Keep them?

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok a couple days ago I got a call from the rescue cordinator in the rescue I foster for. She asked me if I was willing to keep Skye and Calamity on a permanent basis so that they could use them as foster moms for orphaned kittens. I told her immediatly that I would love to keep them but I couldnt afford to. She said that they would technically be still considered fosters and they would take care of food, litter and vet bills still. Ive been thinking about it ever since. I was wondering what your opinions are? Is it right to keep them but not adopt them? I love the both to death but Im not sure if its right to make the rescue continue to pay for everything and I cant afford to adopt them. What do you guys think?

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that if you, Skye and Calamity are providing services (love and socializatipn) to the rescue, then it is okay. I know it is difficult to accept help sometimes but just think of all the good you three could do together. It sounds like a good match all the way around.

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I say keep em. Your helping the rescue and Skye and Calamity...Its a good thing , plus they asked you.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are they going to be foster mom's to orphaned kitties if they don't have any milk? Are they talking about nursing, or just teaching them the tricks of being a cat? Maybe I'm confused
but it wouldn't be the first time!

Either way, if they are willing to consider them permanant foster cats, let them. You love them anyway, so I would keep them. Later on down the road if you want to officially adopt them when you can afford it you can make it official.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure of the specifics on why you can't adopt them, so I don't know if my suggestion would work for you. What if you worked towards affording the kitties, and told the rescue that you would eventually like to fully adopt them and pay for their costs, but you need time to work out your budget and save up some money.

Tricia

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

How are they going to be foster mom's to orphaned kitties if they don't have any milk? Are they talking about nursing, or just teaching them the tricks of being a cat? Maybe I'm confused
but it wouldn't be the first time!
Calamity does still have milk. Shes currently still nursing her two 10 week old kittens and three 6 week old foster kittens. They said as long as she has babies nursing she should continue to produce milk.

Skye they are talking more about teaching them how to be cats. She doesnt have milk but will let any cat nurse on her. I was watching a friends 6 month old kitten that is twice her size and she even let him nurse on her! Shes very easy going, motherly and just loves any kitten that comes along.

Both are very good moms in different ways Calamity more protective/ Skye more playful. You get the picture. Both of them are already fixed so its basically I guess their personality is what they think will be good for kittens. I also think they dont think they can find a home for Calamity shes very picky about who she likes and she growled the first 2 1/2 weeks she was here. Most people wont put up with that. I pretty much just ignored the fact that she was growling and kept petting her. She is now sweet to me but hates everyone else. Skye has turned into my baby and Im always talking about how I wish I coul keep her. I think they want me to keep her because we are a good fit. But I could be wrong.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Green Bunny

I'm not sure of the specifics on why you can't adopt them, so I don't know if my suggestion would work for you. What if you worked towards affording the kitties, and told the rescue that you would eventually like to fully adopt them and pay for their costs, but you need time to work out your budget and save up some money.

Tricia
I have thought about this. But Im not sure if Ill ever be able to do that. Im 20 divorced and have a 3 month old little girl. I dont make very much money (work at a petstore
) and there are no jobs around here. I live in the middle of no where and unless I moved into a bigger town (which I cant afford) I wont be able to get a better job.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fostermomm

Calamity does still have milk. Shes currently still nursing her two 10 week old kittens and three 6 week old foster kittens. They said as long as she has babies nursing she should continue to produce milk.
It sounds logical enough. I know I once saw a documentary about a mom who was still breastfeeding her 8 year old son. Since she never stopped breastfeeding, she still produced milk.

And while I was searching for info on that documentary, I came across this video of a mom who breastfed one daughter until she was 5 and the other is now almost 8 and still doing it.

So I guess it is possible. Hope it works out for you!

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is a great idea. These momma's have a very low chance of finding a long term home. By their very personalities they will however help to make well socialized kittens out of orphans, there by increasing the kittens adoption chances.

You obviously are a very good caregiver. If the rescue is willing to pay for their care, then you should take this opportunity if you really want it. It does the rescue a service, Calamity and Skye get a great loving home, and you get the benefits of having loving purring kitties which are proven to be beneficial to our health.

I think all around it is a win/win situation.

If the only reason you are thinking about not doing it, is because of the fact the rescue would be providing the monetary means for care...please let that fall away. If you have other concerns the those need to be looked at.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

It sounds logical enough. I know I once saw a documentary about a mom who was still breastfeeding her 8 year old son. Since she never stopped breastfeeding, she still produced milk.

And while I was searching for info on that documentary, I came across this video of a mom who breastfed one daughter until she was 5 and the other is now almost 8 and still doing it.

So I guess it is possible. Hope it works out for you!
Off topic here, but ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I say that you look at it from all angles and go with what you feel is best.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing that puzzles me is why the rescue would want to keep two adults on permanent foster, unless there is another reason why these two couldn't go on to find a good home?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it comes down to how you feel, if you can provide till you find and/or agree with a new home for them. No matter what anyone says, you already have a tremendous love for them, so don't fight it, just help the pursuit of a loving home for them that you approve of as well!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think a perm foster situation would provide some stability for both you and them and they sound like they would be a good influence on any new kittens you continue to foster. Plus you love them!

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

The only thing that puzzles me is why the rescue would want to keep two adults on permanent foster, unless there is another reason why these two couldn't go on to find a good home?
Well Calamity really isnt that adoptable. But they dont want to overwhelm either one of them with to many kittens. So they want each to have 5 at a time.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

I think it comes down to how you feel, if you can provide till you find and/or agree with a new home for them. No matter what anyone says, you already have a tremendous love for them, so don't fight it, just help the pursuit of a loving home for them that you approve of as well!
totally agree!!!

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see anything wrong with you keeping them on a permanent level. You are doing the cats a favor, and the shelter a favor. I wouldn't feel bad that they are paying for the supplies, because your giving back to them- just in a different way! It will be good for everyone this way! You go for it!

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would go for it the only thing I am wondering about is...

How healthy is it for a cat to be nursing long? I dont know. I am thinking though with good food and nutrition it helps.

Since there would still be considered fosters could they come in at any time and change there mind about taking care of the medical cost if something comes up?

Those are the 2 things that I would worry about.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by april31

I would go for it the only thing I am wondering about is...

How healthy is it for a cat to be nursing long? I dont know. I am thinking though with good food and nutrition it helps.

Since there would still be considered fosters could they come in at any time and change there mind about taking care of the medical cost if something comes up?

Those are the 2 things that I would worry about.
Calamity doesnt have any health issues, Shes nice and plump and shes been nursing for 10 weeks. Shes never had any weight issues and is perfectly healthy. They wouldnt change their mind about paying for their bills. I trust them.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heck, I would do it. I'm in the same boat as you though. No way could I afford two more vet bills!!! If they suggested it I would go for it! You get to keep the kitties and they are still considered fostered!

jujubee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fostermomm brought up a good point. How long is it good for a cat to foster nurse??
On the other hand, you are providing a service for which you are being reimbursed for (with pet supplies etc).