Smudgey just leaped down from the top of the cat tree!!!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh man it scared me! She NEVER jumps down from the top because of her bad eyesight, and she hates doing it. She very very very rarely does it.

But Stumpy was in the middle level of the cat tree right where Smudge jumps (she goes from the top level to the middle level to the window sill, then onto the ground), so she leaped from the top to a spot nearly 2 meters away from the tree onto the ground!

The other girls do this with no problem, and they do it very gracefully, but when Smudge does it she lands with a thud - she just can't judge the distance

Normally if she wants to get down and Stumpy is in the way, she gets upset and walks around in circles making noises, and I just lift her down.

It just worries me because I have no idea how well she can see and I'm scared someday she'll completely misjudge it and hurt herself...

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she ok? Maybe she just wanted to try it to she if she has gotten any better at it? Maybe she was just trying to give you a heart attack. That Stumpy better move out of her way next time!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't see her land (my view was obscured by the couch), but she's definitely ok. It's just a heavy sounding landing - it's like she just leaps and has no idea where the ground is so just puts her legs out and hopes for the best, it must really jar her.

I wish she'd just stick to the middle level of the tree, but she loves to be king of the castle up the very top - and she bats at the other girls when they try to get up there

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sarah, is Smudgey heavy footed otherwise?

I ask because Trent lands off of just about anything with that same heavy thud. He's just heavy-footed and not terribly graceful. It sounds terrible, but he's fine when he lands.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes she is quite heavy footed, but I put that down to her general uncoordination. She walks a little funny, and when she chases things, she falls over her own feet.

Also, when the other cats jump down, they keep running when they land, but the couple of times I've seen smudge do it, she stops, recomposes herself, then runs off.

I just worry about my baby girl....

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excalibur is heavy footed also, actually, more klutzy then anything!

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tigger is heavy footed too! everytime he jumps down, i go running to see what crashed,lol

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know it's not fair to ask you and it puts some hardship onto you, but could you please give her some lovin' from me?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I know it's not fair to ask you and it puts some hardship onto you, but could you please give her some lovin' from me?

I "rewarded" her afterwards by putting eye drops in her eyes which always has her growling, grumbling and trying to kill me
I've just started her eye drops again, and wondered if they're helping and that's why she jumped down, so figured I should dump some more drops in...

But THEN she got lots of treats and snuggles and cuddles and belly rubs
I need to go back downstairs, so will give her more cuddles for you

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I "rewarded" her afterwards by putting eye drops in her eyes which always has her growling, grumbling and trying to kill me
I've just started her eye drops again, and wondered if they're helping and that's why she jumped down, so figured I should dump some more drops in...

But THEN she got lots of treats and snuggles and cuddles and belly rubs
I need to go back downstairs, so will give her more cuddles for you
Aw thanks. I'm so in love with her - just looking at her picture makes my heart go "ba-boom, ba-boom".

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sarah, Damita likes to now get up on counters, tables, beds, etc. She'll jump, just get a flying leap. She always land feet splayed out at her sides with a massive thud for such a small cat. BUt, she never seems hurt. She's also very uncoordinated & noisy when she moves. That's just her. She lets me know when she's hurt herself with a "special" meow, too.

Sorry to hijack, but if it is her sight, there's not much to be done. She probably won't jump down from so high much, but once she gets the hangs of it, there's no keeping her down!