Could I get some help from our wonderful British membership?!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, I'm writing some short stories for this thing that I'm doing (don't ask, it's a crazy artist thing) and was asked to write something that takes place in a big city, only it can't be a big city that I've spent any length of time in (which pretty much x's off every big city in the US...what can I say...I'm a city girl!)

So, being the anglophile that I am, I chose London.

I know nothing about London.

Where do young, recently married/coupled off, hip kids live in London? What neighborhood? And what street should I put their house/flat/whatever on? And where should they go and work? One of them, the boy, is an artist. So he needs artisty things to do. And I need an occupation for my feisty, headstrong twentysomething protagonista.

k! Sorry this post is so random and weird but I'm on something of a deadling and I'm tired and shhhiiiivvverrring! Ok! Bath time!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This sounds fascinating! Will you share the story when it's done? And have you written other stories you might share with us? Hmmmmmmmmm?

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im going to london tonight, so i can give you all the answers by sunday evening..

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ooh what about Brixton? That's the kind of place I'd imagine an artisty kind pf person living
I think Notting Hill is prett cosmopolitan, that may be another spot? It's been a while since I lived in London, and even then it wasn't for long....

And they would live in a small flat, nothing bigger. If they're well off, they'd have a nice little 2 bedroom place, if they're struggling to get by, they'd probably be in a studio apartment, or be sharing with others.

Maybe she could have a cool job working for a magazine company as a junior editor, or a columnist, or a fashion company as a buyer/designer and is trying to work her way up in the industry but has someone else vying for the job she wants.

It's currently 6am in the UK, they should be waking up in the next couple of hours and can hoepfully give you better info

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

Where do young, recently married/coupled off, hip kids live in London?
Hackney
What neighborhood?
Erm... E9
And what street should I put their house/flat/whatever on?
Victoria Park (cheaper rents yet very trendy at the moment)
And where should they go and work?
Stoke Newington/Canary Wharf
One of them, the boy, is an artist. So he needs artisty things to do. And I need an occupation for my feisty, headstrong twentysomething protagonista.
He works in an artist materials shop in Stoke Newington, she works for one of the big banks based in Canary Wharf

If you want a hint on how to cheat this then look at the pub review here http://www.urbanpath.com/london/gast...s-of-india.htm then click on the map and zoom around looking at what the pubs and restuarants look like inside. Pop a few descriptions into your story and Bob will indeed be your uncle

I hope my cheque is in the post

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

This sounds fascinating! Will you share the story when it's done? And have you written other stories you might share with us? Hmmmmmmmmm?

Sure, i'll share something with you! Probably not this, as it's going to be pretty awful (I think that's almost the point). I do this group with a bunch of friends from the Art School I ussed to spend summers at. It's almost like a little salon in which we "trade" art and then work on it. At least we'll be well-rounded in something! I can work a mean pottery wheel.

Originally Posted by silentNate

Hackney

Erm... E9
Victoria Park (cheaper rents yet very trendy at the moment)
Stoke Newington/Canary Wharf

He works in an artist materials shop in Stoke Newington, she works for one of the big banks based in Canary Wharf

If you want a hint on how to cheat this then look at the pub review here http://www.urbanpath.com/london/gast...s-of-india.htm then click on the map and zoom around looking at what the pubs and restuarants look like inside. Pop a few descriptions into your story and Bob will indeed be your uncle

I hope my cheque is in the post
Nate, you're the bestest! Can I come live with you and Epona?! All of these cool names, that I am imagining someone saying with a British accent, are doing their part to entice me to leave it all behind, get on a plane and go over there! Too bad the exchange rate is in the toilet (well, from our point of view anyway).

If this were in Chicago, they'd live in Andersonville, on Summerdale, his studio would be in a loft in West Loop and she'd probably work at Women and Children First right in their neighborhood. THey'd go to Piece for pizza and beer a lot (because if there's anything better than pizza and beer, I don't want to hear about it). See? I could do this if I were writing about HERE!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any more ideas wonderful people??

Nate, I did some googling of Hackney and it seems a lot like Logan Square in Chicago...which houses both an area known as the "shooting gallery" where there is a bad gang problem and a very up-and-coming, trendy artist community and a lot of brand new loft and condo development
I live in Lincoln Park now, which is very yuppie, VERY expensive and has like 4,000 Starbucks and lots of people who fling money around haphazardly, but isn't quite as ritzy as say something like Knightsbridge (which would be lik eour Gold Coast/Streeterville...that's where they keep the Four Seasons, Drake, Chanel, Gucci, Prada, etc.) Ian and I are actually looking at Bucktown/Logan Square...we had one member here who lives in a gorgeous condo there, but she doesn't post all that often any more.

Sorry. City neighborhoods FASCINATE me. I love their names, most especially. My favorite name of a Chicago 'hood is "Back o' the Yards". I also like "Streeterville" which just sounds cool even though its full of tourists and ridiculous rich snotty people in designer clothes and Bentleys, and "Boystown" which is where all the gay boys live. And "Wrigleyville", which is code for "where people pee on your front steps during Cubs games".

Geez. This is hard. I'm so not cut out to be a writer!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me too!

Hard to please, aren't we?

You say you like neighborhood names... are you familiar with Storyville, in New Orleans? It was where all the ladies of the evening congregated once upon a time. Perfect name!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mybabyphx

I want to read THIS when your done!
K, got it?
We'll see.

The subject is absolutely...hilarious.

"Ok, kiddos. This one is to continue character DEVELOPMENT, and begin on research. Borrow characters and plot devices from the last 2 movies you saw and put them in a locale you've never been to before. THis locale should be a major city, and can be located either in the U.S. or not. NO WRITING ABOUT CHICAGO. I swear, you all write about Chicago. Great as it is, you're going to need to branch out. Continue to develop your characters and plot lines, like we talked about, but they're already established for you...remember that this time! Most of all, though, I'm looking to be convinced that you know something about WHERE you're writing about."

Unnggghhh...the last 2 movies I saw were (and I'm ashamed to admit this) Pirates 3 and Knocked Up....

This could end hilariously.