Peterbald Slide Show

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful cats! I am at work so didn't turn the volume on, but I am amazed at the variety of colors - even that tiger stripe! I just love your sweet kittens!
Thank you for sharing with us!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lnbandcats

Beautiful cats! I am at work so didn't turn the volume on, but I am amazed at the variety of colors - even that tiger stripe! I just love your sweet kittens!
Thank you for sharing with us!
THANKS! I am a proud Papa.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never cared a lot for the look of the Spynx but there is something different about the look of these cats. I like the look of these cats better. I admit though I still have a preference for the kitten with the short hair. I realize though that having a coat probably automatically makes him pet rather than show quality.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

I've never cared a lot for the look of the Spynx but there is something different about the look of these cats. I like the look of these cats better. I admit though I still have a preference for the kitten with the short hair. I realize though that having a coat probably automatically makes him pet rather than show quality.
There are several coat varieties in the Peterbald. Hairless, suede, and fur point are ones that can be shown to championship. Brush coats (wiry coat) can be shown up through the kitten class. The reason for this is that Peterbalds lose hair as they age. You can have a brush coat kitten that is hairless by the time they are a year old (sometimes takes as long as 2 years). This is opposite for the Sphynx, which tends to gain hair.

Many people don't like the look of a hairless cat, but it is mostly the initial shock. Once they pet one, that changes immediately. Plus, the personality is REALLY different than other cats. No one really understands this until they are around them. I think it is hard for people to understand, because so many breeds are described as "dog like" or "people focused" or "energetic". The Peterbald takes that to a new level. These cats are totally interactive on a full time basis with humans. Again, so many breeds state this, but until you are a round a Peterbald, there is no way to really describe it.

The difference in look between the Peterbald and Sphynx is pretty clear. The Peterbald is longer, more refined, lithe, and elegant. I always describe it as the Sphynx is the "cute one" and the Peterblad is the "elegant one". I love the Sphynx, but the Peterbald stole my heart.

The first Peterbald in the U.S. still lives with me and is just as beautiful as ever.