Jordan Update

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the vet called and his ultra sound was totally normal. No tumors, no thickened intestine wall. So that's good, but doesn't explain the elevated calcium level. My vet neglected to include the ionized blood test results to the vet drew more blood with the idea that they would run a test. She said that she would call my vet and that if it was indeed high she would want to run it again. Apparently the elevated total lymphocytes is a ratio and doesn't really mean anthing on it's own. She also said that there are additional tests that can and should be done before an exploritory, or endoscopy. So for now, things are still unanswered, but I feel better that surgery isn't the next step.

I should also add that she said that they have not ruled out cancer, but she doesn't necessarily feel they should be looking for it either.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad that they at least aren't looking just for cancer. I really hope the find can give you some good news.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, normal test is one bit of good news!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so confused. They were unable to do an ionized blood test yesterday, but the total calcium test they did was normal???????

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

I'm so confused. They were unable to do an ionized blood test yesterday, but the total calcium test they did was normal???????
That is confusing, but possibly good news, right?

I don't have any experience with this, but I did a little googling and found a couple of things. This link suggests that lab errors are common when testing calcium levels. So does this one.

Is Jordan taking lactulose? From this page, it seems that lactulose has an effect on calcium absorption. I don't really understand everything I read there, but it seemed like relevant info.

I'm glad to hear that the ultrasound was normal. I hope you can get some more (positive) answers soon.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou for the link on the lactulose, I've been wondering about that stuff. It is also intresting that because he couldn't get food or water after midnight, he had not had any lactulose in almost 12 hours when they did his blood draw yesterday. Where as when he had it done at the vet he had gotten it probably 8 hours before hand. Also, I have since reduced the amount I'm giving him. I e-mailed the link to my sister who knows more about that kind of thing to get her opinon.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet told me after one of Swanie's blood tests that his calcium was a little high, that they see that a lot, and they really don't know why. So hopefully it was just "one of those things" with Jordan and he will be fine! Continued vibes for the two of you.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I find myself frustrated again today. I called the e-vet and the woman I talked to was encouraging me to use my regular vet for the follow up blood test. I tried to explain that my vet really seems to be intrested in surgery and their vet had other suggestions. She said to have my vet call their vet for the other suggestions. I'm just afraid my vet is going to have that pride thing going and won't be willing to listen.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would be getting frusterated, too. Honestly, I would flat out tell your vet if they are not willing to consider the "other options", you will find one who will.