cat scooting

2happycats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 1 year old male cat that just loves to scoot. Have had him to the vet and they checked his anal sacs and they were fine -they could find nothing else wrong. Do you think he just like the feel he gets?? Drives me crazy when he does this.

echnsneak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No worms either? The only time I have ever known any of my pets to do that through the years was from that. Easy to treat.

Maybe he is just itching his little kitty bottom

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2happycats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No worms either it does look hilarious when he does it. We affectionately call it Zipps's t-berry shuffle.

whiskerwood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat who scoots all the time!!!

He learned to do it when he was little with worms but he has not had worms in years.
I honestly thinks he likes it!!!
I swear he taught his sisters to do it too!!!!

It is kinda nasty sometimes though...

sooty_94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WhiskerWood

I have a cat who scoots all the time!!!

He learned to do it when he was little with worms but he has not had worms in years.
I honestly thinks he likes it!!!
I swear he taught his sisters to do it too!!!!

It is kinda nasty sometimes though...
Haha cats do have some very funny personalities!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think it is tapeworms. Twice thoroughout the years Leopold did some scooting, anal sacs fine - tapeworms suspected...2 doses of Droncit, no more scooting!

Indoor cats can get worms. To my knowledge, tapeworms usually don't show up in a fecal "float" test. I would just get the meds from the vet and see how he does.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by beandip

I would think it is tapeworms. Twice thoroughout the years Leopold did some scooting, anal sacs fine - tapeworms suspected...2 doses of Droncit, no more scooting!

Indoor cats can get worms. To my knowledge, tapeworms usually don't show up in a fecal "float" test. I would just get the meds from the vet and see how he does.
That's exactly what happened when Oliver had a fecal float test, but I had been noticing these tiny white rice-looking things showing up around where he'd been laying, so I managed to collect a few in a ziplock (yeah, kinda icky sounding, but it wasnt that bad) and I took them in for our visit... the vet said nothing showed in the poo test, but by examining what I'd brought in, she diagnosed the tape worm (said he probably got it from ingesting flea eggs or something somewhere) and gave him the 2 doses - wasn't super expensive either on top of his yearly exam/vaccination bill

So I would keep an eye out for those white things (they're tiny!) if your cat starts scooting more frequently - but I do think they enjoy the scoot! I'm pretty sure Ollie turns into "ScootyButt" (nickname given by my dad - who thinks it's just hilarious) just cuz he's too lazy to lift his leg and lick sometimes... I tell him that God gave him the ability to throw his leg over his head for a reason and to stop scootin! hahaha

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My female girl scoots quite alot. Sometimes she has stuff on her butt she
wants to get off though. I tell her I will hang a tp roll for her if she needs
it. haha. I dont know what it is, her anal glands have gotten clogged up
a couple of times also. Also when I first her as a stray she was full
nasty worms. So maybe just a habit.
She does get UTI's often, does anyone know if scooting on the carpet
could cause bacteria to transfer from her anus to her private parts? I have often wandered.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ms.Blackie

She does get UTI's often, does anyone know if scooting on the carpet
could cause bacteria to transfer from her anus to her private parts? I have often wandered.
Hmm, never thought about it but I would guess that it could be a factor. Seems like she'd be leaving the bacteria from her anus behind her other opening (literally) when she scoots, but the female opening has so little protection from outside bacteria that it does seem very possible.

If her stools are a little loose (or a lot loose), that can play a part for the anal gland issues, the UTIs and the scooting. With a good firm stool there is little chance of leftover yucky "stuff" being back there. The firm stool should also naturally express the glands when she poops. Plus, if she has long hair (I wasn't sure), that will help leave other bacteria behind too, if anything sticks to her...in which case, again a firmer stool will help w/that.

If she's a little on the heavy side, that would encourage the scooting, anal gland issues and the UTI's too...since they can have trouble cleaning their rear end when they are heavy.