Breast Feeding Question

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Imhaving a problem with my breast milk. Its been slowly declineing over the past month. I was pumping 6+ ounces out of the left breast and about 4 ounces out of the right one. Now Im only pumping 1 ounce out of the right and 3 out of the left.
I dont know why? If I keep going at this rate I wont have any more milk at all. I dont know what to do. Any ideas on how to increase my milk? I would appreciate any advice at all. Ive been stressing over this.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a breast pump to express the milk?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

Have you tried a breast pump to express the milk?
I only pump. Ari doesnt have a good latch and has never been able to nurse from the breast. So Ive been pumping since she was a couple days old.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fostermomm

I only pump. Ari doesnt have a good latch and has never been able to nurse from the breast. So Ive been pumping since she was a couple days old.
Ahh ok, sorry

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried brewer's yeast?
Old school pediatricians/OB's have recommended the occasional beer for decades. It's the brewer's yeast in the beer that can help increase your milk yield. I can vouch, because I was always very full a few hours after having a beer!
Congratulations on your little Ari -- I've been away for a few months myself, just catching up again.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would contact your Gyn/Ob and ask them what you can do to increase your milk supply.

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Breast milk production is a supply/demand situation. If you want to increase your supply, increase the demand (more frequent pumping.) Also, increase your fluids, and either watch the baby or look at a photo of the baby while pumping as the "let down hormones" will help. This will take a lot of work as no pump can simulate the force of an actively suckling child.

I admire you for your determination. You have a very lucky baby!

Cally

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know exactly how to help. In Toronto there is the premier breastfeeding guru/pediatrician. He helped me when Keving had a tongue tie. Here is a great link that will answer many questions http://mamadearest.ca/en/info/articles_dr_newman.htm.

I used Blessed Thistle and and Fenugreek and it really increased my milk supply. Here is the link to the actual article http://mamadearest.ca/en/info/newman/cabbage.htm.

If you have any questions pm me - I have been breast feeding for almost 2.5 years straight!

jujubee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My daughter wouldn't latch on either. A nurse taught me to use my pinky finger, with the nail cut short of course and put the finger in upside down to teach the baby to suck. My daughter wouldn't put her tongue in the right position, so the finger technique would 'train' her to do it properly.
I agree with other poster's, milk production is supply and demand. Expressed milk versus the actual 'sucking' isn't quite as productive (for lack of better words).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JuJubee

My daughter wouldn't latch on either. A nurse taught me to use my pinky finger, with the nail cut short of course and put the finger in upside down to teach the baby to suck. My daughter wouldn't put her tongue in the right position, so the finger technique would 'train' her to do it properly.
I agree with other poster's, milk production is supply and demand. Expressed milk versus the actual 'sucking' isn't quite as productive (for lack of better words).
Thanks. Ive been trying that ever since she was born. She really just cant get it. Ive talked to Le Leche League and none of their ideas worked on how to get her to suck. But she just whimpers, bites, licks and cries when I try and get her to suck.
I offer my breast before each meal that I give her (I work full time so shes with her bs during the day) and she still cant get it. I dont know why.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JuJubee

Did your daughter have a tongue tie? http://parenting.ivillage.com/newbor...,,91wd,00.html

We had Kevin's clipped at 2 weeks old and it made such a difference for breast feeding.

jujubee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She wasn't tongue tied, she would put her tongue back. the best way to describe it would be to say touch your tongue to the roof of your mouth. So when she tried to latch on, she would latch on i guess but wouldn't be able to suck with her tongue back, you know? So by putting my finger in there, i could 'teach' her to keep her tongue down when inserting nipple. I only took like 2 days worth of doing for it to work. I didn't know she wasn't getting anything, my breast would 'fall out'. I couldn't understand it, you wouldn't think that a baby couldn't automatically nurse!!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kevin's kept going back because of the tongue tie - it didn't allow him to reach it forward enough to get a good latch - fortunately it was only a minor tongue tie (inhereted from my hubby, who can't stick his tongue out) and we were able to get it fixed when we swent for help at Dr. Newman's breastfeeding clinic. Some baby's just have latching issues.