This job search is heartbreaking...

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Overqualified... overqualified... overqualified...

That's all I keep hearing. I've even tried applying to industries I've never been in before so I'm not qualified at all... and then they see my resume and go "oy, you've done all that? next!"

And then today I finally got an offer to come in for an interview on what I think is an awesome job - a receptionist for a vets office. Yeah, ok receptionist is quite a step down from where I am in the job level pyramid (no offense intended to any receptionists) and it's a cut in pay... which I knew I would have to take anyway, but how cool would it be to ooh and ahh over furkids all day, right? But they're only offering 30 hours... and at the cut in pay I'd have to take... I'd be short $300/month.

This is heartbreaking. It would have finally been a chance to get into something I'm actually interested in and I just plain can't afford it. And it's not like I can cut back on anything... I don't live an extravagant lifestyle or anything... Can't sell the house, no one is buying and it really wouldn't save me money anyway since I pay the same in a mortgage that I did in rent... it's not like I have some crazy cable package or something...

This is all just bumming me out...

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh hun, I really know how it is
I went through it for 7 months and finally landed my dream job- and it WILL happen to you too, I just know it, have faith

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i know what you mean!! i cant find anything in my area, and the ones i do get offered, no hours and HUGE cut in pay :cry:

I am thinkin of going to school, and finally doing what I want to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
God I want to go to school. It took me 15 years, but I had finally decided what I wanted to go to school for... and mere days before I was planning to apply, this all happened....

I can still go to school if I get approved for a loan... but unfortunately, that won't pay the bills.

Blech this all stinks!

And I know there has to be something good out there for me... I just wish it would hurry up and get here already!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry you are having such a difficult time! Hopefully the perfect job for you comes up soon! Have you tried headhunters?

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

God I want to go to school. It took me 15 years, but I had finally decided what I wanted to go to school for... and mere days before I was planning to apply, this all happened....

I can still go to school if I get approved for a loan... but unfortunately, that won't pay the bills.

Blech this all stinks!

And I know there has to be something good out there for me... I just wish it would hurry up and get here already!
is there any way to take some courses online? that way you can still take a job?

also , as said before, HeadHunters, Monster, and CareerBuilder will help with your job search, also local temp companies!

And it dosent hurt to try Job Bank too for your area. Good Luck hun!!!

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well thats the plan... I want to go to art institute online for an interior design degree... so it's still in the works providing I can get some sort of financial aid... but gosh I hope I can find a job in the mean time...

monster
careerbuilder
hotjobs
specialty mortgage job site
temp agencies
staffing agencies
could only find one headhunter I could find that would deal with the mortgage industry... havent heard back yet... other head hunters dont want to look at my resume because i'm not in their industries

got turned down for the only searching job available in my state... overqualified

tried the local county job board....

there has to be other options... i'm sure there are... i just haven't found them yet.

I guess what is the most disappointing is that it almost feels like why did I bother working so hard? Why did I put in all this time and effort just to get turned down for everything because I'm overqualified? Seems like I shouldn't have bothered... and I'm sure that's not true in the grand scheme of things.. but it's really getting on my last nerve right now since it feels like it was all for nothing.

And then what kills me is when I hear the president and other officials talking about how great the economy is. I'm sorry, but I'm not buying it. If it were so great there wouldn't be so many of us being laid off right now. 45 more at DH's job yesterday.
This s*cks.

jujubee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hear you!!! I've sent resumes out for 2 years, I've taken the test for the post office etc. I make good money where i work now, but i have NO benefits.
I also need to make a certain amount of money, and i can't afford not to work and go to school. I am even willing to take a cut in pay to a certain extent.
The USPS has a waiting list, i did get notified of an opening. I sent in an application (along with 100 other people, at least) and probably won't hear anything for another year!
In the mean time I'm getting older, which does not help!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, it took me 1.5 years to find this job...it was the second that offered. The first was the same pay and the same headaches.

I'm in school now and will finish up this fall. I'm already planning on moving because of job situations.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you took the receptionist job, would you get free or discounted care for your kitties? I know that wouldn't amount to $300 a month, but it might help. Or maybe they would increase your hours at some point? Or your could take on an additional part-time job (20 hours or less) somewhere else?

Anyway, I hope something will work out for you soon!

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

If you took the receptionist job, would you get free or discounted care for your kitties? I know that wouldn't amount to $300 a month, but it might help. Or maybe they would increase your hours at some point? Or your could take on an additional part-time job (20 hours or less) somewhere else?

Anyway, I hope something will work out for you soon!
See that's the problem... Technically I already have a second job. My old job couldn't stand to lose me because there really is no one else in the company that does what I do. So instead of firing me completely, they've asked me to work nights for them at a fraction of what I used to make... and they're hoping they can bring me back full time eventually. But there's no way in the world I could afford to live on what they're giving me.. no one could. So my first job became my second and I need to find a new first.

So I was adding what the vet's office was offering to what my old job is offering and I was still coming up $300+ short.

They don't have the extra hours to offer because it's a small clinic and those are the only hours they're open. I didn't ask about discounted vet care because once I heard the pay rate + hours, I knew I was SOL.

On the up side... I met with yet another staffing agency today and it went well. They found DH a job many moons ago, so I have some faith in them. Fingers crossed! Maybe I'll get lucky

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been looking for work for a couple of months now too after being layed off from a clerical job of 7 years, so I know the trouble your having....maybe if we all squeeze our kitties and pray real hard, by this time next week we'll all be happily employed again!

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good luck with the job search. I hope it all turns out well. I know it will. I really hate hearing people having problems with being "overqualified". That is RIDICULOUS!! I asked someone who is in the field I am studying now if that will happen to us, and he said it probably will. I can't imagine why. Why? Wouldn't you rather pay someone who knows what they are doing rather than hire someone for less that doesn't do a good job? I guess right now this is a double-edged sword for me, because soon I will be that one that is new and will work for less....

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Sending you and Susie new great job vibes.

When hubby was out of work 4 years ago, it was 18 months before he got a job. Fortunately, this time out, it has only been a month (he got an offer today - less money, more commute, but he seems to think it will be interesting).

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

I've been looking for work for a couple of months now too after being layed off from a clerical job of 7 years, so I know the trouble your having....maybe if we all squeeze our kitties and pray real hard, by this time next week we'll all be happily employed again!
I'm all for that! Now where's my Sammy kitten hiding.. he's always up for a good snuggle!

Originally Posted by Samantha1979

Good luck with the job search. I hope it all turns out well. I know it will. I really hate hearing people having problems with being "overqualified". That is RIDICULOUS!! I asked someone who is in the field I am studying now if that will happen to us, and he said it probably will. I can't imagine why. Why? Wouldn't you rather pay someone who knows what they are doing rather than hire someone for less that doesn't do a good job? I guess right now this is a double-edged sword for me, because soon I will be that one that is new and will work for less....
The basic theory of overqualification is that the potential employee knows he/she could make more money than what the potential employer is offering... so the employer feels that at the first inkling of a better offer, the employee will be out the door... thereby losing the money they spent on any training or whatever.

Which in the grand scheme of things makes NO sense to me. Considering the lack of job security in the current working world, wouldn't *any* employee (even one not as qualified) bail at the first sign of a better job? Whose going to turn down more money (or whatever made the second job better) because they were somewhere else first?

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sorry to hear, job hunting can really take it out of you.
as they say keep at it, in time you will find what is right for you.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*** Update (and an odd one at that) ***

Ok so get this. The only searching job available in my state had previously turned me down as overqualified. I knew I was, but it was still a bit frustrating.

Then out of the blue I got an email last night from the recruiting manager of the company who saw my resume on a job site and was interested in me. Now I had originally applied through their own website, so they didn't know I was on that job site before this. Weird, eh? I have to call her in the morning to see what this is all about... and I even joked with DH that I was going to turn them down and then say yes just to see how they like it
But either way its an interesting turn of events.

Could it be another case of TCS vibes in action?
(Quick everyone think "huge salary!"
)

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm sending *HUGE SALARY!* vibes for you!!!

And man, the over-qualified thing sucks. I would want qualified people doing the job.