Joy! Storms and tornadoes!

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great! Yesterday there were tornadoes and funnel clouds throughout Manitoba and some in Alberta. Today it's supposed to happen again over Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and maybe northwestern Ontario. Today should be interesting... I woke up to thunder at 5 am! Hopefully nothing bad will happen!

Here a picture I grabbed off the Weather Network..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a picture I got from Google News of a tornado in Elie, Manitoba last night.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my God!!! I would freak out and die of a panic attack if I ever saw a funnel cloud!

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

Oh my God!!! I would freak out and die of a panic attack if I ever saw a funnel cloud!
Me too! I really hope Moose Jaw doesn't get hit because we have the fair in town right now, although every fair weekend we get nasty weather. It would be horrible if a tornado hit while people were at the fair.

Here's some more pictures from Elie, Manitoba:

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

Me too...thank GOD we don't get those around here

BUT, we have the worst snow storms

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

Me too! I really hope Moose Jaw doesn't get hit because we have the fair in town right now, although every fair weekend we get nasty weather. It would be horrible if a tornado hit while people were at the fair.
Do you really live in a place called "Moose Jaw"? Great name! Those photos are pretty horrific. I grew up on the U.S. East Coast, where tornadoes are a real rarity, and couldn't understand why my immediate family, after moving to the Midwest, was leaving the TV on all day when somebody was home, until I experienced my first tornado. Yikes!

We're getting some nasty electrical storms and hail in Germany right now, but no tornadoes, thank goodness.

pinkrhinos4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Scarey Stuff... There was a mini tornado in England but I don't think it ever touched down... not sure where abouts...

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yikes. I didn't think those suckers were that common OR big up that far north!! We get them every SOOO often..totally not frequent (if so...they generally are really small and don't cause damage or never touch the ground). But..we get snow, too...totally not like we did in the 70s (love global warming, ey?)....

But now I know why I live here in MI and not in Kansas, Texas, et. Those are near DAILY out there!

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carrie640

Yikes. I didn't think those suckers were that common OR big up that far north!! We get them every SOOO often..totally not frequent (if so...they generally are really small and don't cause damage or never touch the ground). But..we get snow, too...totally not like we did in the 70s (love global warming, ey?)....

But now I know why I live here in MI and not in Kansas, Texas, et. Those are near DAILY out there!
Yeah we don't really get tornadoes around here. I know southern Ontario gets tornadoes quite a bit... does your area of Michigan get bad ones when they do happen?

Originally Posted by PinkRhinos4

Scarey Stuff... There was a mini tornado in England but I don't think it ever touched down... not sure where abouts...
I'd take a funnel cloud over a tornado any day.

Originally Posted by jcat

Do you really live in a place called "Moose Jaw"? Great name! Those photos are pretty horrific. I grew up on the U.S. East Coast, where tornadoes are a real rarity, and couldn't understand why my immediate family, after moving to the Midwest, was leaving the TV on all day when somebody was home, until I experienced my first tornado. Yikes!

We're getting some nasty electrical storms and hail in Germany right now, but no tornadoes, thank goodness.
Yes I do.
We're (sort of) famous for our tunnels and our spa. We leave the TV on the weather station too so we know if something nasty is going to happen.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

Here's a picture I got from Google News of a tornado in Elie, Manitoba last night.

I know that Tornado's bring about death and destruction, but that is a beautiful site, while it's up in the air.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up in Oklahoma and live in North Texas now. Tornados are a fact of life. We don't get them daily, but we do know what to do if there is one in our area. The kids practice tornado drills in school (tuck, duck and cover). Most of the kids can identify wall clouds and know the direction a tornado is most likely to go.

We joke about hearing a tornado warning and grabbing the video camera to take up on the roof. Quite honestly, I have been 2 blocks away from two separate tornados before and had no damage. Straight-line winds have damaged our property however.
Many times.

The National Weather Service Severe Storms lab is based in Norman, Oklahoma. They have the stormchasers who go out and shoot a lot of the video you see on TV. They also help develop the radar that can visualize the storms and is accurate to within a block. The emergency sirens are checked on a weekly basis - unless we are under an alert at that time.

Look up the May 3, 1999 tornado in Moore, Oklahoma. Rated an F5 under the old scale, it caused an unbelievable amount of damage. Several friends were left with the foundations of their homes - and nothing else.