Black Widow

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished removing a black widow from our hallway. She was way at the end, in the upper corner right above the entrance to our bedroom.

The bengals didn't even notice her. (good thing) She must have set up shop there last night, I would have seen her before now if she'd been around.

I wonder where she came from and where she has been up until now.

I put her about a hundred yards from the house. Hope she stays put.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

I just finished removing a black widow from our hallway. She was way at the end, in the upper corner right above the entrance to our bedroom.

The bengals didn't even notice her. (good thing) She must have set up shop there last night, I would have seen her before now if she'd been around.

I wonder where she came from and where she has been up until now.

I put her about a hundred yards from the house. Hope she stays put.
Nial I would have bashed that with a shoe for 20 minutes if I would have seen it! You are a brave soul for taking her outside. In my home they are goners.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
oh yeah, she would've gotten a reall good shoe bashing from me too, I can't believe you had a black widow!! I'll have to rethink my dream of living in NC

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little spider was just looking for a nice warm spot to breed in....honestly good on you for "relocating" instead of "smashing".

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another smasher here. I'm already afraid of spiders. Given that I know black widows are poisonous ... yeah, there'd be no relocation. Only a squishy, messy end. (Ummm, hopefully for the spider ...)

On the other hand, knowing me and knowing how long it takes me to work up the nerve to kill an ordinary spider, I'd probably end up relocating myself rather than try to get anywhere near a spider I know to be poisonous.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's actually an attractive spider, as far as spiders go. Like black lacquer paint with a red hour glass.
Didn't give me any grief when I shoo'd her into the cardboard box.

Black widow's are not common spiders, so I didn't see any need in harming her, but I don't want her hangin out at our place, inviting her friends over and raising her youngin's.
I don't like her that much.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Count me in on the smashing side. My husband came very close to losing his leg after being bit by a brown recluse. I have a spider bite on my leg right now that has been there for 2 months and hasn't gone away. Spider bites are nasty. My ex-step mother's face was swollen like a balloon after a black widow bite. She had to be rushed to the hospital. I don't want to imagine what would happen if one of the kitties got bit!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be smashin it too...

My brother had a horrid brown recluse bite on his leg. Took months to get over and he still has an awful scar.

I smash first, ask questions later.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes! I wouldn't have smashed it becuase I would have been running away too quickly

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only reason I don't run away screaming is because I can't stand living with the knowledge that it is in the house somewhere unsupervised.
What I don't know won't hurt me. We've had trouble with brown recluse spiders this year and you can count me in the smashing group. Both Leopold and DH have had ER visits because of bites. Prompt, and I mean *prompt* treatment is the key.

I use vinegar and a fly swatter.
The vinegar doesn't kill them but they sure don't like it, either!

jujubee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm a relocator too! Those black widow's can get pretty big, I've seen them bigger than my thumbnail (i don't know if it's the abdomen or what) the part with the hourglass. Very intimidating!!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a squasher too. I always tell them that in a world as big as this one is...they could have found somewhere else to be....my home is my home, not theirs.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

OMG! I would have pulled out the vacuum, sucked her in and then thrown out the vacuum and then went and bought a Dyson
Now, THAT'S a response!

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh...spiders I just can't deal with. I have a run and scream like a girl moment, and then realize that my cats aren't going to help me and a dead spider is much better then a missing (and possibly in my bed) spider so i come running with the nearest shoe. If anyone has a good bug killing kitty that they could lend me to train my monsters to seek and destroy, i would really appreciate it! LOL