Long-haired?

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was wondering how do you tell if kittens are long haired? Because I've always noticed that they had longer hair-but I though that wasnormal. But after seeing Divas kittens-they all look short haired and make mine look longhaired. Right now I dont have any updated pictures of them, because i'm not with them untill Thursday, and then I'll have pics by Friday. But i can show you some older ones, that I have uploaded already.
http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/Bethany_11/
Thats my main photobucket album.. Most of those pics are from when they were really young.
http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ny_11/Kittens/
Thats my sub album, some of the pics are newer, but pretty old.
I'll get better pics soon, that you can really see the kittens and their hair in.
So what do you think?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh and the mom and dad are both shorthaired. And I dont konw anything about their granparents.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does their fur look like Butch and Sundances length. Also how old are they? Their fur is like rabbit fur length and they were 7 weeks in these pics. Their dad was medium hair mom is shorthair. I also have 2 medium hair fosters and a long hair foster and they are much fluffier then these guys.
Butch

Sundance

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah they do look like that, and some of them almost alittle longer I would guess. I could tell you for sure if they were right her next to me..

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With both parents being shorthair the kittens are probably shorthair. For them to be longhair both parents would need to carry the longhair gene and then the kittens would need the longhair gene from both parents to be longhaired. Usually that would be only one kitten out of the litter getting both longhair genes. The rest would either carry the longhair gene or have both shorthair genes, making them shorthair.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Keisha

Yeah they do look like that, and some of them almost alittle longer I would guess. I could tell you for sure if they were right her next to me..
Butch and Sundance are the moore plusher rabbity furrish kind of kittens. Their mom has the same fur. While Skye is very short hair that just lays flat and all of her kittens are the same way. It gives them a more sleek look. Butch and Sundance are more the fluffy kitten look. While long and medium haired kittens are more fluffier then even that.

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So their not long or medium haired? They are just fluffy?

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Keisha

So their not long or medium haired? They are just fluffy?
Yep! If both parents were Shorthair then its not likely you would even get 1 long or medium haired kitten.

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh well thats good, I didnt really wan long-haired kittens.

And I thought that the dad was short-haried, i mean i didnt get a really good upclose look at him, because he was feral. So i guess he could have been long haired, but i'm leaning more towards short..

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would guess they are shorthair - maybe ONE of them might turn out longer hair (semi-long) if both parents are carrying the longhair gene.

In our barn cats we only had ONE kitten in several litters that grew up to be longhair (calico) and she didn't look like it as a very young kitten. Another we thought might wind up longhair, by the time she was a few months old - it was shorthair.

So unless you know the parents and its controlled breeding (as in purebred) you can be surprised in mixed breeds.

USUALLY longhair kittens are pretty fluffy, more then normal, but still no real guarentee.

From your pictures you've posted - they all look like shorthair kittens

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, thankyou! I'm curious to see what they turn out as!.

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All I can say is those are some GORGEOUS kittens!!
Do you have homes for any of them yet?

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mine? or hers? thanks (if you are talking to me) I dont have any homes lined up for mine though. They will stay here unless a trusted family friend inquires about them.