Homemade Cat Toys!

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I thought it'd be really fun to make a thread where everybody can post their own ideas for home-made cat toys! I mean, what is the use in spending so much money on toys that we can make ourselves; we can even personalize them! So here are some of Zoey's favorites...

Fishing Rod Toy- Original Version:

Attatch a small 5x2 inch strip of newspaper to a shoe-lace, piece of twine or string, by tying it. At the other end of the lace/twine/string, attatch a stick such as that from outside in your yard, or a wooden skewer from your kitchen drawer. Provides hours of entertainment!

Fishing Rod Toy- Fancy Version:

You can find brightly dyed wooden dowels at craft stores such as Hobby Lobby; at the same store, you should be able to buy colorful feathers, and colored string or twine; or an even more fun idea, is to buy shoelaces with fun patterns on them! You may also have colorful yarn hanging around your place... Bundle 5-6 feathers and secure with colored string/twine with a knot. At the opposite end of the string/twine, attatch the wooden dowel. (You may buy them with holes drilled in the ends or metal rings, or you may have to do something as the before mentioned yourself.)

Stuffed "Pounce" Stick:

This is a fun project if you have a sewing machine handy! Cut a piece of fabric (fun colors and pattersn!) 10 to 11 inches long, and 2.5 to 3 inches wide. Fold in half length-wise and secure with sewing pins (be sure you have the fabric inside-out!). Sew down the side, 2-3 times; sharp little claws can rip the stitches easily, so multiple safety is recommended! Sew one end of the "tube" closed; again, go over it 2-3 times. Using a knitting needle or similar device, turn the fabric tube inside-out, so that the colorful side is showing. Using some poly-fill (or ripped up cottonballs) you may proceed to stuff your toy; I used the end of a coloring pencil and a knitting needle for mine. This takes patience! You may want to periodically sprinkle some cat-nip inside the toy as well, to stimulate play. When you are finished, hand-sew the end of the toy closed. Zoey looooooves pouncing on these!

Some additional ideas are:

*-Tin Foil Wads: you can make them many sizes; these are especially fun when they roll easily on hardwood, vinyl, tile, or linoleum floors!
*-Newspaper Sheets: wad up and toss at your kitty, or just put a sheet over their heads; lots of fun involved with these!
*-Just plain old yarn, twine, or shoe string also provide endless entertainment!

Do you have any ideas?

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd actually like to make some, but honestly, we really don't make any of our own here because we can't find the supplies for them, and ours demolish anything that is easily breakable.

They do, however, love empty boxes and paper bags.

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know a really good toy which Sophia enjoys is crunched up 'Foil Ball'. Which is made up of tin foil crunched up into a ball hehe

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wadded up notebook paper is Daphne's favorite. She loves to play fetch and then stash them somewhere

Seb's fave is Daphne
She isn't cheap though!

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Caps. I made the mistake of teaching my two that caps are their toys as kittens. Now they view them as their very own "mice." Emma will even knock over bottles to see if the caps will come off and the water will come out. After she's done watching the water pour onto the carpet, she can knock the cap around.
Thank goodness I have a sense of humor.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I have an alpaca bear... Joyeux has been trying to steal it for awhile now. I finally ordered her her own alpaca bear... now she carts it around .. it's as big as she is.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Around here you will find rolled up newspapers. Take a newspaper sheet, roll from one corner to the opposite as tightly as you can. Tape and wiggle in front of hyperactive half-Turkish Angora for fun. (Your cat breed will vary.)

Another favorite is a length of strong bead stringing thread with large fake pearls (I inch size) tied at either end. Let dangle or drag.

Years ago Mom would bring home the empty spools from her adding machine for the cats to play with. Dad took one and strung nylon cord through the hole and then hug it from a door frame. It was low enough for kittens to enjoy and sometimes they would end up swinging on it.

Got tall weeds? Especially those with plume like seed heads (fox tail)? Another great toy.

Of course, anything a cat can get its paws onto is a potential toy.

lady_tiger61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sneakers loves the funnies from the newspaper. I don't even have to ball it up or anything - just lay the funnies flat on the floor. he'll run around, pounce it, pull up one of the corners with his paws, gnaw on it, then run away - only to run back a few moments later to start all over again.

a few months ago - he'd do this at least once a day. now, i'm lucky if he does it once a week. oh well.

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Roxie certainly loves the simple things but my wallet does thank her!!

We take old knee-highs cut them a little shorter, fill them with cat nip and knot a few times... She absolutely loves these

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roxie225

Roxie certainly loves the simple things but my wallet does thank her!!

We take old knee-highs cut them a little shorter, fill them with cat nip and knot a few times... She absolutely loves these
I think mine need to take a few lessons from yours.

mrjonah

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I make my own organic catnip toys and since I don't have a kitty at present, I give them to friends as gifts for their kitties. They are just wicked and it's so funny to watch!!

ferocity302

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrjonah

I make my own organic catnip toys and since I don't have a kitty at present, I give them to friends as gifts for their kitties. They are just wicked and it's so funny to watch!!
How do you make them? What do they look like? I would love to know more!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd love to see pictures for those of you who have made toys!