Raw question

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all

I took Kirby in to the vet yesterday because he seemed to be drinking alot.
He has a UTI so we are treating that...BUT the vet says he needs his teeth cleaned. I figured as much.
I've given my kitties raw in the past and was wondering if I started Kirby back up religiously on some meaty bones, would it help his teeth OR should I do the dental first?

Thanks!
Terri

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Raw is great for teeth but a few >????s

how old is the kitty ??

How bad are the teeth??

Is this vet one to recommend you do things when it may not be nessary at the pt??

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nya (my senior girl) had terrible teeth when I got her, and lots of raw chewies didn't seem to help, so I had a dental done last year, and am using her raw bones more for maintenance.

It really depends on the situation, and the answers to the questions Sharky asked

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Raw is great for teeth but a few >????s

how old is the kitty ??

How bad are the teeth??

Is this vet one to recommend you do things when it may not be nessary at the pt??
He's about 10 I'm guessing. The gums are receeding (gingivitis) and of course plaque. I'm sure he really does need it. I worry about putting him under at his age. I always worry about everything though.

Vanillasugar, How long did your kitty chew on the bones before you decided it wasn't working?

Lucky for me, he is the one cat that lays his head on the meaty bone and really works the rear teeth. I'm not sure he chews on the hard bone though.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Putting under at ten without other issues( ie kidney ) shouldnt be bad.. BUT GET a SENIOR BLOOD PANEL Prior to ...One it may show a early issue that can be treated and two if something is going on a different anestitic can be used...

True story...

One vet told me my slightly senior dog NEEDED a dental badly... 2nd vet said she had the best teeth shed sen in a while ..

So if u can please get a second check

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tia2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I definitely will! I was hoping he would have drawn blood on Thursday, but for some reason we got a different vet and not my regular one and my daughter was the one that actually took him in.
I'm going to pick up some wings tomorrow anyhow and schedule a recheck appt in about 2 weeks. I'll ask for a blood panel then.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah if your kitty has gingivitus chewing on anything won't help... the most you could do without sedating the cat would be to buy a dental tool thingy and hand scale the teeth yourself, and I don't know any cat who would sit for that! [Or at least a cat who would not move long enough so you wouldn't nail the gumline or something!]

Anyway make sure that they hook your kitty up to EKG and oxygen monitor during the prophy and your kitty should be fine. If the blood results are normal you can pretty much bet everything will go smoothly. After your cat gets his teeth cleaned then you should be able to maintain it with the bones for him to munch, and brushing if he'll let you