4 hours worth of math tonight uhhhhh!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If i see another math problem i do believe i will SCREAM!!!!!
I tutored my niece Taylor for 4 hours tonight (she's in summer school for math and is having a hard time). I haven't done that much math since my Astronomy II lab in college.
I am soooo glad i'm not in school anymore
Bless her heart though i'm hoping she does well on her tests tomorrow though!!
Her last day of summer school is next Thrs. and she has to take so many tests before she can pass (they do a years worth of school in about 2-3 weeks). She did really well with me helping her tonight so i hope she does ok. I'm going to help her more next week too. Hopefully she'll pass now

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
dont worry my friend, math will not cause your head to blow off you shoulders(even if it feels like it wants to)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

dont worry my friend, math will not cause your head to blow off you shoulders(even if it feels like it wants to)
geesh i didn't show it when i was tutoring her -but the entire time i was like "ahhhhhh too much math!!!" i haven't spent that long doing math since i took astronomy and we had to do astronomical trig. all the time
i can do it well but i just hate it
it's worth it though if it helps her though!!! she seems to learn really well when i tutor her so whatever works makes me happy!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i am not looking forward to the day my nephew asks for help, its been 18 years since i had to do math.,

the last math i had to do was in a advanced aerodynmics phycis class in school

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

i am not looking forward to the day my nephew asks for help, its been 18 years since i had to do math.,

the last math i had to do was in a advanced aerodynmics phycis class in school
oh yuck! that sounds like it was fun
/ get ready- it'll happen eventually- they always sucker out the ones who know/ at least knew at one time how to do math

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a great aunt you are! I'll keep my fingers crossed that she passes!

What kind of math is it? Just basic or stuff like algebra?

When I decided to go back to Nursing School I had to take an entrance test/exam. Most of it was math related because as a nurse we have to figure out medication dosages so you want to make sure you know your math.

The math stuff involved fractions and ratios. Something I had never learned!!!! I'm a decimal girl
I had no clue how to do fractions. Ugh!

I borrowed a book from the library called "123 Math The Easy Way" which I think was created for grade 2 or 3 kids, LOL, and I used it to learn fractions. I aced the entrance exam and every math/drug calculation test we had!!!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it was some what. We got to mess around with a real wind tunnel., and stuff, that part was really great. Now the math parts of it where not.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
o man do i hate math
I am horrible, most things I can do though
But I just hate doing it
My nephew was in 1st grade getting all this homework everynight
I was just so shocked, and my sil never finished school so I am the one to go to for help when I am there, its basics things, but I am not looking forward to junior high

But ur a great aunt, u are right whatever helps

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

What a great aunt you are! I'll keep my fingers crossed that she passes!

What kind of math is it? Just basic or stuff like algebra?
thankyou!! i'm hoping she does well and passes summer school
it's pretty simple math (but for her, it is not simple- so we were really working hard tonight to help her understand it well). mainly fractions, dividing by 4 digit numbers, story division problems (she tries to solve the "story" and not the actual problem- so we worked on those), quotients/etc, some small easy algebra things as well. nothing too horrible- it's just that she does not have the basics down- like knowing her multiplication tables/etc so that makes it even harder for her to understand more complex things because everything compounds for the most part as you progress in math levels it seems. So hopefully now she will have a good understanding of what we did and will be able to do well on her tests. We have an appointment set up when school starts in Aug. for her to be tested for learning disorders/ and to get some extra help at school as she needs it

it was some what. We got to mess around with a real wind tunnel., and stuff, that part was really great. Now the math parts of it where not.
wind tunnel sounds fun -math....mmmm...not so much

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I dont believe that. Math makes my head hurt. LOL I know if I do just one more thing related to math sometimes it will explode so I stop and dont do it for awhile. Math is evil! I hope your niece does well!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fostermomm

I dont believe that. Math makes my head hurt. LOL I know if I do just one more thing related to math sometimes it will explode so I stop and dont do it for awhile. Math is evil! I hope your niece does well!
it is definitely evil, but a necessary evil
thankyou too- i'm hoping she does well on her tests tomorrow! they are having their summer school in the school's libary and are taking all of their tests online- so they're kind of going at the pace of each student depending on how many tests they do in a day. Since she goes a bit slower- she has a bit more to make up than others so she's getting frusterated. i'm hoping now that she's studied well she will have an easier time tomorrow and get more tests done well.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

We have an appointment set up when school starts in Aug. for her to be tested for learning disorders/ and to get some extra help at school as she needs it
That's good! She could have dyslexia.

I had a really hard time learning to read, and the teacher used to come to our house and spend some extra time with me. My father was illiterate and my mother worked so much that she didn't have the time to spend time with me to do that, so the teacher was nice enough to invest some extra time in me.

I've always had problems with math, especially math that involves letters like algebra.

Over the years I have found myself in jobs such as accounting, tax preparation, data entry etc that require a decent level of basic math..which I had, but I always had such a hard time for some reason anyway.

I didn't find out until the early 1990's when I was in my early 30's that I am dyslexic and while I have a problem with letters and words when I'm tired, stressed or rushed, I my problem is more acute with numbers.

Once I learned that I was dyslexic everything started to make sense to me: my difficulty with learning to read, my difficulty with math etc.

When I went to nursing school, I never dared to mention that I am dyslexic. The teachers would have drummed me out of the program despite my qualifications and excellence in all areas.

At work when I need to calculate a drug dose I do it 3 times to make sure. If it's a more complex dosage calculation I always, always, always, have someone double check my math calculations. And I always have someone double check when I know I'm tired or feeling rushed. Some girls at work know I'm dyslexic and because I've learned to compensate and "cover", a few had a hard time believing me.

Dyslexia is a horrible thing and I'm lucky that mine isn't as severe as some people.

Is your niece right or left handed by chance?

I've been doing an unofficial study about dyslexia and it's causes.

I am right handed, but was born left handed. However the grade school I started in catered to right handed kids, and my parents were told to slap me whenever I tried to use my left hand for things. The purpose was that it would be easier for me when I was in school because all of the desks were for right handed kids, as were the scissors etc and left handed stuff was very hard and expensive to get. So I was slapped, and slapped and slapped some more.

Today I am right handed for wrighting, but I do many things with my left hand (baseball, can openers, sewing ect.) I can also write with both hands, but I write faster with my right. My writing is neater with my left.

The brain of a person who is left handed is wired very differently than those who are right handed.

For right handed people, the language centre of the brain is on the left side. For left handed people, the language centre is on the right side.

It's my theory that my dyslexia is largely due to the fact that the 2 halves of my brain struggle to control my speach centre.

As I was born a lefty, the speach centre would have been on the right side of my brain. However, because I'm now predominantly right handed, the left side of my brain is being cued for speach/writing/reading etc and trying to take control away from the right side of my brain, the side it was originally wired into.

I've talked to many individuals over the past 14 years or so and while I don't have actual numbers, I would guestimate that a good 80% of those I talked to who are dyslexic started their life off as a lefty and were converted to righties.

Like I said, it's nothing concrete, it's just a theory of mine. But it's something to ponder

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was great of you to help her. At my house if my boys have probs with math they better ask their dad for help (he deals with math stuff daily). Me, I got told by my grade 10 teacher that if I promise to never, ever take math again he would pass me. I got 50% and that was with tutoring. Didn't take a math class after that, but left school with 4 OAC English classes. I was more an English and Humanitiies type person!

I hope your niece does well with her tests!