Aristotle! You may not eat the daylily!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our local daylily society is hosting a regional convention this weekend. In every goody bag the attendee received a daylily plant. After we got home last night I began inspecting the contents of my bag (milk chocolate cocoa coated peanuts!
) by taking things out - such as the plant. Ari started chewing on it!

So I put in back into bag and took it into the other room. Ari followed me. When my back was turned he had his head in the bag to get at the plant again! I finally had to place something on top of it.

Apparently, daylilies taste like head lettuce.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh No Aristotle you could get sick
Are all lilly's bad for cats? When
Bella
died friends brought me a lily...when they left I threw it out, I was so worried it could hurt my babies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Parts of the daylily are edible. You can pickle buds or use the petal in a salad or fry them. (Different genus than the madonna lily, easter lily, tiger lily, etc.)

Mom said he also tried to get at hers during the night.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our previous plant eater was Sheba who thought the ponytail palm was mighty tasty.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My boys are bad for getitng at the plants. I've finally managed to keep most of them out of reach, and they seem to accept that.
Out on the balcony, they often attempt to nibble at different plants. I always direct them to their box of grass instead.