Why does Trout knead me?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone actually knows why cats knead when their getting comfy cozy?

Is there an explanation as to why they knead and purr?

I was just wondering because Trout does it very often..and not sure why although it is VERY cute

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I understand it, it is an instinctive relex that kittens are born with to help get their mother's milk to flow when nursing. It gets carried over into adulthood most often when the kitten is weaned too early, or sometimes just because they find it comforting.

I just love it when Ginger does it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

As I understand it, it is an instinctive relex that kittens are born with to help get their mother's milk to flow when nursing. It gets carried over into adulthood most often when the kitten is weaned too early, or sometimes just because they find it comforting.

I just love it when Ginger does it.
Awwwww, I just LOVE it too..it is the cutest

When you put it that way, I try to imagine what Trout's first few weeks of life were like...it makes me sad a little because I got her from a petstore so god knows what she went through

Thank goodness she is safe and sound now and forever

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prue & Kali do this too. I think its cute when Prue does, she does it to a blanket, but Kali likes to do it on bare skin,with nails, and i so HAVE to object,lol.

pennicat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In my experience, MOST cats do this. In the case of my cats (and my dearly daparted Penelope), NONE of them were weaned too early. All were with their moms until at least 12 weeks of age, yet they still do this.

I've read that this type of kitten-like behaviour has more to do with the fact that our little kitty children never quite grow up mentally if they are being well taken care of in a loving home. They usually come straight from mom to their new mom(s) - us. Since we take care of them, they never quite mature mentally in the same way a feral cat does, so they keep some of this kitten-like behaviour for life. The kneeding is one of these behaviours - one of the things that makes them so darn cute and loveable in my opinion!

Kristi

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pennicat

In my experience, MOST cats do this. In the case of my cats (and my dearly daparted Penelope), NONE of them were weaned too early. All were with their moms until at least 12 weeks of age, yet they still do this.

I've read that this type of kitten-like behaviour has more to do with the fact that our little kitty children never quite grow up mentally if they are being well taken care of in a loving home. They usually come straight from mom to their new mom(s) - us. Since we take care of them, they never quite mature mentally in the same way a ferrel cat does, so they keep some of this kitten-like behaviour for life. The kneeding is one of these behaviours - one of the things that makes them so darn cute and loveable in my opinion!

Kristi
hm.. this is interesting. All cats I've had besides Puff have done this. I do know Puff was born with a feral mom. Though he was trapped days after birth. She was allowed to raise the kittens at the shelter. He's never once kneaded me.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, I just love this! Stan has taken to hopping up on my pillow and kneading my hair in the morning. Part of me is kind of annoyed to wake up to the pointy head massage, but when I look up and see how happy he is purring and kneading and blinking at me I kind of melt a little.

Every cat I've had has done this to some extent, I always believed it was part of the "eternal kittenhood" of most neutered housecats...

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maggie May kneads we almost every night, I love it!!!! Jazz only does it occassionaly, but it's great from her to.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love this when Sonic does it- as long as his claws are trimmed

Never been owned by a cat that doesn't do this and appreciate the answer

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh, I guess I always thought it had something to do with scenting us...i.e claiming us as territory.

Luna is the only one in our house that does it.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone actually knows why cats knead when their getting comfy cozy?

Is there an explanation as to why they knead and purr?

I was just wondering because Trout does it very often..and not sure why although it is VERY cute
I have one of those massage chairs, it massages your back, legs, and arms at the same time. But it does not massage your stomache. Alley has appointed herself as taking care of that. What fun, having the chair working on you while your cat works on you at the same time. Whenever I start up the chair, Alley comes running as if on cue!

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gracie does it every night.
When we go to bed she hops up with us and has to knead my arms, chest and neck then she lays down beside me and goes to sleep.
She never does it to my Husband though, she just chews his hair.

Elliott like to get on my lap and need my thighs, he's a big boy and all that weight plus his claws when I'm wearing shorts can hurt a little bit.
I think his claws need trimmed again.