Caring after Grade 1 abscess

sooty_94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello

My cat had a grade one abscess removed this week. We were told by the vet that the wound must be kept opened (so it continues to drain) and cleaned as often as necessary. However lately I have noticed her wound has been drying up a bit. I am still getting a tiny bit of blood if I press a little more firmly, but the blood coming out of the wound has decreased a lot since I started. Also, the antibiotics she is taking are giving her runny stools.
I guess this is normal?

Thanks.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet didn't put a drain in?
Antibiotics can and do kill off the normal bacteria in the gut and cause diarrhea. Sometimes a bit of plain yogurt helps decrease the diarrhea. If it gets too bad, call the vet.

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi...welcome to TCS

Sorry to hear about your cat
. I've not had any experience with abscess in a cat (have seen them in people
), but hopefully, someone here will see your post soon. I found this link online that describes the basics of an abscess & basic treatment, but hopefully, your vet went over this with you.
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/bite_wound_abscess.html

P.S. Could you provide details of how your cat got the abscess, the location, and the type of antibiotic? This may helpful to people who read your post & are familiar with the scenario.

In the meanwhile, hang in there

& here are some positive thoughts over your way to help heal your kitty!

mulenag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty had an abscess on his cheek that got dry like you are talking about. My vet suggested putting a warm washcloth on it to open it back up and get it draining again. Otherwise just give your vet a quick call and they can probably help you right over the phone. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sooty_94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

The vet didn't put a drain in?
Antibiotics can and do kill off the normal bacteria in the gut and cause diarrhea. Sometimes a bit of plain yogurt helps decrease the diarrhea. If it gets too bad, call the vet.
The vet did have a drain in (I think) before we picked her up from there. But when we received her she didn't have it in. They just said to keep the wound open + clean & not let it dry up. Thanks for the advice
I might try yoghurt if she seems too uncomfortable.

sooty_94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiskerynature

Hi...welcome to TCS

Sorry to hear about your cat
. I've not had any experience with abscess in a cat (have seen them in people
), but hopefully, someone here will see your post soon. I found this link online that describes the basics of an abscess & basic treatment, but hopefully, your vet went over this with you.
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/bite_wound_abscess.html

P.S. Could you provide details of how your cat got the abscess, the location, and the type of antibiotic? This may helpful to people who read your post & are familiar with the scenario.

In the meanwhile, hang in there

& here are some positive thoughts over your way to help heal your kitty!
Thanks a lot. My cat is very placid now and does not fight, she hides from other cats. The abscess was on top of her head near her right ear. The vet said it was definitely from a cat bite & quite deep unfortunately. The antibiotic is Clavulox, 50mg (twice a day) She seems happier now though, getting used to the horrid Elizabethan collar she has to wear so she can't pull out the stitches! Thanks!

sooty_94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuleNag

My kitty had an abscess on his cheek that got dry like you are talking about. My vet suggested putting a warm washcloth on it to open it back up and get it draining again. Otherwise just give your vet a quick call and they can probably help you right over the phone. Good luck!
Thanks so much for the advice, everyone here is so helpful! I will try a washcloth, that's a good idea

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sooty_94

Thanks so much for the advice, everyone here is so helpful! I will try a washcloth, that's a good idea
If it's a small enough area, consider using sterile gauze squares (from the drugstore) with a bottle of sterile saline wash (again, drugstore)...this way you can dispose and not worry about frequent washing & bacteria. This is how we'd take care of some of the open diabetic ulcers at the hospital. If your vet wants a wet-to-dry dressing: put moist gauze against wound (since your vet wants you to keep the area moist), then a dry one on top...every time you change the gauze, you'll lift the germs away.

I'm not sure about cat's gut bacteria, but it's the acidophilus that helps re-establish normal gut flora in people -- this can be had via yogurt (check label) or acidophilus supplements (to avoid lactose intolerance) -- this can be found at some grocery stores or vitamin shop.

Again, GOOD LUCK!

sooty_94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiskerynature

If it's a small enough area, consider using sterile gauze squares (from the drugstore) with a bottle of sterile saline wash (again, drugstore)...this way you can dispose and not worry about frequent washing & bacteria. This is how we'd take care of some of the open diabetic ulcers at the hospital. If your vet wants a wet-to-dry dressing: put moist gauze against wound (since your vet wants you to keep the area moist), then a dry one on top...every time you change the gauze, you'll lift the germs away.

I'm not sure about cat's gut bacteria, but it's the acidophilus that helps re-establish normal gut flora in people -- this can be had via yogurt (check label) or acidophilus supplements (to avoid lactose intolerance) -- this can be found at some grocery stores or vitamin shop.

Again, GOOD LUCK!
Thanks for the info! You've been very helpful!
If I get too worried, I will try that.
She's a cheeky girl!