Injured Knee badly

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you've read my marketplace post, you will have read that I am dealing with an injury.

I wish I could say I'd already had this looked at and knew what was wrong, but they couldn't see me until next week.

I am really worried...I can't rotate my knee in one direction, and it feels stiff and swollen inside. I can't get into my car because of how I'd have to position the knee, since the last time I tried to force it, I had pain that was an 8 on a scale of 1 to 10, and I have decent pain tolerance.

I hope this will not require any surgery, I hope this will heal completely, I hope it's not as bad as I'm afraid it is.

Pity party out...

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no, you poor thing!!!! I hope you can stay rested over the weekend, make sure you keep it elevated and iced as much as possible. Cancel or reschedule things if needed - they can wait.

Good luck at the doc's next week!

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That sounds pretty bad alright. I'm a physio so if you want any advice to keep you going PM me and let me know a little bit more detail regarding the mechanism of injury etc. But as the above poster said, rest, ice, compression and elevation are very important in the early stages.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if you've torn your meniscus? I did that late last summer, going down the basement stairs. My knee swelled up and it was hard to bend. The pain was excruciating. Most of my pain was on the medial (inside) aspect of my knee, and I did have a torn medial meniscus. I had a knee scope done, and it's fine now. I guess I'm lucky that I work in the O.R., as I know the orthopedic surgeons, so I got right in to be seen and my surgery scheduled within 10 days of the injury. However, those were 10 l-o-n-g days! All I can say is, thank God for ice packs and Vicodin!

I'll bake the cake for the pity party!

Hope you're feeling better soon....hope it doesn't turn out to be something that needs surgery. But if it does, it will be a breeze, and you will feel much better once it's done!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, do you remember falling or something?
I mean...do you remember how it actually happened?

I really hope its nothing serious

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no Pat!

I have arthritis in both of my knees. When I overwork them, there are times that I see stars from the pain (the feeling of a knife going into them). I can't sit in chair more than 15 minutes without discomfort. I so empathize with you right now.

So my advice to you: talk to your doctor about getting an MRI. If it's a torn meniscus, the surgery for that is very easy these days. Find the problem because the treatment will be different depending on what you have. In the mean time, keep your knee elevated and take a lot of Ibupropen (3-4 per dose) or Alieve (2 every 24 hours is better than 2 at first then 1 after 12 hours). They both work better than aspirin for inflamed joints.

And a good glass of wine always helps!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope you are feeling better soon. I found that a combination of ice packs then heat helped my knee when I badly sprained it about a year ago. Also if you a taking pain meds for it make sure that it is ASA or Ibuprofen based not Acetaminophen. The former will take care of swelling and inflammation were as the latter will just relieve the pain but won't help the condition itself.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh that must be so painful. I have a knee that 'locks' sometimes and it is excruciating to unlock it. I do hope you feel better soona nd find out what the trouble is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for all the advice and nice notes

I've been doing some online research (what else would a retired RN do?) but not much else...meaning I'm stubborn and have been slowly trying to do whatever I needed to. It has hit me that I need to be off it, so I do try.

I'm taking aleve as that is what works best for the back pain I get on occasion (I have arthritis and disk issues), but hadn't tried ice.

I can definitiely pinpoint the exact area that is damaged, it is medial, feels like bone on bone if I move it the wrong way, and the knee is buckling...guess I could see a tear doing this.

I don't want surgery...I need to not be completely off my feet 24/7.

I am assist-feeding Tyler 3x a day, and have a 3x a day medication regimen for him, twice a day for Tippy and once a day for Frankie - my 3 kitties with kidney issues. My husband hasn't a clue re the meds, how to feed Tyler etc.

Not to mention packing orders (I don't exactly have all my storage bins labelled...I "know" where everything is, but heaven help my husband if he has to figure this all out to temporarily take over!)

wah. I guess this is the smack upside the head to get me back to my diet...

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope the ice helped and I would keep a pillow under your knee too for support.
But if it doesn't feel any better by Monday I would see a doctor before further damage is done.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I hope the ice helped and I would keep a pillow under your knee too for support.
But if it doesn't feel any better by Monday I would see a doctor before further damage is done.
I have an apt., they couldn't see me last week..just trying not to make it worse before I am seen.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feel for you Pat....
you carry so much responsibility on your shoulders,
you are hurt and on top of that....
you are worried about the care of your kitties and your business.

Modern medicine can do wonders, especially with knees.
I see it all the time here in my senior environment.
Knees, repaired almost better than new.
Don't lose hope.

Lots of healing vibes are on the way.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh... knees are so essential, aren't they? I never realized how much they do for us until one of mine stopped working once. Would a bigtime serious brace of some kind help you keep from reinjuring it until you get to the doctor?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Oh gosh... knees are so essential, aren't they? I never realized how much they do for us until one of mine stopped working once. Would a bigtime serious brace of some kind help you keep from reinjuring it until you get to the doctor?
I don't know..will wait until I see the doctor. Right now it hurts most when getting up out of a chair or if I accidentally start to rotate it a certain way. Now taking aleve twice a day, and really staying off it except for feeding/medicating cats.

Hubby is being a doll. Tomorrow I *have* to pack orders ..just will do it slowly.