Question in regards to orphaned kitten

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! I know that this has been covered before, but I need some information if you don't mind. Athena, the kitten that I'm bottle-feeding, will not poop. I stimulate her, and she'll pee, but not poop. I did a search and read over the posts. I did try to run her little back end under a small stream of warm water and tried to stimulate her again. I've bottle-fed before, but never had a kitten to do this. What else do you recommend? If I missed the answer in a thread somewhere, I'm sorry and would you mind to post the link? I picked her up on Sunday evening, so that tells you how long I've had her. Reyah has taken on the motherly role, but it took a few days. I'm hoping that she can help. Thanks!

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
are you feeding her KMR? or another type of formula?

something the formula's will cause constipation, and you might want to water it down a bit, so they get more water, and that might help. also, might be able to use some Pedaylite unflavored. Good Luck with the lil one!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Liza24

are you feeding her KMR? or another type of formula?

something the formula's will cause constipation, and you might want to water it down a bit, so they get more water, and that might help. also, might be able to use some Pedaylite unflavored. Good Luck with the lil one!
I am feeding KMR. A friend that works for the shelter recommended Goat's Milk, but I've never used that, so I didn't know if that would be better. I spoke with my vet's office and they advised doing an enema and told me how to do it, but I'm a little nervous on that. How much Pedialyte, if necessary, would need to be given? Thanks for your help.

This is her:
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...na36-20-07.jpg
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...na26-20-07.jpg
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...ena6-20-07.jpg

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG.. she's just precious!!!
When I had Mouse & Bear a few months ago, it took a while for them to poop. Probably because of dehydration.
Make sure she is good and warm. Put in a heated rice sock under the towels and cover her box when she's sleeping to keep in the heat. As soon as she wakes up, stimulate her to pee and poop. Rub her little belly and her genitals and anus with a warm, wet cotton ball. Clean her up once she goes (she may not go poop or she may) and wrap her in a towel. Feed her and burp her and then give her warm cuddles for a bit. Gently rub her little tummy with your thumb. Often kittens will roll onto their backs for you to do this. If she starts to squirm around she may need to go again. This is a good time to try to stimulate her again. When they are warm, freshly fed and relaxed is the best time to get them to poop IMO.

Good luck! She may actually need an enema. I don't know really. I do know that it can take a few days to get them regular. Thing is, once she starts pooping she may get diarhea so make sure you look up how to deal with that too.

Devlyn

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I suspect that your older cat is taking care of the problem. If she is licking the kitten, she is stimulating the bowels. If the kitten expels waste, your older cat will be eating it (instinctively). You can hope this is what happening, and if it is then it's the best thing to happen. We make poor substitutes for a queen's care when it comes to waste disposal.

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Devlyn

OMG.. she's just precious!!!
When I had Mouse & Bear a few months ago, it took a while for them to poop. Probably because of dehydration.
Make sure she is good and warm. Put in a heated rice sock under the towels and cover her box when she's sleeping to keep in the heat. As soon as she wakes up, stimulate her to pee and poop. Rub her little belly and her genitals and anus with a warm, wet cotton ball. Clean her up once she goes (she may not go poop or she may) and wrap her in a towel. Feed her and burp her and then give her warm cuddles for a bit. Gently rub her little tummy with your thumb. Often kittens will roll onto their backs for you to do this. If she starts to squirm around she may need to go again. This is a good time to try to stimulate her again. When they are warm, freshly fed and relaxed is the best time to get them to poop IMO.

Good luck! She may actually need an enema. I don't know really. I do know that it can take a few days to get them regular. Thing is, once she starts pooping she may get diarhea so make sure you look up how to deal with that too.

Devlyn
Thanks. It sounds like I'm basically doing all I can, then, because I've been doing all of these. I've bottle-fed kittens before and never had this problem. If she hasn't gone by Saturday morning, then I'm going to run her down to my vet's office and see if I can get one of them to try. I've been going there for about 18yrs, so they usually will help in the time of need.

I'll keep you all posted. I just want to say thank you to each one of you. I really appreciate your help.

tnkittymom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

I suspect that your older cat is taking care of the problem. If she is licking the kitten, she is stimulating the bowels. If the kitten expels waste, your older cat will be eating it (instinctively). You can hope this is what happening, and if it is then it's the best thing to happen. We make poor substitutes for a queen's care when it comes to waste disposal.
That's what I'm hoping, but she didn't start helping with her until last night, so up until then, I know that the kitten hadn't. Reyah is trying, but she's only half grooming from what I'm seeing. I agree about a queen's care. I'm thankful that Reyah is now taking an interest.
She was a good mom at the shelter, though, from what I was told.