Wish me luck (fighting parking ticket)

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you believe it?

The parking meter was stuck, tried to put a quarter in & it got stuck, the FAIL message popped up. So we thought, ok, it's legal to park at a failed meter for under 1 hour. Plus, it ate the quarter already.

We go grab some groceries, out in 30 min, and there's the ticket!
The meter "unfailed" itself!!!!!!!
It showed the Expired Time 00:00!! We checked & the meter was still stuck, not taking quarters..but the FAIL message unflipped or something

Anyways, now I have to fight a $65 ticket, and hope that justice prevails. Wish me luck. There's no way to prove it, really, but if they check the meter today, they'll see that the coins get stuck.
Seeing as it's NYC, I'm doubtful they care about fairness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mybabyphx

Good luck!
Sending you vibes that they are in a good mood, and don't make you pay it! Let us know what happens!
Thanks!
I'm hoping there's a such thing as a DMV/MVA-world-karma: I found someone's driver's license on the ground 2 weeks ago & mailed it back to her, so here's hoping that good karma will help me out here

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Samantha1979

Good luck with that! I would be so angry! When do you go?
Thanks! They classify the defense of "broken meter" as administrative, so I mail it in, and then wait for a decision. If they reject it, then I can submit a request for a hearing, either in person or online. (Hopefully, it won't go that far, but I feel like, if it does, how can I fight it if I don't go in person?)

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiskerynature

Thanks! They classify the defense of "broken meter" as administrative, so I mail it in, and then wait for a decision. If they reject it, then I can submit a request for a hearing, either in person or online. (Hopefully, it won't go that far, but I feel like, if it does, how can I fight it if I don't go in person?)
I wonder if the parking person is going, "hehehe, got another one!" and sits there and messes with the meters... some sort of conspiracy against drivers...

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New York City? Where it's almost impossible to find a parking space? I'll bet there are at least a dozen other people like you who got tickets for that same meter. My guess is they'll waive the fee for you, and for the people who don't fight it they'll accept the money. Good luck!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with that!

Make sure you insist that they check the parking meter out.

Several years ago I went to our main police station to pay parking ticket for someone, and I had put in way more than enough money for the time I would need. While I had to wait and it took some time to get the ticket paid, according to my watch when I left the building I still had almost 30 minutes left in the meter.

Imagine my surprise to get to my car and find a parking ticket on the windshield!!!! OMG!!!! I was absolutely livid!

I fought it and won, but it took some time. I insisted that they check the meter because I knew I had put in money for a certain period of time and it ran out way faster than it should have. They checked the meter and sure enough it was "running hot" and expiring before the actual amount of time input into it.

I felt so vindicated!

I hope you have the same success