TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I have a question...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I have a question...

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Ok, so I am leaving for a few days TWICE this summer and I am considering hiring a petsitter. I have never had anyone come into my home and watch any of my pets before (mostly because I don't like the thought of someone I don't know being in my house), but I don't like the thought of having to stres Petunia out anymore than I have to. So here's my question-- how do I get good references on someone that I don't know? I can ask the other people that have hired her, but I don't know them either and they could be her really good friend or something. I was going to have my sister watch them, but I don't like to ask her to do stuff like that because she always makes me feel like I owe her my life after something like that.
post #2 of 14
I don't know but I'm looking forward to hearing some responses! We had a good pet sitter in Cambridge, but a very, very, very, awful tragedy one here in Victoria whose card we got from our vet.
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampWitch View Post
I don't know but I'm looking forward to hearing some responses! We had a good pet sitter in Cambridge, but a very, very, very, awful tragedy one here in Victoria whose card we got from our vet.
I kind of thought that this was a good time to ask this question since it is the prime vacation time here in the States. I just hate the thought of someone that I don't know wondering aound my house touching my stuff!
post #4 of 14
I always just had my friends come over and check on them a few times a day. Now that I dont live near any of my friends I would probably ask Joe who lives downstairs to watch them since he has offered many times.
post #5 of 14
There is another thread about petsitters, and there was a website that listed them along with there credentials. I think there is an official organization to which they belong and register. You could search for that.

I have used a great petstitter, but she came recommended from a close friend of mine at work.

some of the recommendations are to have the person come before the trip to meet the kitties, and use them once for a day, to get an idea of how they work.

The one I used, left me a diary of what the cats did while there, and she was insured and bonded.
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fostermomm View Post
I always just had my friends come over and check on them a few times a day. Now that I dont live near any of my friends I would probably ask Joe who lives downstairs to watch them since he has offered many times.
See, that's my problem-- I don't have anyone that I would want to take care of the cats and be in my apartment when I am not here. I love my friend's to death, but they either have no pet of their own and no clue what to do with them, have allergies, or they would just let Pepper run out the door and not catch him. That's the other problem--Pepper tries to escape every single time the door is opened. This is going to be a challenge, I think.
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailuvscats View Post
There is another thread about petsitters, and there was a website that listed them along with there credentials. I think there is an official organization to which they belong and register. You could search for that.

I have used a great petstitter, but she came recommended from a close friend of mine at work.

some of the recommendations are to have the person come before the trip to meet the kitties, and use them once for a day, to get an idea of how they work.

The one I used, left me a diary of what the cats did while there, and she was insured and bonded.
Thank you for the suggestions! I will search for that petsitter thread. I did find a petsitter on the internet and she is registered with the International Pet Sitters, but that meant nothing to me since I have never heard of it.
post #8 of 14
For us, my mother-in-law will take care of ours, if needed. Of course, we never go anywhere. Can you check with your vet for references? A friend of mine works for the vet's office and she always has one of the techs to take care of hers and "housesit" when they go out of town. Hope you find a good one.
post #9 of 14
You might ask at your vet's office. They may know of someone reliable in your area.
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
I think I have one of the times taken care of--I talked to one of my friend's that I never even thought of and she said she could do the July time (whew, that was a run on sentence!). I'm all for talking to the vet's office, but I haven't found one yet since I moved.
post #11 of 14
i wont hire one, dont you have any friends , I always let my friends help me out.
post #12 of 14
I pet-sit for neighbors and friends. That's why I'm taking care of five cats right now.

Go for the pet-sitter's thread! Hopefully you can find someone near you if there isn't anyone nearby who's that great. Another option would be to get a teenager who's done it before and pay 5-10 a day? Most teens would leap at the chance for a few extra bucks.
post #13 of 14
I used to do in home pet sitting. They should have refrences from clients. I also had insurance. I would go 1-3 times a day depending on what my client wanted or needed. One of my clients I had would hire me to stay all day and night. He had a dog that he didnt want left alone. With cats it was usually once a day unless they were on meds.
post #14 of 14
The first place I'd check is with my vet. Sometimes the techs will do it. They should be very trustworty. Then, I would have whomever I selected over to interview. See how they interact with the cats. Ask if they take special care about escapes. Do they just feed and change litter or do they spend time with the cats? See how their personalities are.

I always like the one who spoke to the cats before they spoke to me. Loads of luck. Bonded and insured is very good.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I have a question...