Ok, I feel strange asking this but I need female input.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I'll be honest. In the last 4 yrs my body has doubled in size from a size 6 to a size 12. A lot of it has to do with taking care of my mom for 14 months (I'm a stress eater) and now having a job in a call center where I sit for 8 hours. I'm 37 so I know my metabolism has slowed and I need to be more active. I'm working on that.

The problem is, it's hard for me to get "in the mood". I know a size 12 isn't bad, it's actually normal or close to it. But, I just don't feel sexy, you know? DH thinks I'm the best thing since sliced bread, but I just don't see it. We dated back when I could get into size 6, and I just feel like he is always comparing that to this. Not that he has said anything like that, this is my own insecurity.

My question is....has anyone ever felt like this? And, how did you overcome it? I've been working on getting my weight down, have been watching what I eat and walking alot. I can't run because of bad knees. And, I really don't think it's my weight, because even when I wore a size 6 I still felt I was fat. I have a belly that won't go away no matter how many situps I do. I think I read comso too much as a teenager.
I'm never going to look like Elle McPherson, but I just want to be happy with the body I have.

Sorry to burden you guys but you are cheaper than therapy!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i know am not female, so you can take this for whats it worth

sounds more like you are under to stress, and that can really put a hold on things in that deparment. maybe if you can some time for yourself, a trip to get the hair done a little spa trement mabye.along with some some new colthes? there is no reason to feel you need to compare yourself to any of the models most of them if you see in the real would , you would want to go feed them.

but really wanted to say is ou dont need to run, or lift weights, take the dogs for walks, i managed to lose most of the weight i had by swimming. which will take the stress of the knees..

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is easy for others to say "love your body!" But not so easy to actually do it. Could you take yoga or some type of slower stretching class? That way you feel each part of your body and perhaps learn to appreciate how it all works together. Something along those lines where you can relax mindfully.

(I have not done this, just always wanted to. My sister does yoga. She is much happier in her skin than I am in mine.)

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's important to stay fit and eat healthy, but the only way to be happy with the body you have is to adjust your attitude. Who you are is the sum of many factors, only one of which is your physical looks (and that's probably the least important one). Try to see yourself through your husband's eyes, and through others who love you.

Physical beauty does not last. Old age sees to that, if nothing happens before then. Having self-worth based on good looks is going to be very disappointing some day. (I'm not implying you do that.) Whenever you are thinking you don't look good, stop and think of something positive about yourself instead. You can train yourself to accept yourself.

Oh, and even if you aren't in the mood very much, remember that men express their love for their women physically, and it's awful to deny that. Go along with it when he wants and you might find yourself enjoying things more than you thought. But do let him show you he loves you.

Hope this helps.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First off, I am not a shrink and I don't even play one on TV

But I will play Lucy, from the Peanuts and not even charge you 5 cents.

Seriously, I don't think it is your weight that is the problem I think it is the stress.

Stress messes with our hormones, immune system and metabolism. When we are too stressed our bodies go into survival mode, which is a complex combination of things, including metabolism changes and loss of sex drive.

Find ways to reduce your stress. Do you have caregiver relief for your mom? There are usually special programs for this. It is pretty much universally recognized these days that being a long term caregiver is one of the most stressful things there is.

Get out of the house and do something new that you have always wanted to try. . Learn yoga, or go to a book club, something that will let you focus on doing something to please yourself only. DONT make this exercise if you really don't enjoy exercise. This needs to be something that you find interesting.

As an example my sweet, shy, let herself be used as a doormat sister took up kickboxing. She is absolutely the last person in the world anyone would think of to try kickboxing. To everyones amazement she became a double black belt in under a year. The overall change in her was amazing by doing this one empowering thing for herself. Her weight changed, her skin changed, her confidence grew, she actually went in and demanded a raise and got it. Everything about her changed for the better. She was in her mid thirties at the time, and it was like she just finally really found herself.

Make sure you are getting good sleep.

I would be remiss if I didn't say see a physician you trust for a full "work-up" if you haven't had one in awhile. There are actually quite a few medical reasons for the way you are feeling and at 37 you may be experiencing some peri-menopausal stuff which never helps anything. Get your basic blood chemistries checked and make sure they check your thyroid function, T4 and TSH. (they are going to tell you, this isn't necessary you tell them right back you want it and stand your ground). I said a physician you trust, because there are some really bad ones out there and they will make you feel worse not better. If you can, see a good internal medicine doctor that is interested in women's health.

Recognise the subtle signs of secondary depression (once again common in long term caregivers) and speak to the doctor about treatment if you think this might apply to you.

I have gone through this cycle a few times since becoming chronically ill. Thankfullly I don't have a significant other to complicate the issue. Make sure you talk and share with DH, let him know that right now you are not feeling good about yourself and are trying to figure out just what it is. Let him know it isn't him, but you really need his support. If you are not in the mood he needs to be able to accept that sometimes. (not saying he doesn't, but just in case). keeping the lines of communication open and clear between each other is going to be really important.

I know I have hit on everything under the sun and none of it specific. Hopefully something I have said will make something click inside you and get you looking down a track you haven't explored before.

I am really sorry you are dealing with this, I know it isn't a nice place to be emotionally.

ETA: Sheesh I am such a blabber mouth three other people posted in the time I did.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use to be a size 4 when my hubby and I got together.Boy, has that changed.
I will not say my current size, but let's say it ALOT bigger than that.
I often ask DH why he finds me attractive also.His answer is "dear I love you for who you are, not what you look like.And besides, I think you are beautiful no matter what you look like".
I have to stop and think like this,I am this size for some reason.I have tried to change it and can't.If he doesn't love me for ME, then he can leave.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good grief! What a sad society we live in when people feel that a size 12 is "fat"!

Chances are when you were a size six you probably too skinny.

You are the same warm and caring person inside that your husband fell in love with. Looks fade and change as we age, and we all sag and droop eventually, and we all get wrinkles and grey hair too. The inside of us never changes. It's concrete and the essence of who we really are.

You are as sexy as you think you are. If you don't feel good about yourself then it's going to project and that's what people will pick up on.

Be yourself, be happy with who you are, regardless of what size dress you wear. Think sexy! And you will be!

I'll bet your husband isn't exactly the same as he was when you met and dated and married him.

Men don't worry about stuff like that, I can't figure out why so many women do.

angi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In the process of moving from So. CA to So. WI!!
I know how you're feeling. I'm bigger than you (not saying my size though!
) You just have to know that your man loves you for who you are, not your size. Sure, it's nice to feel good about yourself, being thinner, but you have to love yourself being bigger too. Just because you're heavier than you'd like to be, doesn't necessarily make you a less attractive person.

Best wishes to you, get that self esteem up!

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh boy do I know how you feel. When my DH and I first met I was a size 8, not small but still looking/ good. During the first years of our reltionship I balooned up to a size 16. So yea I too doubled in size. I, in no way felt sexy. I knew I was fat. The worst day for me was when I went to buy pants and had to go into the 16W section.

When it came time for, um, mariatal rlations, I did NOT feel sexy. The only thing that worked for me was talking with my DH about it. I had to sit him down and look him stright in the eye and tell im how I felt. He at first did the "I love you no matter how you look" speel. I told him that was not what I wanted to hear, I knew he loved me, he was still attracted to me and wante to be with me. I told him that because we had been together so long, it had become standard. He never did anything to show me that I was still sexy. He suggested that I go to the spa and get the full treatment and then we would go and find me something that Ifelt sexy in. It took tears and me telling him I basicly hated myself and did not realy even want to be physical because I felt this way He listened. After that he started to pay more attention to me. Little things like just makeing out like school kids on the couch or him grabbing me in the kitchen did alot. He just needed to know that I needed the reasurance. He fiqured because we had been together that all he had to do was "it" and I would know he loved me because he was still getting it with me and not somewhere else. He had no idea how I was feeling or that I need him to show me. The worst part of it was it got to the point where I was afraid he would try to make a move on me and when he did all I wanted was for it ot be over.

I don't know if this helps or not, I know its rambleing but read between the lines. Open communication is key. He may have no idea how you feel. talk to him. Most men are willing to listen and try if it means they will get "lucky". Even if its just with there wife. I also know you have other stresses in your life but a healthy marital life eill give you a chance to just be you.

I normally would not suggest this but anouther thing that worked for us, now I am not condoning this but it works. I have recomended it to a few coworkers who were having issues, and it has worked for them.. Go get yourselves a few bottles of your favorite champaigne, lock the doors, send the kids away, hire someone to care for your mom and just be with eachother. Be naked as much as you can. Get to "know" each other again. Alchohol lowers inhabithions and may make it easier to talk and share. Do it under candle light, its much more flattering. I bet after a few hours you both will be talking and may realize that you both have the same types of insecurities.

PM me if you need to. I have been right were you are and know how to get through it.

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well.. I don't have much to add here, but I just want to let you know skinny does NOT equal pretty. You probably already "know" it, but it's important to get that out of your brain and into your heart. I know so many truly stunning women who are twice my size, and they will always be more beautiful than me, on the outside and probably the inside as well.

I'm a little bit insecure about my weight.. but after I gained several pounds a few years ago (I was almost anorexically skinny no matter how much I ate) it's taken me some adjusting to get used to it. Not because I look "fat" just because I look different. I'm finding lately that I really like how I look. For me it just took a very long adjustment period, and I've gotten used to it.

My suggestion to you is to look at your body and find the beauty there. The sharp angles of fingers and wristbones, the curve of your calves and the arch of your feet, the color of your eyes or hair.. find the beauty there and enjoy it. There is always something you can enjoy looking at, and the more you look at it the more you will love yourself. You are beautiful--I believe everyone is. The key is finding it.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, hun
I think stress is your major problem here, as someone mentioned that will mess with your mind, libido and weight. All those stress hormones telling your body to keep on the pounds and don't waste energy on you-know-what because the hard times are coming...eat eat eat so we can get on with the migration and such
Add in a bit of depression and maybe some pre-existing body issues and that's a recipe for weight gain.

The sucker punch comes from having a call center job. I gained 50 lbs working in a call center. You're paid to sit on your butt, and where I worked they put out tables of food to keep us from going too far from the phones.

The thing is you have to really look at these things and recognize them for what they are. They suck, they make it difficult, but they don't make you less of a person. You already know you're a stress eater (I am too) a really important step is to learn to stop and recognize when you're eating out of habit. I'm reading a pretty good book right now called "The Beck Diet Solution" which talks about recognizing the behaviors and rewarding yourself appropriately.

As far as the weight goes, in many cases women are more interested in skinny than men are. A man who loves you, loves you, not your dress size. A loving man doesn't compare you to size 6 you. In fact, he may even find your curvy self more appealing. I wouldn't worry about him, he sounds like a keeper.

Wow. I'm wordy too...long story short, been there, done that. The key to this is you learning to love and understand yourself.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just turned 40, and quit smoking almost 4 years ago, just when my metabolism was slowing down naturally.

I went from a size 4/5/6 to a size 14 in three years, and am now steady at about 160 pounds. I'm only 5'2" and it definitely shows, although LOTS of people tell me I look healthier now.

I also know that I CAN lose weight if I want to, but to do so, I MUST exercise. I'm not motivated to do that at the moment, so plump and voluptuous I stay.

In the meantime, I look at it this way:

I ACCEPT and LOVE the me that I am today. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff, and based on my life experiences, I'm just going to enjoy myself, not restrict my diet, not GO on a diet. Instead, I just try to eat a little healthier and enjoy every day for what it is.

Last July one of my best friends was complaining about her gut being too big and getting in her way, the next day she was dead, killed in an accident.

So I try to focus on that which is TRULY important, like loving those who love me as best as I can, and letting the superficial stuff stay superficial.

For a little while, yes, I was depressed to see the changes in my body - I used to be a hottie! But it is what it is, and I'm only going to get older, grayer and saggier, so WHY WORRY! Go get a new tattoo instead!

That's how I deal with my 40+ pounds weight gain. Acceptance. I hope you are able to embrace yourself and love yourself no matter what weight you are at.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a 49 y/o size 16 and I'm NEVER going to be "skinny". My weight is within normal limits but, the sand in my formerly hourglass figure has shifted to my middle.

In your case, the stress is part of the problem. Stress causes your body to release cortisol (stress hormone) and that causes belly fat. I no longer have much stress but I DO have a sedentary job (call center) and an addiction to chocolate. I've started doing crunches and I hope this is going to do the trick.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went from a 10 to a 22, and am now down to a 12/14, but still have a ways to go (Size 10 would still be too "large" for my frame). Through it all, J never once stopped finding me attractive, which says a lot more about him than it does about me.

I do a few things to keep myself "feeling" attractive and to put myself in the mood. First off, I tell myself that I am sexy and attractive and smokin' hot. Whether or not it's actually physically true is irrelevant; I find, in a lot of cases, that if you behave as though you think you're hot, people will treat you like you're hot -- and you'll start to believe it yourself.

Another thing I do is to find music that empowers me. It doesn't matter what the song is, so long as listening to it, singing along to it, and dancing to it makes me feel sexy, attractive and powerful. Good examples for songs that empower me are Christina Aguilera's "Fighter" and, for some reason, Fall Out Boy's "This Ain't A Scene ..." *shrug* Dancing and singing are two things that make me feel good, about myself and about my body (even though I'm not particularly good at dancing or singing -- I just enjoy doing it), and feeling good about myself translates into me feeling "in the mood."

Finally, sometimes when I'm not feeling sexy or at all interested in being intimate with my partner, I'll do it anyway. Studies suggest that the more frequently you do it, the more frequently you'll want to do it. I'm not saying get it on when you feel sick or in pain, but if you're just feeling apathetic about it, give it a try because that might be all the boost you need. Sometime it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it can't hurt to try!

*takes off Dr. Ruth hat and resumes her work day*

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't really add tot he excellent advice everyone haas given you except to say you will always be harder on yourself then anyone else. Try to give yourself a break and that will help reduce your stress. I have always been "plus sized". I am not happy to be large and I am slowly trying to work on it, but while I am not happy about my size I am still happy to be me! Find the things in your life that make you happy and focus on them - it does help.

Good luck and

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys, you have no idea how much you helped. I really felt stupid after I posted this last night, but I just needed to talk and get other opinions and suggestions. It helps to know I'm not the only one who has ever felt this way.

A little background, I'm not taking care of my mom any longer, she passed away in 2004, but that is what started the downward spiral. So, yeah, alot of it is stress (I'm still trying to settle her estate) and maybe a bit of depression. But, I know what I need to do is work on my own self esteem. Easier said than done, but I'm going to try. Probably getting a check up and having blood work done is a good idea too, just to make sure it's not something else.

There were too many good, helpful posts to quote them all, but again thank you!

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know what you are going through. When I got pregnant with my first child i weighed 94 pounds after she was born I was able to get bak to 98. Then i had my 2nd and was only able to get back to 115 before getting pregnant again. my weight stayed bout 120 for a while.

Well the past 2 years it got up to 140. Right now I got it down to 130. I know its a good weight but. Growing up all I heard from people was how skinny I was and they wished they were. So when they quit saying that it makes me feel fat. Now I hide my body when I used to be able to show it off.

I know its hard seems like the worlds focus is wieght. My daughter is 11 and thinks she is fat. I know she isnt but then look we do the same thing.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweetie-love yourself! I know exactly what your going thru....I was a size 7/8 when DH and I met and well, not anymore am I that small
I am about to turn 30(in July) and I have realized that my metabolism is not the same as it was back then! As long as he keeps loving me, for ME..thats all that matters!
He tells me all the time he loves me and how "sexy" I am.

You have been given some excellent advice so far from everyone....

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to add that birth control also can kill sex drive. My husband and I have decided for him to have a vasectomy so that I can get off birth control. I am hoping that this will help for us. I was size 3 when we got married and I am now a size 14! I also had surgery 3 times in the last 2 years and now have a permanent ileostomy. Try feeling sexy being fat and having a poop bag on your stomach. Sorry if it is to much info but I also am having a hard time in this same area and it really does depress me to the point of crying.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband and I were married for 12 years, I got a rare illness, the medication made me gain weight rapidly. forty-five pounds in two weeks, I was on this medication for 2 years, I wanted to crawl in a hole and die, I didn't want him to touch me, he loved me anyway, we started taking short walks, just holding hands and talking, just being together, the desire came back. I am still over weight, I lost some of it, we will be married 27 years in a few weeks, and we still desire each other, my advice is take some time just for the two of you, to relax and enjoy each other,