Trying a Dyson

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Notice I said "trying" not "buying," at least for now. My brother and SIL recently bought a Dyson All Floors and absolutely love it. They have a golden retriever who sheds a bit and it's awesome for picking up dog hair.

I'm going to borrow their Dyson tonight to see how it does on my carpet. Have to admit, after all the excitement from other members who have Dyson's I'm really anxious to give it a try. I currently have an Oreck that I bought a year ago and it does an awesome job, but I can't wait to see how the Dyson compares.

Is it crazy to be so excited about vacuming?
I've been looking forward to this all week. Will let you guys know how it goes.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will there be PHOTOS?

::: in a sing-song voice ::: You're gonna love it...you're gonna love it...you're gonna WANT ONE!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are going to want to buy one. I love mine. My floors seem clean longer after I have vacuumed.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooohh, have fun 'trying' one! I saw one in the store yesterday shopping & I stood there & drooled over it for awhile

They are $529.00 in the stores!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, it's official. I want a Dyson! You guys should have seen all the dirt and hair that it sucked out my carpet.
Wish I would have had my camera at home to show you the proof. Granted, it's been a week since I've vacumed (I normally vacum twice a week, but have been away dogsitting) and the kitties probably did some partying while I've been gone
, but the carpet actually looked pretty clean before I started. Honestly, I'm amazed and a little grossed out at all the Dyson picked up. My Oreck does a great job, but I can't believe it's picking up as much as the Dyson did. Time to start saving my money. I don't just want a Dyson. Now I feel like I need one!

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

Well, it's official. I want a Dyson! You guys should have seen all the dirt and hair that it sucked out my carpet.
Wish I would have had my camera at home to show you the proof. Granted, it's been a week since I've vacumed (I normally vacum twice a week, but have been away dogsitting) and the kitties probably did some partying while I've been gone
, but the carpet actually looked pretty clean before I started. Honestly, I'm amazed and a little grossed out at all the Dyson picked up. My Oreck does a great job, but I can't believe it's picking up as much as the Dyson did. Time to start saving my money. I don't just want a Dyson. Now I feel like I need one!
I just got the DC-14 Animal Eileen and I actually could have made a couple of cats with the hair just from my Bedroom and there's only Cammie in there

I looked and looked before I bought mine and I mean for months.. There is not a lot of give on the prices though. This is where I got mine http://www.vacuum-direct.com/ It had everything with it, I paid no tax no shipping and I had it in 4 days. I paid $451.00 total witch I think was a good deal..
And I did it all online
They do have them on E-bay but I didn't want to invest in a reburbished and it wasn't that much cheaper anyway..

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OKay, now I am starting to get jealous...but there is no WAY I am spending that much on a vacuum!!

Well, not until I meet Mr.Right (who has money
)

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I'm the only one that doesn't like them.I had one, bits fell off, the filters kept clogging up, it was impossible to clean the stairs with it, the angle to use it was wrong and made my back ache, I wouldn't have another one as a gift, I gave it away (to some-one I don't like
)

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anakat

I guess I'm the only one that doesn't like them.I had one, bits fell off, the filters kept clogging up, it was impossible to clean the stairs with it, the angle to use it was wrong and made my back ache, I wouldn't have another one as a gift, I gave it away (to some-one I don't like
)
Anne don't tell me that
Maybe you got a lemon

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
One of my vacuums is about to give up the ghost (I have three, one for the downstairs, one for the upstairs [the one that's about to go to vacuum cleaner heaven], and an indoor/outdoor one for the cellar and attic). I love my mom's Dyson, and can get the canister type here (which I prefer, due to our furniture being "raised"), but I wonder if it would be worthwhile for me? We have a handmade Oriental carpet in the living room, and threads get pulled out if I use the highest setting on my current downstairs vacuum cleaner, which is a German "Miele", especially designed for pet owners. Otherwise we have bare floors: tile, parquet, or laminate.

What do you all think? I actually asked my doctor (I have a cat hair allergy, which sometimes triggers asthma attacks, and hay fever), and he thinks I should stick to vacuums with bags and at least two filters.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does anyone else get zapped from their Dyson? When I hold the handle, part of my hand rests on the little flip top bit where the solid hose comes out (you may need to look at it to figure out what I'm talking about....

Anyway, so that spot there give my hand little electric shock when I'm vacuuming. I have no idea why.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't had that problem - check the wiring on your Dyson to be sure.

fiftyfour

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've wanted to try a Dyson too, but they're so expensive!

I have a Kenmore one that works OK. Maybe in a year or so when I am looking to get another one, I will get a Dyson!

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

One of my vacuums is about to give up the ghost (I have three, one for the downstairs, one for the upstairs [the one that's about to go to vacuum cleaner heaven], and an indoor/outdoor one for the cellar and attic). I love my mom's Dyson, and can get the canister type here (which I prefer, due to our furniture being "raised"), but I wonder if it would be worthwhile for me? We have a handmade Oriental carpet in the living room, and threads get pulled out if I use the highest setting on my current downstairs vacuum cleaner, which is a German "Miele", especially designed for pet owners. Otherwise we have bare floors: tile, parquet, or laminate.

What do you all think? I actually asked my doctor (I have a cat hair allergy, which sometimes triggers asthma attacks, and hay fever), and he thinks I should stick to vacuums with bags and at least two filters.
I would be just a little worried about using a dyson on your handmade rugs. The suction on these vacuum is incredibly strong.

As for the doctor comments on sticking with a bag vacuum, I think that's bull. I have no dust, no hair flying around when I vacuum or empty my dyson. Nothing comes out of my Dyson cannister unlike my other bag vacuum where you always see just a fine layer of dust.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

As for the doctor comments on sticking with a bag vacuum, I think that's bull. I have no dust, no hair flying around when I vacuum or empty my dyson. Nothing comes out of my Dyson cannister unlike my other bag vacuum where you always see just a fine layer of dust.
I just bought the purple Dyson Animal (DC17).
I love my Animal.

I have allergies and believed the flak about bags vs non bags so I first bought a bagged Hoover Self Propelled vacuum.
I needed a vacuum that was easy to push.
Because I have a thick new carpet that is putting off a lot of new carpet fuzz, the Hoover plugged then broke within 10 minutes.

I returned it....
went to Sears where I know the sales ladies know vacuums.

After discussing my needs, we settled on the DC 17 Animal.
It is truly wonderful.
Easy to push...
It withstands the rigors of my new carpet
and
the brush turns off at the push of a button so that I can vacuum up scattered cat litter with no problem.
It even has a 5 year warranty now.

I was a hesitant Dyson buyer...
now I am sold.
If you can Eileen...
get a Dyson.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got the refab DC 14 on eBay, free shipping, total with the extended 2 year warranty was $403. Goes for $559 retail.

No problems at all, after downloading the owners manual. Dyson sent me a replacement crevace tool for free to replace the one I was sent because it didn't stay on the housing.

To vac stairs with it, the base stays at the bottom, and the DC 14 has a REALLY long hose that you use to do the stairs with the wand attachment.

I'm in love with it, giving my old Sears model away through Freecycle.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I almost hate to bring this up. I went online to look at the Consumer Report's ratings on vacuum cleaners to see how good the Dyson really is. I was absolutely amazed when I read that the new Sears model is rated a lot better at picking up pet hair and it's about half the price.

I tried my sister's Dyson while in Chicago last week then came home and bought the Sears model. It is absolutely wonderful! Easier to maneuver, picks up hair more easily and works very well on bare floors. I even vacuumed first with my high-end Simplicity and got loads of stuff out of the already vacuumed carpet with the Sears.

It's a Kenmore Progressive direct drive (no belts) and bagless in case anyone is interested.