Ferris is at the vet's now...

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...and I'm even MORE angry than I was when they cancelled his appointment on Tuesday.

Why?

OK, first: Ferris' was the ONLY appointment that got canceled on Tuesday, NO ONE else got canceled on. That's a HUGE problem for me.
How DARE they cancel the appointment for the cat with panic issues over any other client?

Second, they are only giving him "light" sedation and not the anesthesia that I'd been led to believe. So that makes me wonder, why exactly did I have to starve him AND the other cats for 12 hours for "light" sedation? Any vet techs here that can answer that one for me?

Third: They ARGUED with me about giving him a lion cut. They were only going to trim out his matts, and that's it. Why? Because, and I quote, "Oh, well, we think that removing all of their fur causes too much stress for the cat.

EXCUSE ME???!!!

I said to them: I called, asked if they worked with a groomer that could come in and give him a lion cut under sedation. They said YES. Now the vet himself is telling me, oh, we never said that. We said that we COULD do a lion cut, but we didn't say we WOULD.

Again, EXCUSE ME????!!!!

They said that they were expecting that he would be loaded up with matts, and they said he really wasn't that bad. HELLO!!! I TOLD them where his matts were, I NEVER said that he was covered in them - I'm a good cat owner, darn it!

I told them that his belly MUST be shaved, as it will be EVEN MORE traumatic for me to have to bring him in again in 6 months when he matts up again.

So the bottom line is, they refused to shave his back fur OR his tail fur, so he will be coming home with a MOHAWK!!!! So now instead of coming home looking like a regal lion, Ferris will come home looking like Brangelina's son with the mohawk. My poor, poor boy.

Oh my head I'm so angry right now...breathe...breathe....

They are running a full blood panel as I requested, and the vet started telling me, "Now, we won't have the results today because we have to send them out." and was looking at me like I was an idiot who expected immediate results. I told him I don't care if it takes a MONTH for the results, I want a full workup done on him because I need to make sure that he's ok after having tainted foods back in Jan/Feb.

At least here the vet agreed with me that it was a good idea.
But when I asked him to take the blood panel BEFORE sedating Ferris, the vet looked at me like I have three heads and questioned why I wanted it done BEFORE.

I said, so that there is no sedative in his blood when you are testing it - I should think that's self-explanitory. I mean COME ON!!!!

Oh - and the kicker? The total visit today is going to cost me $300! No discount for my inconvenience, my completely rescheduled week's plans, just a feeble apology from them that they just didn't have the staff to acommodate him on Tuesday.

It is time for me to try to find a vet that specializes in JUST CATS. I'm at the point where I don't care how far away they are. I can NOT have this kind of miscommunication and inconsideration for Ferris occur ever, EVER again. This has now gone FAR beyond ridiculous.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh honey... I'm so sorry.

Your best bet is to find other cat lovers in your area and ask who they are using as a vet.

I'm sure that Ferris is going to look very cute with his Mohawk.

If you need anything at all PM me okay?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, sweetie.

Just knowing that I can come here and you guys (unlike that stupid vet) actually understand where I'm coming from and why I need to care for him the way I do - that by itself is huge for me and I love you all for it.

I promise I will not bark at anyone here today.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't understand why finding a good vet is so
difficult, we have exactly the same problem in the UK.
We pay them vast amounts of money, and get very little in the way of care back.
Lots of
for you and Ferris.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is horrible customer service in my opinion, and yes, I would be looking for another vet..I am sorry you are having to go through this..again, and poor Ferris...

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betsy, Thats terrible! I can't believe how UNPROFESIONAL they are. It sucks to have to find a different vet but it's probably for the best. Good luck!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. just wow. You have every right to be
. They chose to only cancel one appointment and they did so with 10 minutes notice?!?! I would have already been there when they called

They really dropped the ball on that one...poor Ferris, won't he be confused with his naked belly

I'm sure he'll still be as handsome as ever

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I've looked through the phone book and there appears to be only one other vet that specializes in "natural" health care, but there are no longer any feline specialty clinics around. There used to be one, long before I had cats, but it appears that they don't exist anymore.

I don't know what to do. I cannot take Ferris to a regular groomer, and I don't want to have to deal with this again with this particular office. They were GREAT with Ginger, but they just don't seem to care about MY concerns for Ferris and they don't want to seem to take care of him the way I want them to.

The funny thing is, this particular vet does low cost spay and neuters for a couple of feral rescue groups in the area, so you would think he would have some compassion where a semi-feral is concerned!

I just don't know what to think or do at this point.
And I'm worried about my baby boy, of course.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Ferris and poor you! Maybe he will start a new fashion trend with his new do? Hopefully everything goes ok and I really hope your vet gets a major attitude adjustment!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You may have to call all the vets specifically and ask them if they practice any "natural" health. I know I like to go the natural path as much as possible, but it took me calling and finding out. Few actually advertised for it.

And some here have at least someone who practices it in the office, if it wasnt necessarily the vet.

I can certainly understand your frustration with this vet. I dont see how he/they even have the guts to think they can tell you how your cat can or cannot be cut. Its not like you are abusing him, you are asking for a specific cut!!!

And then to totally disregard the fact that he is a semi feral is beyond inconsiderate and speaks very loud of who he is as a vet.

Keep searching for one who will truly take care of your baby's!

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

It is time for me to try to find a vet that specializes in JUST CATS. I'm at the point where I don't care how far away they are. I can NOT have this kind of miscommunication and inconsideration for Ferris occur ever, EVER again. This has now gone FAR beyond ridiculous.
I agree! They did not seem sympathetic at all. I don't know why, but it continues to suprise me that vets, people that claim to love animals, can act this way.... not to mention totally unprofessional.

to you and Ferris, poor little guy

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had to deal with similar things at my vet's office.

I hope you can find a good one, because those kinds of things are unacceptable.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

I hope you're able to find a good vet. I'm sorry that you've gotten the run around this week.

Is this the one that doesn't exist anymore? (the info I found could be out of date, I don't know)

Dr. Elaine M Bird
The Feline Hospital
81 Webb St
Salem, MA 01970
USA
Phone: (978) 744-8020

I found it here:

http://aafponline.org/find_results.p...&Submit=Submit
Another possibility from that list:

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dr. Maureen E. Turner
High Street Veterinary Hospital
78 High Street