What can I do to itch and clean my cat for her? funnel on head

smoky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat got an abscess removed and cant clean or itch herself. What can I use to do it for her, or something I can hold out and she can walk past and rub herself on it?

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well they do seem to manage themselves. One of mine had a cat-collar on for over 5 weeks and she did all the necessary herself
The biggest problem was walking about and getting stuck under chairs and things, so that was the main thing I watched out for. You do need to keep an eye on them when they have those hideous collars on

Have you noticed your cat having problems ? you mentioned not cleaning ?

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't really want her to be able to scratch it, as scratching can make the area more prone to infection. That's why she has the cone. You may be able to try flushing the wound with saline solution (though check with your vet first) to keep the wound clean. As for the rest of her, you can help her stay cleaner by brushing her. After a couple of days, you can try taking the cone off while you're watching her.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

You don't really want her to be able to scratch it, as scratching can make the area more prone to infection. That's why she has the cone. You may be able to try flushing the wound with saline solution (though check with your vet first) to keep the wound clean. As for the rest of her, you can help her stay cleaner by brushing her. After a couple of days, you can try taking the cone off while you're watching her.
oh right, I thought the OP meant just general cleaning and not the abscess..............

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

oh right, I thought the OP meant just general cleaning and not the abscess..............
I'm assuming they meant general cleaning - I'm sure they don't want to itch the kitties abscess

I would just brush your kitty regularly to help keep her clean, and that'll remove the loose fur which may be annoying her.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Oliver had the old lampshade head last summer when he accidentally split his foot open after being startled... haha, he was pathetic with it on, but I would take 30 minute time periods or so and give him some relief... I'd remove the collar and watch him like a hawk, if he went to go for the bad foot, I was right there to stop him, but he could get the crazies out, use the potty (which he refused to do with the cone on - he's a digger and couldnt do that with the collar), clean other parts of his body, eat/drink, etc.... like I said, he was really pathetic with it on, I'm sure he could have done most of these things with the collar on, but simply refused to and since I was around I was able to give him breaks.... you could try giving your kitty breaks from the collar after several days, so the wound has some initial healing time, but you MUST watch your cat when she's collar-less so she doesnt go for the wound

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smoky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i dont want to take the funnel off. I dont want to touch the wound. its just if she want to scratch her neck she cant I can put my hand in and scratch it for her, but she might try to spin round and rub her wound on me.

bruce&sheila

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am having similar issues with Sheila, who has a collar on after being spayed. The nurse at the vet advised me to get some cotton wool and water, and wipe her face periodically, especially after eating. She seems to really appreciate it.

When I see her trying to scratch, I put my hand inside the collar and scratch for her, which she also likes! I also wipe her all over with the cotton wool and water when she is doing that pathetic effort to groom herself (and just ends up licking the collar!). This she also likes - until I clean her rear end, which she's not so keen on! I am also brushing her every day, to help remove loose hairs and make her feel cleaner.

I have also been wiping the collar, but today I noticed that it was getting a bit dirty/greasy inside because of her licking it so much. Plain water wasn't really getting it clean without a lot of scrubbing, which she wasn't enjoying, so I ended up putting a dot of washing up liquid on the cotton wool, which helped a lot - I of course tried to rinse it well afterwards. I hope this was ok to do for a cat?

I can't really help with your issues about the abscess, but it sounds as though you're doing what you can for her. If she spins round and tries to rub her wound on you I'm sure it wouldn't do much harm as long as you move away as soon as she tries.

Good luck with keeping her clean and comfortable, and keeping her spirits up! It's not much fun for them with a collar on, is it?

sooty_94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by smoky

My cat got an abscess removed and cant clean or itch herself. What can I use to do it for her, or something I can hold out and she can walk past and rub herself on it?
Hello
sounds like my cat. I've found that she is getting used to having one of those collars on her. Just keep patting her and brush off any excess dirt. I think that's sufficient. That's what I do anyway, I pamper my cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smoky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does it affect their night visibilty having the funnel on can they see the funnel at night time?