Bengal Cats Ancestor

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nial, that was awesome for me to see! I can absolutely see that cat's physical traits in Penny, and I can see the absence of the tabby cat - what an amazing thesis project!

I'm in awe...literally...

Thank you for sharing.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow that is amazing. Such a beautiful cat! In one of our Universities here there's a Biodiversity Museum where one of the exhibits is a preserved body of an Asian Leopard Cat. It was found as roadkill and taken back for display. It could be the last Asian Leopard Cat seen in the wild here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BabyWukong

Oh wow that is amazing. Such a beautiful cat! In one of our Universities here there's a Biodiversity Museum where one of the exhibits is a preserved body of an Asian Leopard Cat. It was found as roadkill and taken back for display. It could be the last Asian Leopard Cat seen in the wild here.
Really? Where are you located? The asian leopard cat isn't on the threatened/endangered species list for most countries where they are indigenous.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well bred spotted Bengals certainly bear a striking resemblance to their wild ancester.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Nial, that was awesome for me to see! I can absolutely see that cat's physical traits in Penny, and I can see the absence of the tabby cat - what an amazing thesis project!

I'm in awe...literally...

Thank you for sharing.
My pleasure Betsy!

I'm always looking for little bits and pieces of the ALC coming out in my bengals. A certain pose, physical trait or behavior that reminds me that these guys still have a touch of that wild blood coursing through their veins.

I was pretty shocked to find that video on You Tube. There are very few videos of ALC's on the net.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

My pleasure Betsy!

I'm always looking for little bits and pieces of the ALC coming out in my bengals. A certain pose, physical trait or behavior that reminds me that these guys still have a touch of that wild blood coursing through their veins.

I was pretty shocked to find that video on You Tube. There are very few videos of ALC's on the net.
Nial, have you ever been able to be around an ALC? Can you tell us more about them, like: How big are they? Have you ever touched one? Do you see a lot of them in your Bengals now?

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Nial, have you ever been able to be around an ALC? Can you tell us more about them, like: How big are they? Have you ever touched one? Do you see a lot of them in your Bengals now?
So far I haven't been fortunate enough to be introduced to a captive ALC. I've seen many pictures and a few videos and have talked with breeders who have one or two of them.
Someday I hope to meet one in person. They are very shy animals and usually only bond closely to one human, after being bottle fed as babies. They tend not to like visitors, so most breeders won't allow it because it can stress the cat out. Just taking them to the Vet can be a huge ordeal.

They are generally very small cats. 6 to 10 pounds. Some of the subspecies are bigger or smaller depending on location.

The goal for bengal breeders is to make our cats resemble the ALC as closely as possible while avoiding all the shyness and reclusive behavior that the ALC is known for. I've been able to nail down the outgoing, lovable temperament over the years and all my lines produce sweet cats without fail. Now I'm working on refining the look we are all after.

I felt it was most important to develope consistantly friendly cats first. Afterall who wants this beautiful leopard look alike that hides under the bed all day where no one can see him?

I have a particular line of bengals who exhibit what I feel are ALC traits. The big nocturnal eyes, the ALC "freeze" (which cracks me up when they do it), white bellys with jet black spots, paw submerged in the water when they drink, small rounded ears, convex profile.

We'll be working alot with this line for the next 2 years, as I am trying very hard to lock in some genes and have them consistantly appear generation after generation.

I will also be getting 2 filial females within the next year. The breedings are already set up.

They will both be F2's. So, effectively 25% ALC.

These girls will be used in conjunction with the line I mentioned above to further lock in desirable genes. The ALC grandsire of the girls I will be getting is not in any of my pedigrees, so it will be beneficial to have a completely new wild bloodline introduced.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nial, what is "the ALC freeze," exactly?

I've seen Penny come to a complete standstill, one paw up and she'll stand there completely motionless for a moment, almost like a dog on point, then BOING! She's off and running.

Is that what you mean?

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Nial, what is "the ALC freeze," exactly?

I've seen Penny come to a complete standstill, one paw up and she'll stand there completely motionless for a moment, almost like a dog on point, then BOING! She's off and running.

Is that what you mean?
One of the things that ALC's do sometimes is "freeze" in place and remain motionless, like a statue, no blinking, nothing. I've been told by people who own them, that this is usually done when they are nervous about something and that they will stay frozen like that for long periods of time. Usually until they are comforted or the perceived threat is removed.

Kahekili and Spellbound are famous for doing this, although they don't seem to do it out of nervousness. Spellbound usually purrs when she does it and she stares, but not at anything in particular. Her freezes usually last less than a minute, because I'm laughing at her and she gets distracted.
She also does the freeze if I'm cleaning her ears, like say before a show. Makes it real easy to get the job done!

Now I'm waiting to see if Spellbound's kids, (Tuscany, Cypress and Jasper) are going to do this.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

Wow! Amazing!!

The ALC in the video really reminds me of your Loki.
Who I happen to think is just a gorgeous boy!
Thanks Eva! Loki is going to be a papa in about 2 weeks. Our first litter from him. It's really going to be exciting to see these kittens.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Thanks Eva! Loki is going to be a papa in about 2 weeks. Our first litter from him. It's really going to be exciting to see these kittens.
Ahhh you shouldn't have said anything Nial!
I look forward to pics of his gorgeous boys. And girls!

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats a facinating video, thanks for sharing. I do see some ALC traits peeking out in Nikita. Especially the walk I think. I would love to meet one in person but im not excecting to since they're so shy.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What happens to the sterile early generation males? I have been wondering about that but I've never asked, I think probably because I'm afraid of what the answer might be.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

What happens to the sterile early generation males? I have been wondering about that but I've never asked, I think probably because I'm afraid of what the answer might be.
They are sold as pets. They usually command a very high price, as they are in big demand. $3k and up is the norm.