what you do either Nikki. I wish the animals could tell you how much they appreciate it.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

I don't know if I could do what you do either Nikki. I wish the animals could tell you how much they appreciate it.
aww thanks
some days i cope by eating a little chocolate and venting on tcs (like yesterday)
/ i'm about to head back in a minute (on my break now) -i'll update later tonight on them and let everyone know how the momma and remaining 3 babies are doing. i think i'll name them if i get a chance too.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How awful! This is why I dont foster pregnant cats. I couldnt handle if something bad happened like that. I like the nice healthy babies that come with their moms. RIP little kitten. And I hope that the rest continue to do well. I dont know why people dont spay and neuter.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a little update- i checked on the momma and 3 babies before i left work tonight and so far so good
they were nursing well and the momma was grooming them- so that's great news tonight!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nikki you do so much for these precious animals. thanks for doing all what you do. those animals are so lucky to have you to help them!

I am so glad the mom and babies are doing better.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks guys
i called up to work a little while ago (i'm off today & tomorrow) to check on them and my coworker said they're doing well today so that's wonderful news!!!