Is this normal

puss_in_boots

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello I just wanted some advice. I wanted to help out a cat that will be put to sleep if he can't find a home. I offered to take him in to help out. These people that have the cat are a rescue group that live a couple of towns away. They people I was in contact with (from the rescue group) seemed normal for a while and a put pushy like they really wanted a home for him. Then the person I was in contact (from rescue group) with found a person on a cat forum that lives close to me. She hasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t met this girl in person and would have only known her for a few days. She wants this girl that lives nearby to come around my house and inspect it before I am allowed to look after the cat. I know she might be worried about the cat but I don't understand how this 'girl' is so noble and trustworthy when she doesn't know her. From my point, this girl is not an animal attendant or a vet and does not have any qualifications. She could be ANYONE. Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s like asking somebody online 'oh I am coming to meet you give me your address and Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll come and inspect your home'. I feel like I am being treated like a criminal when the bottom line is a cat needs help and I want to help it and give it a home. These people I have been in contact with are often shady, illusive and vague in their details. I have never met this 'girl' that lives near me and I don't know a thing about her. Does this sound professional? Or are these people freaky like I think they are? Or Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m going mad

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are going to be fostering the kitty I don't think it is weird if they want to check your home out. I think most do not do this but I have heard of it before.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have experience with canine rescue groups than feline rescue groups. You would never be allowed to foster without a home visit or two. Though the groups prefer a member does the home visit, they would rather have a neutral thrid party do it than lose a potential good foster home or release a pet to a bad home.
i would worry more about a group that doesn't do home visits.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Them wanting to make some sort of inspection /visit isnt unusual at all.
Feks in Sweden it is quite common. Sometimes they even exagerrate this some...

The new here is the "inspector" / visitor isnt none from the shelter/rescue group, but some other forum-member, new to them. THIS is rather unusual.

But what to do with limited resources? Better half then nothing!

Look at it from the positive side.
You are all working for the best of the cats.
The rescue/shelter group. You, and the neighbor girl.

If your home is what you say it is, you will get OK from the visitor.
And you will get a new cat-acguitance. You may perhaps cooperate with her should it be necessary??

Take it easy, and proceed with your good work!

sweet72947

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by puss_in_boots

These people I have been in contact with are often shady, illusive and vague in their details. I have never met this 'girl' that lives near me and I don't know a thing about her. Does this sound professional? Or are these people freaky like I think they are? Or Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m going mad
Rescues should never be "shady, illusive and vague". They should always be straightforward and honest with their adopters. And MOST of the time I would say that home visits are done by somebody who is already part of the orgnanization, NOT some random person off an Internet forum.

Trust your gut. If you feel that something is wrong, then find a different rescue that you feel comfortable with.