He's a WHAT?

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night John and I were visiting one of his friends. He and his wife had adopted two cats from I have no clue where. One is a beautiful HUGE Dilute Calico. On first look the second cat (male) looks like just a blue with white socks and chest. On closer examination, his fur appears to change colors, turning from dark blue to silvery depending on your angle. I commented that he was a pretty cat and the guy said, "He's some sort of special breed, they called him a silver wolf or something like that"
. He said the "odd" thing about the cat is his eyes... when I looked I saw that the eyes are somewhere between green and blue (almost teal looking) and pretty wild. The cat is just gorgeous, but in my un-expert opinion I'd say he was a Siamese mix (has the body "shape" of a Traditional Siamese) which would account for the blue eyes. I couldn't get pictures because I didn't have my camera phone on me, but I'll try to next time we're out there. But does anyone have any clue what the people might have told him the cat is??? Silver wolf cat??????
I tried doing a google search on it but came up with nothing... which I expected.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Russian Blue has a silvery coat with green eye color - too bad you didn't take a picture of him. But from the description, that could the answer.

But there is no silver wolf cat

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe he was a blue mink, with the teal eyes and all. Too bad you didn't get a picture!

Silver wolf...
the things people make up.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the most wolf like cats I've seen are a certain look in silver somalis.

Like these ones:

(not my photo, original)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OHHHHHHHHHHHH my - I love them! I wish that USA would accept the silver aby/somali! They are gorgeous cats

Now that I would call a "silver wolf cat"

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Frankly and IMO - I'd rather have a silver somali then a silver Aby ... though I don't know why exactly!

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

Frankly and IMO - I'd rather have a silver somali then a silver Aby ... though I don't know why exactly!
I agree actually
I think it's because the silver ticking is so contrasty it somehow looks better (to me) on longer fur where it's not quite as clear just because of the fur being longer.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

OHHHHHHHHHHHH my - I love them! I wish that USA would accept the silver aby/somali! They are gorgeous cats
TICA does except silver Somalis but CFA does not. I love the silver a lot to and would choose to breed them over the dilutes.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With all the designer dogs of today, maybe there are designer cats now too? Mixed breeds that people make up names for (is that happening in the cat world like the dog world?)
If they say he is Silver Wolf, then to them he is a Silver Wolf Cat.

They might have very well been told he was that and just took it at face value. Sounds like a pretty cat even though he is not what they think. I like the silvers and blues personally a lot.
I almost ended up with a very large and hairy blue boy one time, but now have a not so hairy Sphynx

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

If they say he is Silver Wolf, then to them he is a Silver Wolf Cat.

They might have very well been told he was that and just took it at face value.
Exactly what I was going to say.

Golden.. all I can say to designer cats are

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Oh I agree 110% - I'm against designer cats as much as designer DOGS...don't get me started on the D-dogs!
LMAO I won't! I just thought we already had designer cats, and they were called "breeds." (Not so many differences between breeds/etc that you could really have an effective designer) If you want to rant about designer dogs, though, Chazhound will love you.

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by noludoru

LMAO I won't! I just thought we already had designer cats, and they were called "breeds." (Not so many differences between breeds/etc that you could really have an effective designer) If you want to rant about designer dogs, though, Chazhound will love you.
Breeds are bred to a standard maintaining a look, temperament, and health, designers dogs are cats are placing 2 dogs or cats together and making money. There may be a rare exception, a well meaning person, still doing health checks, "believing" the over hype on hybrid vigor. I completely respect if you don't want a purebred cat or dog, however, designer cats and purebred cats are different.

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FamilytimeRags

Breeds are bred to a standard maintaining a look, temperament, and health, designers dogs are cats are placing 2 dogs or cats together and making money. There may be a rare exception, a well meaning person, still doing health checks, "believing" the over hype on hybrid vigor. I completely respect if you don't want a purebred cat or dog, however, designer cats and purebred cats are different.
I'm sorry--It was a joke. I certainly know the difference between a breed and two cats someone threw together to make a buck. What I really meant with the "designer" cats as breeds is that within dog breeds there are just *so* many differences between breeds, cats really aren't quite there yet. Part of the "appeal" of designer dogs (besides the "cute" names
) is that you can get an interesting "look" from crossing two breeds. What no one realizes is that if you cross a Lab to a Poodle, "hybrid vigour" isn't going to get rid of the health problems their parents had.

And now I'm dragging this more off topic. *shuts up*

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by noludoru

I'm sorry--It was a joke. I certainly know the difference between a breed and two cats someone threw together to make a buck. What I really meant with the "designer" cats as breeds is that within dog breeds there are just *so* many differences between breeds, cats really aren't quite there yet. Part of the "appeal" of designer dogs (besides the "cute" names
) is that you can get an interesting "look" from crossing two breeds. What no one realizes is that if you cross a Lab to a Poodle, "hybrid vigour" isn't going to get rid of the health problems their parents had.

And now I'm dragging this more off topic. *shuts up*
Sorry, it is difficult to tell joke with out voice infliction. I agree with what you mentioned about the hybrid vigor, you are right, just because a dog is healthy, doesn't mean it doesn't have or carry a genetic issue that will show itself later, hip displaysia, thyroid, BAER testing, I could on and on for dogs. I almost bred OES, Old English Sheepdogs, but they were really pet quality, so were altered, although I do have quite a bit of knowledge in the breed. After losing Jack at 4 to a brain tumor, and seeing all the inbreeding within the OES breed, I cant seem to want to go back and have my heart broke again. I am judging the entire breed in a negative light, I love the breed, but I don't think they will make it, if breeders don't start looking closer at what they are breeding.
I could rant on and on like the sum of you about designer cats and dogs, it just makes me slap my forehead and shake my head. Humanity and the all mighty dollar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have to go help John's friend move some furniture outside for a yard sale either tonight or Saturday. I'll be getting pictures of the kitty then. He has asked me to help them find a home for that cat and one of their other cats... not sure why, I'll have to talk to him more when we go out there. But I'll definitely post the pictures of this boy for you all to see.