Help! Pyrometra

poohnpglet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok - last Monday I took in a rescue Mom and her kittens (abt 4-5 weeks old). The last day or so, Mom has been kinda out of sorts. But the main concern was noticing how heavily she was breathing. Even at rest - her sides would be heaving and her whole body would sway with each breath. So, I took her into the vet this morning.

After an examination, the vet said that either she was already pregnant again or she has Pyometra. That seems like a pretty big either/or to me.

Now that being said, I discussed the treatment for the pyometra with the front office lady and there will be no way that I can afford it.

My question is - if that is what it turns out to be - are there any organizations that help with such medical costs?

(I have never wished for a pregnancy so much as right now!)

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh boy, I know that others here will have advice on who might be able to help. I did want to say that if this is pyometra, it is very serious, and it has to be treated or you can lose her.

Have you considered seeing a second vet - was any bloodwork done (such an infection should have impacted her wbc count)? Did they check her for a fever?

I've had two cats with pyometra - open (draining) in both cases. A closed pyometra is more dangerous than open.

Here is a decent article (veterinary) on the topic:
http://francisvet.net/Feline/Pyometra.doc

Please see if you can find a second vet, who might accept a payment plan, she needs very prompt attention if it's pyometra.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The treatment for pyometra is to spay the kitty, I guess that's what they told you at the vet? I know it normally costs more than a typical spay, but maybe you could call around to some clinics and tell them your situation and ask how much the spay would be.

The diagnosis, like you said - is a little vague. I think this would be a time when second opinion would be worth it. Untreated pyometra will be fatal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poohnpglet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, they checked her temp and they said it was 102.4. They kept her to run bloodwork and get x-rays. You would think if it was such an emergency, they would have called by now.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Poohnpglet

Yes, they checked her temp and they said it was 102.4. They kept her to run bloodwork and get x-rays. You would think if it was such an emergency, they would have called by now.
That's a fairly normal temp..yay. Yes, you would..I'd call them.

I'm not exaggerating, the risk is septicemia, which I promise, having seen a patient develop this and crash between or and recovery room, is fast and scary.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I would call back too. Yes, 102.4 is within the normal range. Fever is often listed as a symptom, but is actually only present 20% of the time w/pyometra. I hope that's not what it is.

poohnpglet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Whew! It is not pyometra!

But they also could not tell if she is pregnant either!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, that is fantastic news!
Hope they figure out what is going on.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck! Keep us updated, and I'm sending kitty lots of good healthy get better vibes!

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Great news! I'm very happy for you and her!

If they can't tell if she's pregnant, did they give you any other options on what they might think it is?

(Oh and I see you're in Viera... hi neighbor
)

poohnpglet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

I don't see anyone really answering your main question, and I know time is of the essence. I found this and knowing this website (and itchmo) it should be up to date. I hope it helps, and I do wish this kitty all the best,

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...eterinarybills
Thank you so much for the link. I am hoping this will not be needed.

The big answer is that they do not know for sure what is wrong. They took x-rays and did not see anything that would lead them to pyometra. They also did not see any kittens in there. But they were quick to say that it did not necessarily mean that she was NOT pregnant. Just that nothing was visible on the x-rays. Except they did say that there was quite a bit of food in her stomach and perhaps the distended belly and heavy breathing were because she was eating too much now that food is readily available on a regular basis.

So, they prescribed Science Diet i/d canned food for her to see if that would help. But I am to continue to monitor her over the next few days and if there is no change or she gets worse, bring her back.

poohnpglet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thank you so much for the link. I am hoping this will not be needed.

The big answer is that they do not know for sure what is wrong. They took x-rays and did not see anything that would lead them to pyometra. They also did not see any kittens in there. But they were quick to say that it did not necessarily mean that she was NOT pregnant. Just that nothing was visible on the x-rays. Except they did say that there was quite a bit of food in her stomach and perhaps the distended belly and heavy breathing were because she was eating too much now that food is readily available on a regular basis.

So, they prescribed Science Diet i/d canned food for her to see if that would help. But I am to continue to monitor her over the next few days and if there is no change or she gets worse, bring her back.
Also, she is still breathing very heavy.